PDA

View Full Version : Short and miserable jetty session!

Jaysuuun
01-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Now I usually don't post skunk reports, but I'm so frustrated right now I wanted to get everyones opinions and suggestions.

So I didn't plan to do any fishing today because I was on-call with work, but I had an itch to go. Figured I would hit up the jetty for a few hours since it's nearby. Didn't expect much today just wanted wet the new surf gear and enjoy the nice weather.

Got there at around 7am and started off casting the hardbait for the first time ever. My very first cast of the morning, my lure was within 8-10ft beyond the rocks and then .. bump..bump....THUNK! I set the hook and the fish begins to pull line. :Shocked: She takes about 3-4 runs. FISH ON! :Fishing Hole:

"This fish is mine!" i'm thinking and there was no way this fish was coming off. Just had to let her run and tire herself out. I did not panic. My gameplan was to beach the fish which was only 3-4 hops away. Everything was perfect. As soon as my feet hit the sand she takes another run. And then I feel sudden slack in my line. :EyePop:

WTF JUST HAPPENED!? I literally wanted to throw my rod into the water as i was screaming obscenities to myself. :Angry: Did I just tie a crappy knot? Did I have too much slack in the line? Was my drag too tight? Upon further inspection I noticed about 6-8ft of my line was shredded and my lure is missing. I was using 10lb XXX Izorline. It's pretty strong stuff, but not strong enough I guess.

Could I have done anything different to land the fish? Or was I just completely outgunned as far as my surf gear is concerned? Just wanted everyones opinions since this was my first surf/shore hali hunt outing.

So that was it. Tied on another hardbait for another bump or two but no takers. Went home skunked. And to add insult to injury I was hit by a rogue wave as I was walking away to go home. :Angry: Happy new year to me.

vanillagurilla
01-03-2010, 02:02 PM
fishing for halis on the rocks is a tuff buisness. your gear is fine. i use 8lb pline mostly but if it was easy for you to get off the rocks and onto the sand you probly should have done it as soon as you hooked into a good fish. try to fight them away from the rocks because theres more rocks around the jetty then the ones ur standing on.

calico killer kevin
01-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Nah, you were fine. Sometimes you can't help, but lose some fish. Without being there to witness the battle, what I can assume from your story is that the fish rubbed your line up against some rocks and when she took that last run, snapped the line. That's all.

That said, if you know you're in an area with lots of jagged rocks, keep your drag a bit tighter than you normally would and keep her clear of it. When you're going in to land her, find a nice flat rock which you can stand on without slipping or being swept off your feet and guide her to it. Best case scenario is that you have a lipper and you bring her up. If not, than lip her and hold on tight because she's not gonna come in easy. If it's a hali or shark, grab the base of the tail and hold on for dear life. Outside of that, you can't control what the fish does.

Don't give up cause you'll get her next time. See you out there Jason.

klocked
01-03-2010, 04:09 PM
All I see in this story is success!!! The fish was successful in getting away and you were successful at 1. Picking a spot with fish around, 2. Finding the fish, 3. Hooking up with said fish, 4. Numerous other things.... It just so happened that a rock got in the way:LOL: This probably wont be the last time it happens.... ask me how I know:LOL:

Good job out there anyway Jason, you'll get her next time!!

Troutman65
01-03-2010, 05:44 PM
I would not be so hard on yourself. Its fishing and thats going to happen from time to time . Thanks for posting up :Cool:

old pudd fisher
01-03-2010, 06:25 PM
You hooked up and did your best and you showed some fishing skill. Last summer I was at the pudd fishing off the pier and hooked up with my personal best bass had a great time with the fight but she won the battle jumped and threw the hook but l got to see her size and I went home happy. Theirs always next time, good luck.

Wingnut
01-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Jason, don't worry about it, sometimes the fish wins... that's fishing!
At least you got bit and experienced the thrill of the fight or a moment.

