PDA

View Full Version : NPH 7/8

LBCBaller
07-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Planned to float tube NPH with my brother around 5 this morning, but got a lil sick late last nite and didn't really recover fully until 6. Slept until about 9 then ate and headed for Newport at 11. Skies were still overcast and was a lil breezy. Fished about one and half hours before my brother hooked up with a nice spottie, after that it we got bit every few casts, but were having a tough time landing them. Called it a day at 3 with me catching 2 spotties and my brother catching 4 spotties and 1 sand bass. All caught on 3" Big Hammers, I don't think the color really mattered, anything with red in it.

Oh yea, when we were launching our float tubes at 15th street some guy on the dock said that this kid caught a yellow tail, I kinda laughed because it seemed like this guy wasnt very smart. Then after we launched and was heading to our spot we noticed a lot of mullet jumping, so I'm guessing thats what the kid caught because they kinda resemble a small yellow tail.

servant joe
07-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Hey Guy,
Glad you are well now.
Congrat. on your fish. How is tubing? Is it dangerous out there?
servantjoe

SanDimasLMB
07-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Planned to float tube NPH with my brother around 5 this morning, but got a lil sick late last nite and didn't really recover fully until 6. Slept until about 9 then ate and headed for Newport at 11. Skies were still overcast and was a lil breezy. Fished about one and half hours before my brother hooked up with a nice spottie, after that it we got bit every few casts, but were having a tough time landing them. Called it a day at 3 with me catching 2 spotties and my brother catching 4 spotties and 1 sand bass. All caught on 3" Big Hammers, I don't think the color really mattered, anything with red in it.

Oh yea, when we were launching our float tubes at 15th street some guy on the dock said that this kid caught a yellow tail, I kinda laughed because it seemed like this guy wasnt very smart. Then after we launched and was heading to our spot we noticed a lot of mullet jumping, so I'm guessing thats what the kid caught because they kinda resemble a small yellow tail.

Thats also highly possible but hey, if someone caught a juvie salmon in Newport Harbor 3 months ago, I can't see why a YT can't be caught, especially at the Wedge breakwall

KaliDawgFan
07-08-2007, 06:11 PM
got a lil sick late last nite and didn't really recover fully until 6.

By "sick" do you mean drunk? lol j/k

Wecome to the board.

LBCBaller
07-08-2007, 06:55 PM
lmao, I'm only 19 years old and I do not drink, and if I did I wouldn't post anything about it :wink:. I actually had this killer headache, which I think I got from my sinuses acting up.

Well the reason I know it wasn't a yellow tail was that these things were jumping completely out of the water everywhere, I was afraid of one landing in my float tube. We also saw a halibut chase one out of the water and jump with it.

Lightning
07-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Nice report.Welcome aboard.

sonarbp
07-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Hey LBCBaller,

Welcome to the board!!!

I tubed NPH on Sat with about the same results as you......launched at 15th street caught a bunch of spotties and one small...I mean small hali. Yeah the croaker were jumping all over the place..seems like most of the spotties were holding the grass line just off most of the docks.

Might try to get out next sat if you want to go!

sonarbp

komaiaboyz
07-09-2007, 08:22 AM
i fished one of the public docks with my dad and i snagged a tiny 2 inch smelt pinned it on a tiny hook and then i casted it about 5 feet from shore in 4 feet of water and i pulled in a tiny tiny tiny tiny hali. he was maybe 4 or 5 inches. i thought it was pretty cool though

bsp
07-09-2007, 09:03 AM
That YT could have been a yellowfin croaker. They do have yellow tails.

El Weirdo
07-09-2007, 09:20 AM
cudas maybe?