PDA

View Full Version : Need help for the Kids! New to Whittier

fishin417
01-06-2010, 11:57 PM
I know this probably doesn't belong in this section of the network, but am looking for a little help...... I am an avid fisherman Bass, trout, saltwater anything really and live up in Santa Clarita (By Castaic). I'm real familiar with all the lakes north of Los Angeles... Castaic, Pyramid, Pyru, Casitas, Cachuma. However my girlfriend lives down in Whittier with her two kids 9 and 11. I've been dying to get them out on the water and drop some lines, but am not familiar with any lakes, streams, etc down in that area. Does any one know of any places I can take them, with or without a boat?????????

I have a bass boat and a 14" aluminum so we can do just about anything. I just don't know where to go. I'm just looking for an easy place I can take them to get them hooked-up and into the sport. I'm not searching for secrets or sceret spots, just want to find a good place to take the kids out in their area and get them into fishing.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

troutdog
01-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Irvine Lake is less than an hour away and offers solid trout and bass action. If the bite is slow you can take the kids over to the lagoon and get them on some fish with a high percentage of catching.

Have fun...

TD

Hometown
01-07-2010, 12:07 AM
check out puddingstone have not been there in a while but had good fishing there in past

smokinflies
01-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Santa Fe Dam is about 10 mins. away from Whittier. A good place to get the kids feet wet plus you could launch your boat.

Here's a link to SFD's site:

http://parks.lacounty.gov/Parkinfo.asp?URL=cms1_033344.asp&Title=Santa%20Fe%20Dam%20Rec%20Area

No guarantee on catching.

gletemfeelsteelgary
01-07-2010, 12:12 PM
From that location there are a few options:

Santa Ana River Lakes (pay lake-but a higher succes rate potential)

Legg Lake (go there after they stock the trout -check the DFG trout stock website)

Puddingstone lake (check the trout stock again) but redear and bluegill possibilities are good there.

Santa Fe Dam is also in the vicinity but again check the stocking schedules (redear possibilities good there too)

I know there has to be a few city park lakes in the vicinity but I am not too familiar but I'd check the La mirada area.

Also there is Keneth Hanh lake which I beleive should have been stocked this week.

Also don't overlook the pier fishing in the salt but that may be a little more difficult for the kiddies...

To sum up trout or Bluegill/redear would be a good bet (you probably already know that)
Hope this helps...
Good luck,
Gary

DavidE
01-07-2010, 03:05 PM
LA MIRADA REGIONAL PARK is a good idea. I used to fish it when I was a kid. Blue gill and cats mostly. if they wanna be litle ninjas the golf course is across the street.

YELLOWTAIL1420
01-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Irvine lake is the best place to fish for kids

Manny
01-07-2010, 06:02 PM
LA MIRADA REGIONAL PARK is a good idea. I used to fish it when I was a kid. Blue gill and cats mostly. if they wanna be litle ninjas the golf course is across the street.
Agree. La Mirada is scheduled to get stocked this week. Also Ralph B. Clark Park in Fullerton got a nice dump of trout this week. Both are near Whittier. La Mirada Park is free while Clark has a small $3-$5 parking fee.

fishin417
01-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Wow guys, thank you for all the info.... I'm stoaked to try them all!!!! A new lake = a new adventure and it will be twice as good getting some fresh blood hooked on the sport!

basssturd
01-11-2010, 06:12 AM
Check out Ralph b Regional park , also Laguna Lake in Fullerton , bring your trout rods ,2lb test,and power bait. Have fun , remember to respect the limits and keep it clean , Good Luck.( p.s bass c&r a must )