PDA

View Full Version : Legg Lake Islands

sevenout
12-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Ever since I was a kid, I dreamed of fishing around the islands at the big lake. I don't think the boat rentals were in place back then and never saw anyone fishing there but on the shore. Just wondering, has anyone ever snuck their tubes out there and if so, how was (or is) the fishing?

My best days at Legg back then were sneaking into the old fenced off 'Forbidden Lake' next to the 60 Fwy. Man, what great Bluegill and Bass fishing we experienced, and with it, the threat of being caught by the park rangers!

Fishbones
01-01-2010, 01:07 PM
I grew up fishing those lakes as a kid (im 30) and had the pleasure of working part time on both north an south lakes docks. the north lake dock was on rosemead on the trout shoreline and it was a 35'wooden dock with paddle boats and the south lake dock was just below the hot dog stand and it was a 50'wooden dock with a pontoon boat anchored to it.
The reasons im giving you the dock locations and lenghts is because there is alot of structure in these areas...hint hint..and as for the lakes islands they are all loaded with large bass,catfish,bluegill,carp and even crappie but the only islands that can be fished "legally" are the north lake islands and they have to be fished with a rental paddle boat.
The guys there are pretty cool and you usally can bargain up a deal.
Fishing is hard there and gets alot of pressure and untill you get the bite pattern and color numbers might be low mabye even skunkoed...when you figure whats working you can usally have a 5-10 fish days............goodluck...fishbones

sho95
01-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Ever since I was a kid, I dreamed of fishing around the islands at the big lake. I don't think the boat rentals were in place back then and never saw anyone fishing there but on the shore. Just wondering, has anyone ever snuck their tubes out there and if so, how was (or is) the fishing?

My best days at Legg back then were sneaking into the old fenced off 'Forbidden Lake' next to the 60 Fwy. Man, what great Bluegill and Bass fishing we experienced, and with it, the threat of being caught by the park rangers!

I know what what your talking about. It actually off Durfee if I'm correct. Way back I had grate times and I did get caught once by the park rangers.

Jbass
01-19-2010, 08:59 PM
love that place. it is free and there are some big bass in that lake. it was a lot better when the weeds were thick. i used to go during the summer and the top water bite in the morning was awesome. well considering the place was free and it is a pond. hopefully this year it will be better with all the rain coming.

jbassc
01-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Legg has been just decimated by poachers the past three years with people using gills for bait and others snagging all the spawners off the beds the place has taken a downfall,But none the less i think and hope there still some quality bass in there, i think with the help of our local dfg warden don hopefully the poachers will think twice before trying to poach at legg.Actually the rental boats they have there now are fairly new the old people that rented there before got kicked out by the city the new people wanted to actually rent aluminum fishing boats but the city did'nt allow it the reasons are unknown but i think it has to do with disturbing the bird population that live on those islands.

t3rry
04-12-2012, 07:41 AM
I know this is a late reply but, I got to fish the islands once as a kid. I helped the guy operating the boats there clean off some of the bird poop and he let me take one of the boats out. A lot of catfish there. Fly line a chunk of mackeral and instant hook up. This was 13 years ago so I'm sure the poachers got to them.

etucker1959
04-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I know this is a late reply but, I got to fish the islands once as a kid. I helped the guy operating the boats there clean off some of the bird poop and he let me take one of the boats out. A lot of catfish there. Fly line a chunk of mackeral and instant hook up. This was 13 years ago so I'm sure the poachers got to them.
Man I feel old, Well I'm not that old 52 to be exact. There was a time in the early 70's you could rent aluminum fishing boat in the big lake. We use to catch all the big catfish and bass you wanted, right out in the middle of the lake. Brings back memories. lol

flyhigh123
04-12-2012, 03:18 PM
about 20 years ago, there were boats in the mid lake i believe. My brother and I rented one, and fished the middle islands with nightcrawlers. It was easy and lots of bass action.

Went there last week and the water levels are super low and the water seems really dirty now... It's not how it was before.

