PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct - Any places near Silverwood?

sawoobley
12-31-2009, 05:16 PM
I am looking for a place to fish the aqueduct. It seems that most people in this forum fish it up near Palmdale but that is too far away. I would have to go through Los Angeles traffic to get there. I am near the 60 and the 57 freeway. Are there any places up off of the 15 freeway near Silverwood? I am talking about catch and release so they do not have to be good enough to eat :Cool:.

M@M
12-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Take 15 north . Take Hesperia off ramp.Take left at Stoplight (Main ST). Go over Fwy to west side. Take a right (North) Go 1 block and take another right. That will get you on the road that runs along the freeway (Amargosa Rd.) Go North approx 1/2 mile. You will see the duct on the left. You can park right there and walk in. You can also take a right after getting off the freeway (on Main St) and head east into Hesperia .Go approx. 2 miles. It crosses over the duct. Just park and walk in. The 15 crosses over the duct so does hwy 395. Which is also right near there (approx 2miles)Let me know. I fish that area. Good Luck. Where will you be driving from?

Nessie Hunter
01-01-2010, 07:55 AM
I cant seem to get TinyURL to come up and the link is pretty darn long..
Google " California Aqueduct maps " and follow it to anywhere you want.

Ill try and post this link, but its HUGE!!!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=california+aqueduct+map&revid=1918006051&resnum=0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=California+Aqueduct,+Barstow-Victorville,+CA&gl=us&ei=Yxk-S_asFYe6swOkr_DGBA&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAsQ8gEwAA

You can fish at most locations there are walk in gates....

It ends near Lake Silverwood, and has access off Summit Valley Road near Hesperia....

With 2 posts in over a year, and this being in REPORTS FORUM. I think you may need to spend more time on the site???? :LOL:
You get out, what you put in here!!

sawoobley
01-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Thank you for the responses. The reason I asked the question is because Google maps shows the aqueduct near Palmdale as a thick blue line but as it approaches Silverwood it looks more like a road and it becomes a bit more difficult to follow. One thing I did not think about was the ability to view an actual photo of the area through Google maps.

Last year I did not do much fishing but this will be the year. I just got my license in the mail. I have spent the last week researching fishing spots and techniques for shorefishing along the lake and beach. I plan to hit the duct a several times but will probably spend more time at Puddingstone since it is closest to my house.

I have not been posting much but that will change. I have been reading most of the posts and will make it a daily habit. I look forward to reading your reports and hope to have a few of my own to post.

If someone else wants to google the location described in the other posts they only need to insert the following address. From there you can follow the duct to find entry points into it.

9954 Amargosa Rd, Hesperia, CA

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr98/ericsauble/Map1.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr98/ericsauble/Map2.jpg

The two images above is what you will find in a search using Google maps.

sawoobley
01-01-2010, 02:47 PM
It appears that the aqueduct disappears several miles south of the Hesperia airport at which time it enters Lake Silverwood. Some people in this forum (in the past) have worried about safety in this area from local gangs and wildlife. I wonder if a very safe place from local gangs, at least, might be the southern most part of the aqueduct where it is crossed by Los Flores Rd/Goat Trail Rd (34.350282,-117.311208). From there it can be followed south for 1.3 miles along Los Flores Rd (apparently) to the end (34.335656,-117.303475) / (+34° 20' 8.36", -117° 18' 12.51").

I was hoping I could find additional places to fish closer to my house (~57/60) but the duct goes underground through the pipeline to Lake Perris. Where it ends.

I do not suppose there are any other aqueducts in Orange County that could be fished? There is the Colorado River aqueduct but I here there are no fish in there. Well, if I time it right I can get to Hesperia in just over an hour.

RamboBoy
01-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Thank you for the responses. The reason I asked the question is because Google maps shows the aqueduct near Palmdale as a thick blue line but as it approaches Silverwood it looks more like a road and it becomes a bit more difficult to follow. One thing I did not think about was the ability to view an actual photo of the area through Google maps.

Last year I did not do much fishing but this will be the year. I just got my license in the mail. I have spent the last week researching fishing spots and techniques for shorefishing along the lake and beach. I plan to hit the duct a several times but will probably spend more time at Puddingstone since it is closest to my house.

I have not been posting much but that will change. I have been reading most of the posts and will make it a daily habit. I look forward to reading your reports and hope to have a few of my own to post.

If someone else wants to google the location described in the other posts they only need to insert the following address. From there you can follow the duct to find entry points into it.

