PDA

View Full Version : Funniest or strangest way you broke a rod

Fishbones
01-06-2010, 03:53 PM
This was about 15years ago me and my fishing buddy were at newport harbor fishing halibuts and spotted bay bass and the bite was kinda slow so were just drifting around shooting the shad picking off a few fish here and there and started talking about new rods coming out next season and because my buddy is the king of Gloomis's when it comes to owning alot of rods he ask me what rod i was going to purchase next, so we continue to chat and i say to him that i was unhappy with my first Gloomis i bought because it was a little flimsy and i wanted a little more hook set so he mentions a rod and part No. to me and says buy that one next and like a cheap skate i am i said well what about i break this rod and warranty it instead:LOL:.. and sure enuff just as i finished saying that a 10" piece of the tip of my Gloomis rod just breaks off and dangled there..we looked at each other with disbelief:EyePop: ...like WTF just happened....anyways i warranty'd the rod and had it replaced with the bigger beefier unit and never wished apon a broken rod again..........fishbones

HEMAN
01-06-2010, 04:09 PM
i had 4 rods with me on a trip to Barrett Lake in SD. 3 were shimano cumaras and one was a lamiglas. Long story short.. i got lucky. Fell on the cumaras while i was casting with my lamiglas. And broke the tip off all three cuamras in one swoop. needless to say, Shimano replaced them for me. :Envious:

vanillagurilla
01-06-2010, 04:13 PM
i was at gregory with my uncle about 10 years ago and we were riding in his bronco but he put the rods out of the back window the night before and on the way down to the lake he got cold and decided to roll up the window and make all the rods a little shorter hahaha. he was pissed lol.

Fire Ball
01-06-2010, 04:21 PM
I have never broken a rod as far as I know, but my brother had a bobber on his line and then he was kicking it when it was out of the water and we were about to leave. He ended up kicking the tip of his rod when he missed the bobber one time and it broke the tip off! He still hasn't gotten a new rod, lol.

GeordyBass
01-06-2010, 04:28 PM
I was fishin in newport harbor several months ago and I was braggin about my 6'6" Shimano Crucial MH... It was light and powerful yadda yadda, then when I set the hook it broke into 3 pieces...wtf???? I like my carrots and clarus' more now...:ROFL:

Bradakas
01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
while coming back from the bay area I had a freakout moment when putting my rods on the xray conveyer belt. I accidently fed the rods tip first, rather than butt first.

as the belt pushed the rod tips in to the rubber curtains...SNAPP!!! :Shocked: I was heart broken the whole flight back home.

smokehound
01-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Ive only broken one rod in my entire life-- I was carp fishing at eisenhower park, and hooked a MONSTER carp, thing went crazy, I fought it for like 10 minutes, and just when i get him a few feet away-- SNAP, he broke my rod tip with his tail when he thrashed.

that fig bait worked wonders there.

HEMAN
01-06-2010, 05:53 PM
while coming back from the bay area I had a freakout moment when putting my rods on the xray conveyer belt. I accidently fed the rods tip first, rather than butt first.

as the belt pushed the rod tips in to the rubber curtains...SNAPP!!! :Shocked: I was heart broken the whole flight back home.
they let you take your rods on the plane like that? not in bazuka?

City Dad
01-06-2010, 07:46 PM
I was bludgeoning a clown with it... I still chuckle when I think about it.

Bradakas
01-06-2010, 09:08 PM
they let you take your rods on the plane like that? not in bazuka?

yup, I take a bundle of 4-5 two piece rods wrapped with velcro rod ties. Fits fine in the overhead compartment and never is an issue.

I've done it every year with no complaints. TSA folks usually ask what kind of fishing I'm doing

I do have an old brown bazooka tube, but it only holds 2-3 rods, maybe 4 really tight.

I'm probably gonna try to use the tube again later this year. However, I wanna get some fishing decals to distinguish it.

DarkShadow
01-07-2010, 10:06 AM
I was bludgeoning a clown with it.

Do you use braided line for that type of application?

fisherman from long beach
01-07-2010, 10:36 AM
first time taking my lil cousin with me on my boat and he wasstanding up stretching and i was ready to go,then i floored it and he fell and his fat *** crushed my rod eyes bent all up ,well im to blame i guess,but it was funny,till i sen my rod.