Good part is that the parking lot is now free whereas I remember it used to be a pay for parking?

t3rry
04-12-2012, 03:23 PM
I caught my biggest bass at Legg Lake. I feel dumb saying that because I don't even know how much it weighed, I figure easily 8+. I remember this much though, I was using 8lb test and it took about 5 or so minutes to bring in. It was at the lake closest to the freeway.

LGHT
04-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Man I feel old, Well I'm not that old 52 to be exact. There was a time in the early 70's you could rent aluminum fishing boat in the big lake. We use to catch all the big catfish and bass you wanted, right out in the middle of the lake. Brings back memories. lol

I fished from the boats around that same time as a kid. It was actually a nice peaceful lake where you could catch a stringer of trout or a few big bass anytime time you wanted. Not too many guys fished the lake, but the last time I went was around 10 years ago and the place was a dump. Haven't been back since.

M6teenbam
04-19-2012, 12:58 AM
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/m6teen/9677cadb.jpg
This is my biggest one at legg. Actually my first bass of all time.

oldfishguy
04-19-2012, 12:03 PM
see what happens when people dont care i cant understand why someone woulde just rape a place when if they just took whgat they could actualy eat. it would always be a good place3 humans as a race can put a man on the moon but isnt smat enough to know if you take to much there wont be any more3 to take in the future just makes mke mad thanks for letting me vent

etucker1959
04-19-2012, 02:28 PM
see what happens when people dont care i cant understand why someone woulde just rape a place when if they just took whgat they could actualy eat. it would always be a good place3 humans as a race can put a man on the moon but isnt smat enough to know if you take to much there wont be any more3 to take in the future just makes mke mad thanks for letting me vent

Think about outsourcing of someones job for some quick profit now, what about the future of our country. Sorry just venting.

smokehound
04-19-2012, 03:02 PM
the HELL do you guys keep reviving old threads for? X(

Ifishtoolittle
04-19-2012, 03:42 PM
the HELL do you guys keep reviving old threads for? X(

It's because they aren't outside doing some actual fishing.

etucker1959
04-19-2012, 05:02 PM
It's because they aren't outside doing some actual fishing.

Allright, I'm going to go fishing on Sat and post a tread. I hope no one gives me a buch of crap about way to go about burning that lake.

M6teenbam
04-19-2012, 07:43 PM
What the **** are you talking about. I put the fish back. And you can't even tell where I am. If you wann say something, say it when you see me at the lake. You guys are wasting your opinion on poachers by posting it on some forum. express your self at the lake like I do when I see some jack *** walking towards the car carrying a little baby bass. There is tv shows all day that teach you how to catch the fish, but it don't always work when I go out there and try. Bass pro shops has seminars also, are you gonna tell them not do so. Eat a ******* dick if you dont like my post. Catch and release.

ShoreTrouter
04-20-2012, 12:14 PM
What the **** are you talking about. I put the fish back. And you can't even tell where I am. If you wann say something, say it when you see me at the lake. You guys are wasting your opinion on poachers by posting it on some forum. express your self at the lake like I do when I see some jack *** walking towards the car carrying a little baby bass. There is tv shows all day that teach you how to catch the fish, but it don't always work when I go out there and try. Bass pro shops has seminars also, are you gonna tell them not do so. Eat a ******* dick if you dont like my post. Catch and release.

I think OFG was responding to this thread in general and not to your post lol.
I have seen you post that pic several times already:) but its all good be happy. Its a nice one!
BTW from that pic its pretty obvious to me where you are standing.
-Andy

M6teenbam
04-20-2012, 04:19 PM
I think OFG was responding to this thread in general and not to your post lol.
I have seen you post that pic several times already:) but its all good be happy. Its a nice one!
BTW from that pic its pretty obvious to me where you are standing.
-Andy
well here it is again.. And I'm smiling just as much as I am in the pic. Happy and all
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/m6teen/e9397299.jpg

Koontaj
04-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Email gangster are at it again...calmatho mijo and enjoy or you will get fish hooked....LOL...you guys are funny