PDA

View Full Version : Operation: First Hali 12/31/09

NooB SaBass
01-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Happy New years All! This of course be PVT. Noob SaBass reporting in with yet another fishing update! This time I did my first Joint Recon! Murrieta Angler and I hit N San D's Beach's in search of new spots and Hali's ^^

SURF GEAR:
-8' Bass Proshop XPS Baitcaster/Shimano Sedona 4000FD
-7'.5'' Shakespeare Microspin Carbon rod/Micro F2 reel
-8lb "moss green" Pline CXX on both, the 7.5 w/Vanish! 6lb fluro leaders
-1 tray filled with 1/2 ounce sliders, a 1 ounce slider,SPRO swivels,8mm Glass beads,2 spoons, and 2 pre set up hooks 2 feet and 4 feet.
Perching:
-Green and dark green redtailed grubs
-Blue and green Blackflaked grubs
-Clear Redflaked grubs
-MORF grubs
-Gulp! 2" Camo sandworms
-4.5' MORF colored worms w/spin tails (originally bass gear)
Hali Hunting:
-V.2 LC Sardine deep runner
-Jackel 110 Mudsucker shallow runner
-Backpack
-Fishing vest
-Waders!!!! (Thank you santa!)

PREY
-California Halibut: (14")

Soooooo the day started with me yet again getting off work to a phone call from Murrieta Angler(Robert)..."I'm @ Clinton Keith how do I get there?" O crap so I haul buns back home grab all my gear asap and we head off to San D by 7:15am. We arrived at Torry pines around 7:45am and we hit the Surf, Conditions were ummm lets see not that favorable lol. "Wanna work left to right or right to left sweep? -Robert.... "ummmmm right to left"... First cast of the day I hear... "crap!"(R)..."?".... hahahaha thats poop his reel exploded and line was fluffed up everywhere.... so after 10 min he finally got to join the battle... After about an hour and 15 min of Torry pines kicking are heads in we decided to trail on... we worked our way south to Scripps... we arrive and OMG perfect conditions! we look at eachother run down like kids at a candy store. Right as we get ready to fire off...."HEY YOU CANT FISH HERE!!!!, excuse me you cant fish here, ummm do you know you cant fish here.... dude you cant fish here..."?! wtf where does it say that?!" they bombarded us we were at Scripps underwater Museum! hahaha :ROFL: the people there are a little touchy about fishing there and Bombarded Rob faster than her could respond... One lady got kinda in his face right after another gentlemen explained WHY were couldnt fish here... im like hey she can be used as bait! Sharking any-1? lol.... so we pack up before we get stonned and headed past torry pines back north...Arrives around 10am to a new spot and set in the Reconing... It was still high tide ish and we found a sweet little spot after about 40 min... Rob sets in little north bout 15-18 feet and we work the area in the same tactic...on his 3rd cast out in the new spot "woa!"(R)... "whats the woa for?!"... Hali got alllll the way to em following it and flashed at it right as he reeled in... THERE HERE! we both said faces lighting up and we set in to hunt... 5 more cast and I hear..."FISH ON!" (R)..."?!!!" holy crap u got 1!... and its a Hali! got right up to em and POP!......Nooooo thats #2 that got way and this 1 was the bigger model... we continue to work and @ 11:05 My LC stuck?.. wtf pulled... it pulled... I pulled again it ran! whooooo!!!!!!! "FISH ON!" my first Hali! im not a Surf Vigin anymore :ROFL: 14" not epic not huge, but mine ^^ and she was o so pretty... Pics got my stupid arm shadow in it hahaha thx Rob! :High Five:

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=411&pictureid=3225

After that the tide progressivly got lower and lower so we Ventured on a bit North, hey at least we found a new spot ^^. We arrived in the Bad and decided to hit the Lagoon... Robert had somthing chasing his Char LC into shore on a few cast but didnt commit... The Lagoon is a breeding ground for WSB! so it was probably a Juvi being curious. Nothing happened there after an hour so we headed back down south to scout and founds some good pockets for a high tide assault next time. We fished the super super low tide shelves but nothing was biting... we called it around 4 after getting my first Hali and Rob losing 2. All in all a good day for me and a Skunky day for MA hahaha sorry bro hope u slayed em today...:Guns:

Fire Ball
01-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Congrats on your first hali! So they said you couldn't fish at one spot yet there were no signs about it? Haha, you should have fished there or ninjaed it or something, lol.

bsp
01-01-2010, 05:33 PM
You got your first halibut, congrats! Glad to see that you stuck one. Remember to figure out why you got that fish where you did, and you should be able to imitate that pattern on other beaches. Now go out and get your first legal!

That's funny about Scripps. SD county has some really nice areas. Never fished all the way down there myself, but I'll make the trek one of these days. There are very few closed areas along the coast, but get used to a lot more closures because of the MLPAs.

Good job out there, and you'll definitely catch many more halibut in 2010!

JOE G
01-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Sweet!!! great job on the flattie.

Wingnut
01-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Congrats on your first Hali! :Big Grin: Next mission... a legal! :Twisted:
Well done, you got your first ever Flattie faster than I got my first. :Envious:

DockRat
01-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Nice job on the Butt. Super high and low tide today, I was checking from above at the sandbars and saw a couple deep trenches at Rat/Torrance.

we get stonned

What were you guys doing ? :Skunk: ?
:ROFL: DR

murrieta angler
01-01-2010, 09:09 PM
NICO!!!!
Again, great job getting your first hali. Now that you got "the itch", we're gonna have to head out more and "scratch it"...:LOL:
Hope you got some sleep when you got home, cause you were talking, then the next second you were "OUT"!!
I'll be pretty busy the next week, but the following week should be good to head out.
New Moon on the 15th, I think Grunion Run is in order for some fat hali's...:Big Grin:
Take It Easy, Robert

flyngby
01-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Congrats on the first Flattie!!!!!!

May many more come to you in this year!

Great job PVT Noob!!!!

lngbchfnhnter
01-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Nice job noob!!! Congrats on the hali.. Keep up the great reports!:Big Grin:

NooB SaBass
01-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Congrats on your first Hali! :Big Grin: Next mission... a legal! :Twisted:
Well done, you got your first ever Flattie faster than I got my first. :Envious:

Whoooooooo lol thas like the best accomplishment ever lol...

NooB SaBass
01-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Thanks every-1 I'm gonna try for a legal allll year, good luck every-1 in 2010!