PDA

View Full Version : Fished the Surf for my First time

amskater
07-08-2007, 10:36 AM
yesterday I went to the beach with my gf and gave surf fishing a try We got to some beach in Newport around 5:20pm I just bought some camo sandworms to try im pretty sure it was high tide cause the waves were getting big I would feel some bites but couldnt hook any of them a little while after that I caught my first BSP in the surf it was a dink but to catch something I was stoked I will be hitting the surf more often. after that I went and picked up some squid and went to the HB pier for a few hours and we didnt get any bites or anything and I didnt see anyone around us catch anything

Granny Fish
07-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Congrats on your first BSP. Surf fishing is contagious. Wait till you catch something bigger, then you will really be stoked.

servant joe
07-08-2007, 02:30 PM
:D
Take your time out there my friend. I went to San Clemente to fish. It was fun to surf fishing.
take care,
servant joe :o

paintnfish
07-08-2007, 02:56 PM
That's a good start and nice job on the perch :thumb:
There is a lot of different fish in the surf and most of them
love the sand crabs, look for the v's in the sand and start
digging, look for dime size sand crabs with the orange egg's.
my favorite time to fish the surf is morning or evening, two
or three hour's before high tide to high tide. good luck

one_leg
07-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Nice to hear that you punked the salty skunk!

Congrats to you, amskater!!!

One_Leg

bones
07-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Ahhhh...Yes.....
The good old BSP has taken your surf virginity and gave you a tease of what lies ahead. Maybe next time you will get into a WFO bite on the little guys. Just a tip......Perch will hold in different areas. You have to keep moving in order to find them and sometimes it's just a matter of a few yards to the left or to the right. Just a simple move can make a big difference as well as chainging up your bait. When using GSW's.....Always carry a pack of Camo and a pack of Bloody. Sometimes one color will outfish the other dramaticaly. A real good go to bait that can be pinned in the same place as the GSW's is Sandcrabs. Locate the sandcrab beds and the fish will be likely feeding in the same area. So keep on moving and try simple ...cheap switch-ups.
You will find your Pot of Gold very soon.

bsp
07-08-2007, 04:43 PM
The BSP are always there to save you from a skunking. Wait until you catch your first corbina. Then you will be addicted to the surf forever!

baloneysandwich
07-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Do you guys use a carolina rig with the sandworms or something else?

bones
07-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Do you guys use a carolina rig with the sandworms or something else?

Definately a carolina rig. It is the most versital rig for surf fishing.For corbina and surf perch which are usually in tight to shore I use a 1/8 to 1/4oz weight........6 to 8lb test.If the swells are big then you can up the weight to 3/8oz. I like to use 4lb fluoracarbon leader and a size 6 or 8 owner mosquito hook. I usually use a 2 or 3 ft leader. Some guys like to use longer leaders(especially for corbinas) but in a heavier surf you will get fouled up more often. Just use enough weight to stay in contact with the bottom in order to let your offerings kinda roll with the wave sets and keep your line as tight as possible to detect the bites as soon as they come to avoid gut hooking.Croakers can usually be found in a little deeper water so you might want to upsize your weight and make casts beyond the first breakers. Most of the fish in the surf key in on the surfline and the food that is stirred up by the waves breaking.95% of your hits will come when you get your offerings close to shore.