PDA

View Full Version : Computer hell p

icachum2
01-08-2010, 02:37 PM
OOPS! accidentally deleted important data from Excel (2007) worksheet. I don't have it backed up anywhere. And I really need to get the data back.
Can it be recovered?
Can I purchase recovery software?
Do you have the skills? ( I have a boat, lets work something out)

Geek squad said they can't recover it if it isn't in the recycle bin
I found an old Norton backed up file from July 09 but need to try to get more recent
OS= Win XP

DarkShadow
01-08-2010, 02:48 PM
So u deleted data, and re-saved the file under the same name?

You can try to "revert" to a previous version of the file if your version of Excel provides it.

icachum2
01-08-2010, 03:08 PM
I have "convert" option, but I don't see a revert option. Could it be hidden in the toolbar somewhere?

icachum2
01-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Yes, deleted and then saved with the same name. Won't do that again

Ricky-Ray
01-08-2010, 03:28 PM
If you deleted data off the workbook then saved over it then sorry the data is gone UNLESS you have a backup copy somewhere else.

lalo56
01-08-2010, 03:32 PM
You can try to restore your computer to a previous set point. You can also find software "getdataback depending what format your harddrive is it would either be ntfs or fat32 version of the software.

Fire Ball
01-08-2010, 03:56 PM
The Geek Squad sucks. I know a lot more than most of their employees and I am only 17... Try out Recuva. You will probably be able to recover the file with relative ease. You you need anymore help, just ask! I hope it goes well!
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Ricky-Ray
01-08-2010, 09:52 PM
You guys are missing the point. He deleted data of a workbook and then saved over it. Recovering from a restore point or trying to use a recovery software is not going to resolve it. He's written over the data file. Even trying to recover the temp file is not going to work because he's already saved the file and closed the program/file. Once you do that the temp file would have been automatically been deleted by the system.

Fire Ball
01-08-2010, 10:21 PM
You guys are missing the point. He deleted data of a workbook and then saved over it. Recovering from a restore point or trying to use a recovery software is not going to resolve it. He's written over the data file. Even trying to recover the temp file is not going to work because he's already saved the file and closed the program/file. Once you do that the temp file would have been automatically been deleted by the system.

Actually, with Recuva, it will show the different versions of the file if it was delete and then saved and not simply overwritten. It might actually show them too if it was overwritten.

He should be able to get it back.

hoytrecurver
01-08-2010, 10:28 PM

True in the sense of Windows. The temp files are not really gone but marked by Windows not to display any deleted files. I have actually recovered older versions of the same file by using SystemRescueCD. It is a Linux bootable CD that has a few programs to view NTFS and recover deleted/missing files from a bad HDD. It's not that user friendly since it uses command-line.

Geek Squad is a joke. A friend of mines had his computer serviced by them. They had it for a few months only to still have the same problem.