PDA

View Full Version : 7/8 Native Sun 3/4 day

k3vin_kim
07-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Today was a day where fishing was just... fun again. FunJunkie74 and I went on 2 overnight trips in 2 consecutive weeks and the Tide Change didn't produce 1 YT or WSB or anything else worth mentioning. Rather frustrating. So spur of the moment, before the work week started we decided on going on a kick-back, non threatening 3/4 day out of Berth 55. It was an easy going, mild weathered day.

Except for one thing that sucked was when I got to the landing around 5:30Am, Funjunkie was already at the front of the line buying his ticket. He bought my ticket and he told me to get him back on our next 3/4 trip. OK, no problem. Then when we got on the boat, he dished out a couple of more bucks for our gunny sacks. At this point, I'm feeling kinda bad because he's paying for everything up to this point. Then as I'm rigging up my jig stick and Joe was putting his tackle/backpack in its spot, the Jackpot roster comes around. I didn't want to bother FJ anymore so I decided not to play the jackpot... and you can guess what happened at the end of the day.

On a cattle boat, on a day that I decide not to play the jackpot, I just happen to get the biggest fish (barry)on the boat. What really sucks is, after I caught it and it was pretty much for sure there was not going to be a bigger fish than the barry that I landed, Joe looks at me and goes... "kev, you do realize that I still owe YOU $10 from that one time you bought me Ruby's at Balboa pier."

"DDDDDOWWWW~!!!"

Whatever, all in all, it was a good day. (minus the part where the captain threatened to turn the boat back w/o rainchecks b'cuz some busters kept smoking weed in the restrooms).

We started at the Horseshoe and the boat landed a number of nice sized Calicos and Sandies. Then we did what every 3/4 day boat does when it's waiting for the Barries to show up... we went to Sculpin country for about 2 hours. After the boat bagged limits on the Rattle snakes, we looked for more action and found it under a group of crashing birds. I threw a blue/white yo-yo Tady and on the third try, about 1/2 way down I got hit with a nice barry strike and landed it.

It was 1 of 2 barries that were caught BUT... the smaller one, caught by JOSE (I know his name b'cuz he engraved it into his jigs) won the Jackpot b'cuz JOSE wasn't afraid to ask his partner for $5 stinkin' bucks. After that, the action really died down with only about 3 or 4 more bass on the boat and then we were done.

We're going on another 3/4 day on the Native sun on 7/14 if anyone wants to come.

Funjunkie74
07-08-2007, 08:07 PM
You gotta love fishing with light line!!! :twisted:

You know Kev, after 51 bucks what's an extra $5??? Geez!
You "could've" won and paid me back...karma...

Next week...we will hit those barries with Senor Kim and take his proud trophy picture!!

FJ74

p.s. Good report! Didn't know you could write...LOL!

ghetto dad
07-08-2007, 08:13 PM
great report guys, looks like you had a good trip.....

sansou
07-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Very nice!

Looks like you guys had a good time!

Not entering the jackpot, and then catching the JP fish......classic!

basscatcher
07-08-2007, 09:22 PM
i have a question.
is that chef that make that wired snort working thier?

4g63power
07-08-2007, 09:25 PM
good job guys...sounds like you guys had a great time on the water..

Funjunkie74
07-08-2007, 09:34 PM
i have a question.
is that chef that make that wired snort working thier?

I have not the slightest clue as to what you are talking about...?!

A galley cook that makes a weird snorting sound?

FJ74

JapanRon
07-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Hi K3vin_kim,

Most excellent report and pictures. Guess those tugs kinda perked you guys up from the previous boat rides!! :lol:

Hope you threw some plastics along the way for the rattlers. If so, what color?

later,

JapanRon

SOSO
07-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Good job guys! Thats a nice size Cuda!

jplee3
07-10-2007, 02:51 PM
nice berry! wish i could go this sat with you guys but i'll be busy. so many stinkin weddings this summer! i wish i could tell my friends to not get married :| or at least to wait for me. bwahahahaha.

k3vin_kim
07-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Ghetto dad, FJ, Sansou, basscatcher, 4g63power, JapanRon, SOSOFRESH, and Jplee3. Sorry I didn't respond earlier, i'm still new to this board. I guess I'm getting the hang of it though, I'll post up everytime I go out (which is usually once or twice a week).
Who's down to go on a 2.5 day 8/31-9/3 (labor day weekend)? Any takers? Seaforth-Cortez-lmtd load-$500-meals/licnse included.

sansou
07-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the invite Kevin, but I know for a fact I probably can't make it, as I get in from a long trip overseas just days before the FNN event (8/25) and even going to the event will be "pushing" it workwise for me...

I do recommend the Cortez though. Smaller and older (and a little narrower & rocky) boat, but they make up for it with good service and experience!

SOSO
07-10-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the invite Kev, but me and few friends already planned a trip for early August out of Point Loma. If you want to join us you are welcome.