9954 Amargosa Rd, Hesperia, CA

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr98/ericsauble/Map1.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr98/ericsauble/Map2.jpg

The two images above is what you will find in a search using Google maps.

That spot looks good possible striper and catfish there. Did anyone went to this place and try it out with KPN lure or LTrap Lure (walmart)

RamboBoy
01-01-2010, 04:26 PM
It appears that the aqueduct disappears several miles south of the Hesperia airport at which time it enters Lake Silverwood. Some people in this forum (in the past) have worried about safety in this area from local gangs and wildlife. I wonder if a very safe place from local gangs, at least, might be the southern most part of the aqueduct where it is crossed by Los Flores Rd/Goat Trail Rd (34.350282,-117.311208). From there it can be followed south for 1.3 miles along Los Flores Rd (apparently) to the end (34.335656,-117.303475) / (+34° 20' 8.36", -117° 18' 12.51").

I was hoping I could find additional places to fish closer to my house (~57/60) but the duct goes underground through the pipeline to Lake Perris. Where it ends.

I do not suppose there are any other aqueducts in Orange County that could be fished? There is the Colorado River aqueduct but I here there are no fish in there. Well, if I time it right I can get to Hesperia in just over an hour.

Simple if you see local gang call 911 or RUN and drive away, lol

Nessie Hunter
01-01-2010, 05:24 PM
That last section before Silverwood is Fine & Safe...
I used to got here all the time and walk the full length alone...
Even a few night trips alone..
But its to scary for me. :Embarrassed: :Embarrassed:

We dont have no stinking gangs up here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are no Fishing/no trespassing signs at Los Flores Rd to the end...

Take 138 off I-15 like your going to Silverwood. Then turn Left at the Country Store/Gas station..
That is Summit Valley Rd goes all the way up into Hesperia past the Duct....
If you hit houses, you went about 1 Mi to far.... Duct goes under road & RR tracks so hard to see....
Look for section of short chain link fence at the access road (paved).

M@M
01-01-2010, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=RamboBoy;418942]That spot looks good possible striper and catfish there. Did anyone went to this place and try it out with KPN lure or LTrap Lure (walmart)[/QU

I've fished this spot with Rat L Traps among other things about 1/2 dozen times so far just this last week. Please some one come catch a striper here! I'll keep trying. Easy to get to. There's even a Port-a- potty. Come on, get fishing and let me know what you catch.
JUST PLEASE! DON"T LEAVE YOUR TRASH!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=Nessie Hunter;418959]That last section before Silverwood is Fine & Safe...
I used to got here all the time and walk the full length alone...
Even a few night trips alone..
But its to scary for me. :Embarrassed: :Embarrassed:

I've fished this place alone at night only twice now. Didn't like it, start wondering what could come out of the bushes. Too dark. Will fish it at dawn though. I have a hard time seeing my line (tangles,weeds, etc.) at night.
Only gangs I'd be worried about in this area is a gang of wild animals.ha ha

Nessie Hunter
01-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Only gangs I'd be worried about in this area is a gang of wild animals.ha ha

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!
I hear all kinds of strange sounds at night. My imagination runs rampant ------> Im outta here!!! See ya!!! :ROFL: :Embarrassed:

Keep in mind we have Cougars, Bobcats, few small Bear, Coyote's, Rattle snakes (the Mojave Green is on the aggressive side also)..

Not so bad with friends, but alone its????
Well, not so user friendly.. :ROFL:

abbfanuc
01-02-2010, 11:06 AM
I have fished the area of the hesperia side aqueduct a little bit but have only caught one cat so far using shrimps. it is the last section before it goes into underground near the train tracks.

I think that a bunch of us should hit up the duct searching for those elusive stripers. That way we would have a better chance of landing one. Today sounds like a good time if anyone is up to it

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
01-02-2010, 03:23 PM
I have fished the area of the hesperia side aqueduct a little bit but have only caught one cat so far using shrimps. it is the last section before it goes into underground near the train tracks.

I think that a bunch of us should hit up the duct searching for those elusive stripers. That way we would have a better chance of landing one. Today sounds like a good time if anyone is up to it

Chris hit me up on pm...I now a couple of uys that would make a run there..sleep*walk tthe duct..

yolo
01-02-2010, 03:28 PM
Man I am tempted to go out there too. There has to be stripers in there. I will be totally stoked as soon as a striper report comes out of there. Somebody get one already! Do you guys have any flow there recently? We have none in the AV. Well none that I would call flow.

