PDA

View Full Version : Bartender help!

sansou
12-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Volunteered to bartend at someone's party for New Year's, penguin suit and all! They have a fully stocked pro bar. I have the "NYC Bartender's Bible" and having been copying some really old school drink recipe's that I was told would be ordered (like flips & fizzes, and layered drinks).

My question is about egg whites for the flips/fizzes. Can I do this ahead of time?? Do store bought "egg whites only" work just as good, or do I have to crack the eggs every everytime I make a drink??? Are there particular eggs that are better for these drinks or what???

I can see with the lemon/orange zests, it's probably a good idea to do it on the spot, so I'm just going to have to deal with it as needed.

If anyone has experience, it would be nice to know rather than make the trek again to Bevmo and take the chance asking some kid there. I've been looking around on the web, but no concrete answer found.

Last, I got a few good suggestions for some fancy signature drinks, but it wouldn't hurt to hear of any others if you got any.

Thanks & Merry New Year!!

Sue
12-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Sorry Rich, I just drink 'em, not make 'em! :ROFL:

Troutman65
12-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Jack & Cokes are easy :LOL:

cappo
12-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Hows your Pisco sours

Frenchy
12-30-2009, 09:19 PM
You can do this ahead of time or you can buy store bought eg whites only.

the way to do it with a whole egg is to crack the egg as you mormally woild but before opening i all the way hold it like it was sitting in the carton and then lift the top oof and then pour the wole egg from the part of the sheel that has the egg in it into the empty half shell and back and forth and do this over the cup and the egg whites will fall out and the yolk will saty in the shell as you transfer it from one half egg shell to another its really simlpe

sansou
12-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Hows your Pisco sours

Dude! So funny you mention Pisco! I bought a bottle yesterday out of precaution that the bar didn't have any, and will be making this for sure!

bruce watson
12-31-2009, 07:03 AM
You've got a whole new generation out there that wasn't around back in the disco days of the '70s. They may like the sweet drinks of that time. Such as a Harvey Wallbanger or a Slow and Comfortable Screw Against the Wall. You're talking about four shots in each drink and they'll never know what hit them cause they taste so good.

jim532
12-31-2009, 08:35 AM
These are old school drinks, is this party at a retirement home?

cappo
12-31-2009, 08:50 AM
Rich you forgot the most important part, where is this party?

sansou
12-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Ha ha!!

Naw, the party isn't at a retirement home. It's at a friend's house who is an ER doc. They like to entertain a lot (hence the full bar they have built in their house) and have a fun group of partyers.

Bruce W, you are absolutely right. I'm finding by looking through recipes that a lot of these old school drinks pack a heavy dose of combinations of alcohol AND manage to camouflage it. Should produce some interesting results...

bruce watson
12-31-2009, 03:10 PM
Slow and Comfortable Screw against the Wall;

1oz slow gin
1oz southern comfort
1 oz vodka plus orange juice=screwdriver
1oz galliano (as in wallbanger)

Try it on someone