PDA

View Full Version : What's the definition of insanity?

M@M
01-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Fished the duct again today. Started at 5:30am in Phelan (Sheepcreek Rd.)
Next spot Johnson Rd. (found CHECK 62 384.26) .....Than Wilson Ranch Rd, Caughlin Rd.,and Duncan Rd. Threw pretty much everything I had even some topwater lures. Fished till Noon. Not even one bite!! SHOULD OF TAKEN THE TRUCK. Didn't realize all the roads except Sheepcreek were dirtroads. I guess I didn't look close enough on Google. I just washed the freakin car yesterday, guess what I going to do now?....Anyways.... No flow, water looked like it was moving VERY slowly around 11am but I think it was because of the light wind. It was a beautiful sunrise and the weather was great! I just don't get it! :Embarrassed:I need some one to show me how to catch a fish!!!!!!!:Neutral:

HuskerRod
01-07-2010, 01:37 PM
I'm not exactly sure what the definition of insanity is, but I tell you this much, when they let me out of this straight jacket in the mental ward I sure will look into it.

Natural Lefty
01-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Actually, insanity is a legal definition having to do with a person being out of touch with reality and not knowing what he/she is doing. It is not a psychological term per se. I suppose being "crazy" about fishing could qualify as insanity sometimes. :Shocked:

fisherman 2010
01-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Fished the duct again today. Started at 5:30am in Phelan (Sheepcreek Rd.)
Next spot Johnson Rd. (found CHECK 62 384.26) .....Than Wilson Ranch Rd, Caughlin Rd.,and Duncan Rd. Threw pretty much everything I had even some topwater lures. Fished till Noon. Not even one bite!! SHOULD OF TAKEN THE TRUCK. Didn't realize all the roads except Sheepcreek were dirtroads. I guess I didn't look close enough on Google. I just washed the freakin car yesterday, guess what I going to do now?....Anyways.... No flow, water looked like it was moving VERY slowly around 11am but I think it was because of the light wind. It was a beautiful sunrise and the weather was great! I just don't get it! :Embarrassed:I need some one to show me how to catch a fish!!!!!!!:Neutral:The more of your posts I read,the less I want to fish Phelan area. Google up Bako by hwy 119..1/2 oz traps,8# test,cool area to explore.

fisherman 2010
01-07-2010, 03:36 PM
The more of your posts I read,the less I want to fish Phelan area. Google up Bako by hwy 119..1/2 oz traps,8# test,cool area to explore.Have you seen other fishers out in that area?I used to drive through there during work and never saw anyone on the duct.Always wanted to try it though,as it is closer to me.There must be a part on duct leading to there that mature fish can't get through.Have you seen anything,alive or dead at all?Just curious.

mhughes55
01-07-2010, 04:04 PM
I was told Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result. I think one of my philosophy teachers told me it. Sounds like that definition could work in this case.

Nessie Hunter
01-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Insanity !!!! :ROFL: Is A place I feel safe at!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insanity

Matt, thats one of the reasons I stopped fishing the local Duct.. I got pretty frustrated trying to get the Stripers and the desire faded away...

I could SEE them, and they just gave me the finger!!!! :Embarrassed:

yolo
01-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Well we have a visual. Now we know they are in there. Did you really see a striper or some other fish breaking the water (usually sunrise and sunset and usually around siphons) thinking it's a striper? 95% of the time they are carp and sometimes catfish.

BakoBassin
01-07-2010, 06:17 PM
I was told Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result. I think one of my philosophy teachers told me it. Sounds like that definition could work in this case.
This is the definition I go by. It is also the definition that describes my aqueduct fishing skills.

I know my lack of success is due to my lack of confidence when fishing there. One day I'll find my mojo there.

fisherman 2010
01-07-2010, 07:21 PM
This is the definition I go by. It is also the definition that describes my aqueduct fishing skills.

I know my lack of success is due to my lack of confidence when fishing there. One day I'll find my mojo there.I caught two at lost hills,been there ten times,two at crows landing,like this spot always a good flow,been there like 20 times,a pig at kettleman,gave to local kids,been there about 5 times.Utica rd,got a 4#,been there about 5 times. Tupman I got 6 in a row,last one 10#,been there 20 times, only caught that one time.Yeah,it is insane,I c/r them too!Then I see all these tacos!!!

sawoobley
01-07-2010, 11:21 PM
O.K. this is getting a little depressing. Hesparia needs to be worked more at the aqueduct. M@M let me know if you are going up there Saturday and I may meet you up there. I was thinking of using one pole to fish for catfish or carp and the other for stripers. Someone has to pull something out of there. I cannot help you fish (blind leading the blind) but I can add some pressure to the area. Eventually, I'll get the hang of it. :Cool:

By the way I'll be coming from the La Habra area.

billy b
01-08-2010, 06:41 AM
definition

mhughes has the commonly accepted definition

seal
01-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I think it's Hesperia that causes the insanity, I got it too! Water looks too fishy before Silverwood not to be holding stripers.

