PDA

View Full Version : Wide open @ skinner......

Fishbones
01-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Thats wide open water but no fish... it was my first time there and wanted to fish some stripers but got skunked. i rented a boat took my clamp on fishfinder,sharpened my hooks,oiled my reels and changed my line but nothing.
we fished ramp#1 an#2...we fished shallow and deep, we fished bait and artificials,trolled,drifted everything...and not even a nibble:Sad:
i didnt see 1 person catch a thing...but sure enuff as we return the rental and ask the worker if he knows of anyone who caught fish today .. he says no...but i just caught a 5lber right now ..damn i say....so he goes on to say that they only bite the first day or two after the trout are put in ...so i'll be back!!!
NEVER GIVE UP......fishbones

sweetfish
01-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Four of us were out there on Sunday in two rentals at ramp #2 first thing in the morning. Usually there would be shad all over that area with birds and fish attacking them, but not on that day. There was no bait anywhere. Must be the full moon. They even planted trout on December 30th. So don't be too bummed. It was really tough out there this past weekend. You will get them next time. BTW, the next trout plant will be January 13th or 14th and they do not allow anyone to fish the area where they plant until the next day to let the trout get settled in.

Fishbones
01-05-2010, 08:48 AM
we were there saturday and i figured that i waited to long instead of heading there when i first heard the bite was on. i did see a few boils and metered some fish just no luck.
After returning home i looked up at the big ol moon and thought "there eating at night with the light on" thats moonlight i figured and there was no need to come out in the day.
kinda sucks that they wont let you fish the stock area....trout settled in...or bass already full and fattened up from the buffet ....LoL......thanks for the tips and shoulder pat.............fishbones

BigBass777
01-05-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm with you guys on this one too. The moon phase could of had an impact. I need to get back to Skinner because it was such a cool place to fish for trout. Have not been to that lake in a long time.

I fished Lake Mission Viejo for 3 straight days (Thurs-Saturday). Thursday it was a good bite but the following 3 days sucked. Friday we caught 5 for 6 anglers. On Saturday my neighbor and I blanked without even a bite. This is a lake where trout limits are not hard to catch. My friend wanted me to go with him on Sunday but I declined due to a cold that hasn't hit me full blown yet. He caught 2 on Sunday which was also a tough bite.