PDA

View Full Version : First halibut of 2010 off p.c.h and sunset

Fishbones
01-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Headed out to do some shore fishing up the coast just off pch,I pulled up to the parking lot to be greeted by a friendly parking attendant and because it was my first time fishing there i asked him where the spots are and he directed me to a few so i parked, scanned the water to see where i would start. There was only 3 surfers in the area so fishing room was open.Originally i was planning on catching some poptart perch for a small lunch.I started by setting up my gear a rod, Daiwa Sealine Graphite 7'10" medium light Reel,Abu Garcia 302i loaded with 10lb big game line, i rigged up a double dropper loop about 3' in lenght with 2 trouble hooks size 12 and a 3oz weight. I walked down to the rocks and pulled off some mussel for bait and casted away for about a hour with no bites, there was a small amount of grass,weeds,kelp along with rocks all over so i moved on down the shore, as i walked by two surfers i greeted them and asked if they were headed out or just finished up and he said just about to surf then asked me want i was fishing for and i said the usual..anything and he replied use a aligator... i kinda chuckled and corrected him you mean a crocodile and he said yeah thats it and directed me to some rocks and said fish those rocks right in front of them is open sand so i thanked him and continued to walk over there and tied on a 1/2oz white leadhead with eyes and a 3" bass trix smelt pattern and started to fish..the waves started to build and the fog started up santa monica coast, on my 10th cast i feel the thump of what i knew was a butt, i set the hook and battled the lil guy to the surf YES...SKUNK OFF...i didnt have a tape on me but guessed it to be 19" give or take a fishermans tale LoL
and released it..thanked the fish gods and now i was pumped and it was on i continued to fish the beach for 30mins more before i broke off on some rocks and called it a day cuz it was 0 visibility from the fog and i was ready to go....i will most deff be back for his bigger brother... fishbones
http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r428/AROCK1_photos/480340753_1683402366_0.jpg

lngbchfnhnter
01-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Right on! What a great start!:Smile: Thanks for reporting..

Jaysuuun
01-07-2010, 09:58 PM
I used to not care for the the flashtrix, but its become one of my favorites now. Congrats on your first butt of the year. :Cool:

BIGRED KILLA
01-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the report nice little hali, that plastic looks killer like a little anchovy. keep it up

Wingnut
01-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Nice job on the first Hali of the year... now go get your first legal of the year. :Big Grin:

flyngby
01-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Congrats on a nice start in the New Year!!!!

May many more come your way!

Steve

P.S. I tried those baits yesterday in NPH for none and switched to the norm for success! I will try them again for sure!

Fishbones
01-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Thank you i wish you all the same....WoW no fish on the basstrix aka halibut crack lol
if my memory serves me right so far im 3 for 3 on it and thats not including the missed bites....keep me posted on future use please...thanks an goodfishing.....fishbones

murrieta angler
01-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Your persistance has paid off. I just read your other report, and the one that got away, now this one for a 19"er. Next up! LEGAL...:Cool:
Thanks for the report and pics.

BIGBASS MB
02-04-2010, 07:51 PM
I always say that time on the water is time well spent....

victor101
02-04-2010, 08:25 PM
congrats on the first of many of 2010!

fishshep
02-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Good report and interesting story, because it was not
just happenstance you got directed to the Hali Catch !!!
A good day already ordained for you !!!

corkoner
02-06-2010, 04:50 PM
thanks for the update. i have to hit up the surf one of these days....

Fishbones
02-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Its a great spot and i plan on hitting it up in the next few days...if the storm dont screw things up....fishbones