I hit the surf today with the S.W.A.T. Crew and didn't even get a single bite. :Neutral: :Evil: :mad: We call it paying our dues... I hope this will motivate you to get back out there and land the next one! Take care and looking forward to your next report. :Cool:

BTW - I would go to #10 or #12 line when throwing the hardbait, but that's just my preference.

spooks
01-03-2010, 07:01 PM
that's what makes it beautiful, that it could go either way win or lose.
don't be so hard on yourself man, the possibility of losig fish is always there.
sometimes we win others we lose, is how fishing goes.
that's what I love about it.

lngbchfnhnter
01-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Sorry to hear about that jaysuun.. After your last NPH run with Tess, Im sure you forgot about it already:Big Grin:

I use 40 braid and 20 flour top shot on my curado 300. Might be overkill for some,but its pefect for me.
See you on the water.

flyngby
01-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Now I usually don't post skunk reports, but I'm so frustrated right now I wanted to get everyones opinions and suggestions.

So I didn't plan to do any fishing today because I was on-call with work, but I had an itch to go. Figured I would hit up the jetty for a few hours since it's nearby. Didn't expect much today just wanted wet the new surf gear and enjoy the nice weather.

Jaysuuun,

I will roll roll it backwards for you.

1. Enjoyed the nice weather. Check!:Thumbs Up:
2. Just wanted to wet the new surf gear. Check!:Thumbs Up:
3. Didn't expect much today. Check!:Thumbs Up:
4. Hit up the jetty for a few hours. Check!:Thumbs Up:
5. You had an itch to go Surf Fishing. Check!:Thumbs Up:
6. On-Call for work. That Sucks!!!:Angry:
7. I did not plan on fishing today. That Sucks!:Angry:
7. You had a great Battle and lost a lure. That Really Sucks!!!!:Angry:

You were on the spot and unfortunately the fish used the structure to its advantage!!!! I know this is not a new concept to you as you have fished some very tight structure when I was present and won the battle!:Wink:

Unfortunately you were outsmarted this time! :Evil:

Take the Intel learned as I know it has replayed through you brain several times since then and use it to win the battle next time!!

I was skunked in the surf today with 4 very talented guys and not 1 of us ever got a hit in our 11 hour session!!

Hold your head high and she will come to the shore next time!

Steve

murrieta angler
01-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Hey Bro, at least you got that adrenaline going 100mph. There is always next time...:Smile:
Good Luck on your next outing for the hali's.

Jaysuuun
01-05-2010, 12:42 AM
fishing for halis on the rocks is a tuff buisness. your gear is fine. i use 8lb pline mostly but if it was easy for you to get off the rocks and onto the sand you probly should have done it as soon as you hooked into a good fish. try to fight them away from the rocks because theres more rocks around the jetty then the ones ur standing on.

Yeah it's not easy to follow a fish on the rocks when it starts to run. Fortunately this fish didn't run side to side, but instead shot straight out. I did notice the rocks sitting underwater and that's about where I got the hit. It didn't seem to be a problem until my line broke. I'll try to be more aware of my fishing surroundings.

Nah, you were fine. Sometimes you can't help, but lose some fish. Without being there to witness the battle, what I can assume from your story is that the fish rubbed your line up against some rocks and when she took that last run, snapped the line. That's all.

That said, if you know you're in an area with lots of jagged rocks, keep your drag a bit tighter than you normally would and keep her clear of it. When you're going in to land her, find a nice flat rock which you can stand on without slipping or being swept off your feet and guide her to it. Best case scenario is that you have a lipper and you bring her up. If not, than lip her and hold on tight because she's not gonna come in easy. If it's a hali or shark, grab the base of the tail and hold on for dear life. Outside of that, you can't control what the fish does.

Don't give up cause you'll get her next time. See you out there Jason.

Kev, now that I've had a chance to calm down about it, I know there are things we can't control when landing a fish. It's frustrating cuz I felt like I was doing everything right and when that fish broke off, I began to question myself. I've definitely learned something from this experience.

All I see in this story is success!!! The fish was successful in getting away and you were successful at 1. Picking a spot with fish around, 2. Finding the fish, 3. Hooking up with said fish, 4. Numerous other things.... It just so happened that a rock got in the way:LOL: This probably wont be the last time it happens.... ask me how I know:LOL:

Good job out there anyway Jason, you'll get her next time!!