Spear Hunter
01-08-2010, 08:46 AM
M@M

Try the duct in the palmdale area. There is a pumping station in the Little Rock area and someone told me that the bigger fish dont make it past this. I have never caught a striper below this spot always above the station. So maybe there is some truth in it. Use google earth to follow the duct and find all the streets where it crosses. Good luck in your search for the right spot.

M@M
01-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Have you seen other fishers out in that area?I used to drive through there during work and never saw anyone on the duct.Always wanted to try it though,as it is closer to me.There must be a part on duct leading to there that mature fish can't get through.Have you seen anything,alive or dead at all?Just curious.

I have only seen two other people while fishing. Both were fishing for catfish. I have seen a catfish(approx. 1lb) swimming on the surface that was dying and the other day I saw some guys snagging some (2-3in. tule perch?) at check 65 with a treble hook. I ask them "Do you actually eat those things?" He said " Yes, his Grandma dries them out" I told him"That's illegal and that I've seen the game warden come around here." (I never have)

I caught two at lost hills,been there ten times,two at crows landing,like this spot always a good flow,been there like 20 times,a pig at kettleman,gave to local kids,been there about 5 times.Utica rd,got a 4#,been there about 5 times. Tupman I got 6 in a row,last one 10#,been there 20 times, only caught that one time.Yeah,it is insane,I c/r them too!Then I see all these tacos!!!

Fisherman 2010
You've caught some nice fish! Thanks for the info!

M@M

Try the duct in the palmdale area. There is a pumping station in the Little Rock area and someone told me that the bigger fish dont make it past this. I have never caught a striper below this spot always above the station. So maybe there is some truth in it. Use google earth to follow the duct and find all the streets where it crosses. Good luck in your search for the right spot.

Thanks Spear Hunter. I'm going to try that one of these days.

M@M
01-08-2010, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=sawoobley;421104]O.K. this is getting a little depressing. Hesparia needs to be worked more at the aqueduct. M@M let me know if you are going up there Saturday and I may meet you up there.

sawoobley, check your messages.

M@M
01-08-2010, 12:01 PM

Isn't it doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

yolo
01-08-2010, 01:38 PM
M@M

While this is true that the bigger fish can't get through, the eggs and fry do pass through and become bigger in the area after the Pearblossom plant. The same thing goes for all the other pumping or power plants along the duct system. The fry, eggs etc that make it through grow up in the plant to plant sections. If your theory Spear Hunter was true then there would be no stripers in Palmdale either because they can't get through the biggest plant of them all that pumps through the Tehachapi mountains. Just some food for thought.

Does anyone know what the dump to Silverwood consists of? Are there grates there too like at the plants or it flows right into Silverwood? It probably doesn't matter because if there is a grate then the bigger fish get trapped like plant to plant. If there is no obstruction then they can freely swim between Silverwood and the next plant which is Pearblossom. Either way there should be stripers in there. If they can get back up, it would make sense for so many minis in Silverwood because they are running up to spwan in the flowwing water??? Once again more proof that they have to be in there. Just some random educated guesses on my part.

seal
01-08-2010, 02:02 PM
2 syphons one just up the hill at the beginning of the last stretch before Silverwood (by airport) and one at the end, not being that familiar with the terminology (grates) I think both of these syphons have obstructions that would offer a challenge to large stripers. The stripers would have to come up hill (and underground) initially then there is about 2 mile (guess) section un-obstructed prior to where the Duct dives downhill and underground again by the large ranch, from there it empties into Silverwood. There are fish in there, I've seen striper, perch and many catfish there so fish are present but not sure about numbers.

jim532
01-08-2010, 04:07 PM

Actually that is not a definition of insanity at all. I beleive it was a quote from a letter written by Albert Einstein to philosopher Maurice Solovine.

yolo
01-08-2010, 04:31 PM
2 syphons one just up the hill at the beginning of the last stretch before Silverwood (by airport) and one at the end, not being that familiar with the terminology (grates) I think both of these syphons have obstructions that would offer a challenge to large stripers. The stripers would have to come up hill (and underground) initially then there is about 2 mile (guess) section un-obstructed prior to where the Duct dives downhill and underground again by the large ranch, from there it empties into Silverwood. There are fish in there, I've seen striper, perch and many catfish there so fish are present but not sure about numbers.

Siphons are no problem. You can walk through a pipe that is underground that the water flows through in the siphons. All the plants have metal grates that have openings between the bars that are about 2 1/4". They catch debris that gets scooped up ever so often by the crew at the plants. You can't have all that debris go through the impellers that pump the water. This is why a year or older fish can't pass through and they grow up and spend their lives in the sections between plants. Looking on Bing maps, I wonder what's in the building off the 173. It looks to have some sort of crane apparatus but not sure. At the top of the hill, it just looks like 4 barrels to drop the water down.