PDA

View Full Version : transporting gear without breaking it!!!

rollinblackout
12-30-2009, 12:59 PM
i lost a rod cuz of an ice chest sliding around the back of my truck.the strap came off and the ice chest slid and snapped my rod!!! now im afraid to buy high end one piece rods because of this!!! do you guys have any tips.

lngbchfnhnter
12-30-2009, 01:16 PM
PVC PIPE..:Big Grin:

Nessie Hunter
12-30-2009, 02:38 PM
If your just taking them to a spot, in the back of your truck. A piece of PVC would be just fine. You could just slide em in and go!!!

If your taking them on a multi day or Airplane (etc) trip a rod case is the only way to go... BAZUKA all the way!!!

rollinblackout
12-30-2009, 03:06 PM
thats a great idea thanks!!

Fire Ball
12-30-2009, 09:38 PM
You could try and put them in the cab of your truck or put your cooler in the cab. Easy and free. :LOL:

fish4keep
12-31-2009, 06:41 AM
Get better strap/s. Instead of just one, reinforce with another strap. I would rather buy a high end rod w/ good warranty than a low end rod with little to no warranty. If it ever break, atleast I know I could get it replace at a minimum price.....

fish
01-11-2010, 08:54 PM
I realize that my advice is much more expensive than PVC, but it can also be used if you were to take your rods on an airplane.

http://www.jdmtackle.com/product_view.php?product_id=68

This is a new store that just opened up in Diamond Bar. I think they are having 15% off until the 15th of January. As far as I know, the guy used to operate a website called anglersproshop.com based out of New York.

Rakie
01-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Well, when I was younger id bring 3 or 4 rods with me, Heavy Baitcasting / Medium Baitcasting / Medium Spinning / Light Spinning. Now when you have that many rods, and some of them are heavier straps are fine, you got a lot of backbone. But if I only took my medium light / light spinning rods Id use a strap and put the tips in a PVC pipe that was about 2' long, make sure it has a cap on it and has something to hold the pvc tube in place. Now, other people probably just get a 5-6' long tube, and call it a day. That works too, but I don't like leaving crap in my truck bed... people end up messing with it, at least in my experience.

I've been thinking about a way to put rod holders on the inside of my truck bed, problem is my bed is short, anything longer than 6'6" isn't gonna make it unless it sits over the edge, or kitty corner.

That Dang Guy
01-20-2010, 10:43 AM
I realize that my advice is much more expensive than PVC, but it can also be used if you were to take your rods on an airplane.

http://www.jdmtackle.com/product_view.php?product_id=68

This is a new store that just opened up in Diamond Bar. I think they are having 15% off until the 15th of January. As far as I know, the guy used to operate a website called anglersproshop.com based out of New York.

I officially hate you Fish. I've been oogling over anglers-proshop gear for quite awhile now, but since they were on the eat coast, i've avoided them. I'm guessing this is one of the original partners. Their split sounded alittle shady, but we'll see how it turns out.

Lipripper93561
01-20-2010, 02:59 PM
I saw one that looked interesting, it was one of those adjustable spreader bars that are used to keep cargo from sliding around and had rod mounts attached to that. Easy in and easy out, holds the rods and the icechest and easily removed to keep from getting stolen. The spreader bars you can get at almost any hardware store or harbor freight for under $20. Ubolt 10 inch stocks of pvc to the spreader bar in your optimal position, and you have a cheap pole holder.

fish
01-23-2010, 06:48 AM
I officially hate you Fish. I've been oogling over anglers-proshop gear for quite awhile now, but since they were on the eat coast, i've avoided them. I'm guessing this is one of the original partners. Their split sounded alittle shady, but we'll see how it turns out.

I actually already when into the store and bought some jig bags. The split isn't shady at all as far as I'm concerned. The owner moved out here from NY and opened up a shop.

The store is small and still had boxes to unpack, but it is the only place around here that you can buy those large minnows for tunas. I'm not sure if you have fished them, but Tackle House Blue Ocean minnows are some of the best.