LOL I didn't feel too successful when I saw my line waving around in the wind. :LOL: j/k I know what you mean, crap happens. I was the only person who hooked up that morning and it was fun until the line busted. Damn those rocks! Who the hell placed them there? LOL I'll be back out there again soon.

I would not be so hard on yourself. Its fishing and thats going to happen from time to time . Thanks for posting up :Cool:

I'm over it by now, but at that moment I felt like I blew my chance. :Angry: I know it'll happen again, I just hope it doesn't happen too often. :Neutral:

You hooked up and did your best and you showed some fishing skill. Last summer I was at the pudd fishing off the pier and hooked up with my personal best bass had a great time with the fight but she won the battle jumped and threw the hook but l got to see her size and I went home happy. Theirs always next time, good luck.

That's too bad about the bass. I have a freind that had that same experience over at lake perris. I did not get to see the fish I hooked up with, but I did see the water swirl at one time as I was fighting it.

Jason, don't worry about it, sometimes the fish wins... that's fishing!
At least you got bit and experienced the thrill of the fight or a moment.

I hit the surf today with the S.W.A.T. Crew and didn't even get a single bite. :Neutral: :Evil: :mad: We call it paying our dues... I hope this will motivate you to get back out there and land the next one! Take care and looking forward to your next report. :Cool:

BTW - I would go to #10 or #12 line when throwing the hardbait, but that's just my preference.

Wingnut sorry to hear about the fishless surf session. This experience has definitely motivated me to get back out there and has got the gears turning in my head. I was tossing the hardbait on #10 XXX Izorline. I'll try bumping it up to 12 or maybe even try some braid.

that's what makes it beautiful, that it could go either way win or lose.
don't be so hard on yourself man, the possibility of losig fish is always there.
sometimes we win others we lose, is how fishing goes.
that's what I love about it.

Well, the winning part of this sport is always beautiful but the losing always sucks. :LOL: j/k I know it's all a part of the sport and it's what keeps us coming back for more.:Twisted:

Sorry to hear about that jaysuun.. After your last NPH run with Tess, Im sure you forgot about it already:Big Grin:

I use 40 braid and 20 flour top shot on my curado 300. Might be overkill for some,but its pefect for me.
See you on the water.

LOL our last minute NPH produced the some nice spotties and numbed the pain a little, but I'm still bitter. :LOL: 40 braid, now that's what I'm talkin bout! :Twisted: Btw does the 20lb fluoro affect the action of the hardbait much?

Jaysuuun,

I will roll roll it backwards for you.

1. Enjoyed the nice weather. Check!:Thumbs Up:
2. Just wanted to wet the new surf gear. Check!:Thumbs Up:
3. Didn't expect much today. Check!:Thumbs Up:
4. Hit up the jetty for a few hours. Check!:Thumbs Up:
5. You had an itch to go Surf Fishing. Check!:Thumbs Up:
6. On-Call for work. That Sucks!!!:Angry:
7. I did not plan on fishing today. That Sucks!:Angry:
7. You had a great Battle and lost a lure. That Really Sucks!!!!:Angry:

You were on the spot and unfortunately the fish used the structure to its advantage!!!! I know this is not a new concept to you as you have fished some very tight structure when I was present and won the battle!:Wink:

Unfortunately you were outsmarted this time! :Evil:

Take the Intel learned as I know it has replayed through you brain several times since then and use it to win the battle next time!!

I was skunked in the surf today with 4 very talented guys and not 1 of us ever got a hit in our 11 hour session!!

Hold your head high and she will come to the shore next time!

Steve

Hey Steve, sorry to hear about the surf skunk. The situation kept replaying in my mind and I actually applied the intel to last nights NPH session. That last toad spotty shot straight for the docks near some pilings. I flashed back to that morning session for a moment. I had to think fast so I buttoned down the drag and hauled him out of that cover. I was rewarded with a toad spottie. :Big Grin:

Hey Bro, at least you got that adrenaline going 100mph. There is always next time...:Smile:
Good Luck on your next outing for the hali's.

