PDA

View Full Version : Santa monica shore fishing....

Fishbones
01-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Went down to the beach for a bit. i exited the 10fwy onto pch and parked at the second parking lot beach was beautiful with nice conditions lots of bait in the water. so i started throwing some jerkbaits for a bit with no results then switched over to plastic and still no bites so i rigged on a carolina rig with a motoroil colored grub for the last 30mins of my adventure and on my second to last cast i got bit...with excitement i reeled quickly and brought up a nice smelt.....yes a smelt ..but atleast i got the skunk off my back for this trip.
not sure if they just wernt there or if i was in the wrong area...will be back thursday and plan goin up the coast a lil more........fishbones

Fire Ball
01-05-2010, 04:24 PM
How can you tell if there is bait in the water? Could you see them break the surface? Smelt fight pretty good, but they are junk fish, lol.

smokehound
01-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Lol you think jacksmelt are trash now-- wait til you hook a 20 inch jacksmelt.

When they get big, they put up a fantastic battle on light-med gear.

The bigger ones give nice jumps too.

Im not afraid of the worms. These fish have quality flesh, and fry up GREAT.

Easily to scale them as well. Try spending the whole day targeting them, you will see some nice smelt.

Fire Ball
01-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Lol you think jacksmelt are trash now-- wait til you hook a 20 inch jacksmelt.

When they get big, they put up a fantastic battle on light-med gear.

The bigger ones give nice jumps too.

Im not afraid of the worms. These fish have quality flesh, and fry up GREAT.

Easily to scale them as well. Try spending the whole day targeting them, you will see some nice smelt.

I have actually targeted them before in a harbor and caught some nice BIG ones. They do fight a lot, but the are still trash fish, lol. I have never seem them jump though.

Fishbones
01-05-2010, 06:10 PM
How can you tell if there is bait in the water? Could you see them break the surface? Smelt fight pretty good, but they are junk fish, lol.

i could see medium schools of baitfish is the surf and when i was casting my weight would make a large splash and i say two or three baitfish jumped plus there was large schools of birds just offshore with sum diving....

belive me ...i have had my big smelt adventures and they fight hard and seem to never get tired......fishbones

bones
01-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Nice to hear that the smelt and bait are still around in the bay. That tells me that the flatties will still be hanging out somewhat shallow as long as the swells stay calm. Thanks for the update and hey.....I agree about the big jack smelt.....Big Torpedos can be alot of fun when they are on the chew.

fishincrave
01-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Huuummm about 40 years ago white sea bass was considered trash fish to look at them now LOL.

Sorry man didn't mean to jack your post nice goin brother slow day at the surf is better then many things:LOL:.

Sean

Fishbones
01-06-2010, 02:05 PM
White seabass trash....never......got me a nice lil collection of stones....gunna make a necklace sum day.....

post jacker!!!!! just kiddin....im not like that feel free to speak your mind......

better than many things...for sure......

flyngby
01-06-2010, 07:18 PM
You want to talk trash fish! I caught a 16" Clear Sea Bag in the surf last Sunday! It put up a great fight!

Those Torpedoes are aggressive and do put up a decent fight!

As Bones said! Nice to see they are still in close as there will be others chasing them!!!!

Steve