PDA

View Full Version : Where do Crappie Spawn at DVL?

Lightlinejohn
01-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I need some information. It is common knowledge that some of the largest Crappie in Southern California can be caught at the Stairwells on all the Dams at DVL. However, I am unable to determine when and where the Crappie at DVL are spawning. Are they spawning on the North Side of the Lake in the brush, weeds, rocks, etc., or are they spawning else where in the lake? Also, do you know the month or months Crappie generally spawn at DVL? If you know the answers to these questions, you are welcome to ride with me on my Champion in March as I seek out the DVL Crappie.

Thanks,

Lightlinejohn

bluehunter
01-06-2010, 08:54 PM
I need some information. It is common knowledge that some of the largest Crappie in Southern California can be caught at the Stairwells on all the Dams at DVL. However, I am unable to determine when and where the Crappie at DVL are spawning. Are they spawning on the North Side of the Lake in the brush, weeds, rocks, etc., or are they spawning else where in the lake? Also, do you know the month or months Crappie generally spawn at DVL? If you know the answers to these questions, you are welcome to ride with me on my Champion in March as I seek out the DVL Crappie.

Thanks,

Lightlinejohn

Can not help you with where at DVL but I can help you with when as it is contingent on water temperatures following when the fish get out of their winter pattern. That can be from March to mid april depending on the water temp.

Spawning generally begins when
water temperatures reach 62 degrees,
with the most active phases within the
66- to 68-degree range. Stability is
important in both the water temperature
and the levels of the lake.

So you will want to look for water temps getting into the mid 60's after the winter patterns and look for stable water temps at that time. Fish may be spawning at Lake Henshaw but not at El Capitan is El Caps water is not at that level for the active phase of crappie spawn.

Str8t Slabaronies
01-07-2010, 07:11 PM
I've never fished DVL so I can't really help you either with specific locations but what Bluehunter mentioned was on da money with water temps / elevation / water level fluctuation and may I add moon fazes being key as well.

I would simply target the largest coves and flats with brush and stick ups available but out somewhat from the shoreline in 4 to 8ft of water...closest to the known holding areas. Stick and move.

I'm going to give DVL a try this year for the first time. I doubt during the spawn however as SD county got enough action for me. :Wink:

Proof iz n da puddin...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v379/royalty65/?action=view&current=e0a935e2.pbw