Thanks. There will definitely be a next time. Hopefully sometime soon.

jerryG
01-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Just as Steve has mentioned I’m sure you must have replayed the fight countless times thinking about what you could have, should have, and will do differently next time. This helps to make us better Anglers by teaching what to do and what not to do next time. Sometimes you can do everything right but it’s still not enough. That's what keeps us comming back for more.

I know it doesn’t seem like it but really you have made a great accomplishment for your first hard bait outing. I rather hook a big fish and loose it than not get bit at all. Most Anglers will make countless casts and often several trips before hooking their first fish on the hard bait and it often takes several trips before they stick their first big fish. You hooked a big fish on your first cast with the hard bait. You are way ahead of the game my friend and I’m sure this has helped you gain more confidence in throwing hard baits. Many Anglers expect immediate results from these lures and when it doesn’t happen right away they just give up on hard baits all together (BIG MISTAKE).

As far as line goes I like 12lb monofilament for throwing hard baits. It's a matter of preference. I have tried braid for hardbaits but I didn't care for it . I lost a couple big fish and I was done with it but you may find you like it. Really it comes down to preference.

All things considered you dide very well. I had the privlidge of fishing the surf with the guys yesterday and it was a tough one to say the least... Regardless of the fishing it was a great day sharing some good times on the water with good people..Plus Bones made a new friend.

JerryG

DockRat
01-05-2010, 06:03 AM
I hit the surf today with the S.W.A.T. Crew and didn't even get a single bite. :Neutral: :Evil: :mad: We call it paying our dues... .

You got skunked ? :ROFL:

I guess you are human.
DR

fishshep
01-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Don't do much jetty fishing myself, 95% surf.
Yet !!! have fished jetties many times, and lately
LBC Jetties for Halibutt. So, just to say by experiential
witness, I have seen at least four 25-30in Halibuts,and
many big Bass lost on the Jetty by others not "Hoggin-In '
the fish !!!!
Not much fun not being able to work the runs of a fish but at least you get-em in :Wink:

Jaysuuun
01-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Just as Steve has mentioned I’m sure you must have replayed the fight countless times thinking about what you could have, should have, and will do differently next time. This helps to make us better Anglers by teaching what to do and what not to do next time. Sometimes you can do everything right but it’s still not enough. That's what keeps us comming back for more.

I know it doesn’t seem like it but really you have made a great accomplishment for your first hard bait outing. I rather hook a big fish and loose it than not get bit at all. Most Anglers will make countless casts and often several trips before hooking their first fish on the hard bait and it often takes several trips before they stick their first big fish. You hooked a big fish on your first cast with the hard bait. You are way ahead of the game my friend and I’m sure this has helped you gain more confidence in throwing hard baits. Many Anglers expect immediate results from these lures and when it doesn’t happen right away they just give up on hard baits all together (BIG MISTAKE).

As far as line goes I like 12lb monofilament for throwing hard baits. It's a matter of preference. I have tried braid for hardbaits but I didn't care for it . I lost a couple big fish and I was done with it but you may find you like it. Really it comes down to preference.

All things considered you dide very well. I had the privlidge of fishing the surf with the guys yesterday and it was a tough one to say the least... Regardless of the fishing it was a great day sharing some good times on the water with good people..Plus Bones made a new friend.

JerryG

JerryG, thanks for the kind and motivational words. I never thought about it that way. I mean hooking up on my first cast with the hardbait. And you are right about the confidence factor. I'm definitely going to continue tossing the hardbait now until I hookup again. I have mentally regrouped and hope to get back out there soon.

Don't do much jetty fishing myself, 95% surf.
Yet !!! have fished jetties many times, and lately
LBC Jetties for Halibutt. So, just to say by experiential
witness, I have seen at least four 25-30in Halibuts,and
many big Bass lost on the Jetty by others not "Hoggin-In '
the fish !!!!
Not much fun not being able to work the runs of a fish but at least you get-em in :Wink:

fishshep, thanks for the tip. With heavier line I'll be able to button down the drag and avoid long runs against sharp rocks. I also have a lighter action rod so that should absorb a lot of shock.