M@M
01-02-2010, 04:00 PM
No flow here either in Hesperia/ victorville

abbfanuc
01-02-2010, 06:14 PM
just got back form the duct. Fished the area where the 15 goes over the duct. No water flow. one guy had a basic fish finder and it showed there were schools here and there. the fish finder didn't show size or type. not really sure what kind of fish were on the finder just knew that they were swimming around. had one pole bait and wait with liver and my other using several types of hard and soft swim baits. no luck on any.

M@M
01-02-2010, 09:55 PM
just got back form the duct. Fished the area where the 15 goes over the duct. No water flow. one guy had a basic fish finder and it showed there were schools here and there. the fish finder didn't show size or type. not really sure what kind of fish were on the finder just knew that they were swimming around. had one pole bait and wait with liver and my other using several types of hard and soft swim baits. no luck on any.

Cool! Thanks for the report. Had to get my new lic. today. I'll be trying that spot again soon. I would like to see some one catch a striper around here. I've only been there 1/2 dozen times. Nobody else ever there. Where did you drive from and what time were you fishing?

abbfanuc
01-02-2010, 10:11 PM
Cool! Thanks for the report. Had to get my new lic. today. I'll be trying that spot again soon. I would like to see some one catch a striper around here. I've only been there 1/2 dozen times. Nobody else ever there. Where did you drive from and what time were you fishing?

drove from Chino. got there around 2:30. fished till 4:30-5:00. Was the only one there for the first hour. another guy showed up and was using a fish finder.

Astrolux
01-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Keep in mind we have Cougars, Bobcats, few small Bear, Coyote's, Rattle snakes (the Mojave Green is on the aggressive side also)..

Don't worry guys there's really nothing to be scared of. Those animals are more weary of you than you think. Just get a head lamp light to put around your head, and if you're scared bring some pepper spray.

Rabbito
01-03-2010, 07:16 PM
I have fished the victorville duct 10 times for nada, drove to palmdale once and got a striper the 1st time.

SpadedRanger
01-04-2010, 01:39 AM
I dont think I have ever seen or heard of anyone catching a striper, all the way from phelan to the place where it dissapears up off summit valley road, I have thrown everything under the sun for stripers in that stretch of aqueduct and never even had a bite. So if someone hooks up a lineside, I will be amazed, It seems they dont like it in this area or something???

yolo
01-04-2010, 07:47 AM
I know they have been caught near Crystalaire and that section of duct is part of the run that goes from Pearblossom plant to Silverwood. If they are near Crystalaire, they are in Hesperia too because they got to Silverwood via that route. Just my opinion and educated guess.

seal
01-04-2010, 09:44 AM
They are there but for some reason tough to hook up. I think a visit from Yolo (somebody that actually knows how to catch um) might be all it would take. I have chased them all the way down to the lookout over the Ranch by Silverwood lake (this is where the Duct goes back underground) and have spotted bait balls, blow ups (must be striper), perch and have actually seen striper over by the Syphon by the airport. I've used traps and even topwater when I've noticed a boil for nothing, although have caught a 12 lbs cat in there. DFG occasionally shows up and once told me that they have seen a stiper pulled out as long as his leg. It's a nice stretch to walk, kind of pretty for the Duct.

But contrary to some of the responses there is, or has been, some shady characters there, and I have heard of multiple problems and actually had a little episode with some dudes trying to steal gas from vehicles. Also this is where a mountain lion was spotted hanging out a couple weeks ago, they love to use that Duct trail. Just a word of caution if your going in the evening, I like it early morning bad dudes are sleeping.

I will keep at it, but a visit from you Duct pro's might be what it takes to get the job done.

GREENSTINKYFEET
01-06-2010, 08:24 PM
I am no where as sucessful as yolo, but i did manage a 14lb. Striper out of the antelope duct this summer on my ninth trip there, 1.5 hour trip one way. Im aquainted with a few sucessful duct fishermen and they go out there alot. The duct is not a great fisherey, but you have an opportunity to or small chance to catch a good striper every visit. I personally believe that stripers are distributed along the whole duct system. Besides the kpn, i would recommend a fluke in white. Also, it is widely known that stripers hit cut bait, anchovies and sardines. Not a bad way to sit and enjoy the stars until the water flows. When the water flows throw the kpn!!! As far as security, ill take my chances at the duct and not the city. I am not afraid of the dark, mountain lions, or anyone else that wants some from a crazy duct fishermen. Be persistant, i know i will. Peace