PDA

View Full Version : New Rod Question: Fenwick HMX Casting

gavin310
01-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Just had a rod given to me and I'm wondering what it's best used for... Here are the specs:

- Fenwick HMX Graphite Casting Rod
- Medium heavy
- 8' 6" - 2 piece
- 1/2 - 1 1/2 oz. lure
- 10-20 lb. line

The line rating is pretty high, so I'm not sure exactly what type of fishing it's made for. Like should I pair it with my Cardiff 300 or my Avet SX? I'm kinda inexperienced with different rod types.

sansou
01-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Between those 2 reels, my opinion is the Cardiff 300.

Looks like a possible "light inshore" setup among other applications (fresh - big swimbaits?).

Have fun with it and post up a report with it!!

bsp
01-08-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm thinking it's intended use is as a heavier steelhead rod (don't know any other style of 8'6", 2 piece rods).

Sansou is dead on with the Cardiff 300 and light inshore application. I'd run 15lb on it and use it to toss swimbaits for calicos and sandies or small spoons for bonita and barracuda. It'll probably make a decent 1/2 day rod for spring and summer. Give it a shot and see.

I wouldn't recommend it as a big freshwater swimbait rod if it's two pieces and can only go up to 1.5ozs. You would probably break it casting an 8in, 4oz or 5oz bait. It should work for the baits in it's weight range though, so Mattlures Baby Bass, Ultimate Bluegills, Spro 4in BBZ shads, and Huddleston shads could be decent.

gavin310
01-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Great info. Thanks guys. I'll pair it with my Cardiff.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a steelhead rod too. That came up quite a bit when googling the rod.

I was planning on spooling the Cardiff with 30 lb. braid. The rod is pretty stiff to begin with... will braided line just start ripping lips or do you guys think it will be fine? I've never used a rod this stiff for anything this small (stripers, calicos, etc.).

bsp
01-09-2010, 10:39 PM
50lb braid and run a topshot if you feel like having braid but want some stretch.

gavin310
01-12-2010, 10:32 AM
50lb braid and run a topshot if you feel like having braid but want some stretch.

Cool, thanks