PDA

View Full Version : Hooping Noobs

Mojave River Angler
01-03-2010, 11:20 AM
My brother and I want to give hooping a try and were wondering if someone could recommend a landing to hit for a first try. I see Channel Island Sportfishing has a Fri-Sat run. Are there others? Any reason to choose going north over south? When is the season peak?

Any ideas or suggestions would help. We just want to get out and have a first run at it to see if this is something we might like to do on a regular basis.

Mojave River Angler

lucky catch
01-03-2010, 02:31 PM
Never been out on a commercial bug hunt I would imagine you have them at all harbors. If there is a boat from king harbor/Redondo beach that would probably be best because they could stay in they part of Santa Monica Bay where the commercial lobster fisherman are not allowed.
The best month is October then probably the first two weeks of March before the season ends. During the colder months the bugs go out to deeper water and are harder to find.
Good luck and let us know how the party boats do at catching bugs.

DockRat
01-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Some dude in Western Outdoor News has a six pack lobster charter for $1100.
Big ad in the back.
DR

HESBROS
01-04-2010, 06:11 AM
Here is a charter out of HH.
http://liquidcoasthighway.com/

Redkorn
01-04-2010, 08:58 AM
My brother and I want to give hooping a try and were wondering if someone could recommend a landing to hit for a first try. I see Channel Island Sportfishing has a Fri-Sat run. Are there others? Any reason to choose going north over south? When is the season peak?

Any ideas or suggestions would help. We just want to get out and have a first run at it to see if this is something we might like to do on a regular basis.

Mojave River Angler

Well I take it your talking about the cobra...its like 60 bucks...only ten ppl on it....fishes from 5pm-12am....and they got the nets,baits,gages, and all you gotta do is set up and pull up....you should jump on that trip to see if your really into it at all.....its cheap and you dont gotta run the boat. Thats how I got into hoop netting. And it can be alot of money at first. but it gets cheaper

Mojave River Angler
01-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Ya, I think we are going to hit the Fri or Sat ride out and give it a try from the Channel Island Sportfishing. I talked to them on the phone and it is just the kind of gig we need to see if this is something that will be of greater interest to us in the future. 50 bucks is not a bad price to pay to try someting new and maybe even come home with something intersting for the table. They also invited us to bring along our poles to do a little fishing while the pots soak. Sounds cool to me.

MRA