PDA

View Full Version : Surf rod - Freshwater lake? Pontoon float tube fishing?

sawoobley
01-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Has anyone successfully tried surf casting on a freshwater lake? I am looking for the best way to fish without a boat on freshwater lakes. My ideal surf casting set up would be a (see bass pro shops website for additional info)

- Offshore Angler™ Ocean Master® Surf Rods - Casting
- Penn® GS Performance Reel (Penn 525 Mag)

Obviously this is an expensive set-up and I would probably look for something cheaper unless I knew it was worth the investment. This set up is best for 15 pound line and 2 ounce weight. Is there a similar set-up I could use to fish a greater area of the lake from the shore?

Alternatively, I was thinking I could purchase waders and a float tube. I would prefer a small pontoon float but do not think I could transport it in my Honda Civic. (Unless I could get the "Togiak Pontoon Float Tube - Teal" from Sam's Club to fit in my car.) In this case I was thinking to use the following:

- Caddis Navigator II Float Tube
- RedHead Finley River Stocking - Foot Chest Waders for Men with swim fins or a wetsuit with swim fins

Any suggestions on which set-up would be better? If I used the surf casting set-up then I could also use it at the beach. Either way I will probably get some waders to do some stream fishing. :Cool:

Fire Ball
01-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Get a float tube!! It is definitely worth it. I got one and I can't go back to shore fishing, haha. The surf casting rod is probably going to be way too heavy for bass or anything. The surf casting rod will not help you, just hinder you.

sawoobley
01-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll most likely get the float tube. I have seen from your posts lately that it has worked out well for you. By the way, congrats on the stripers.