PDA

View Full Version : Giant Crawfish

richaaron
12-30-2009, 07:00 AM
Has anyone ever seen Crawfish this big? I was at my local mudhole yesterday when I got hung-up on a tree limb. Brought it in and this huge Crawfish had it's claw tangled up on some old line on the limb. I cut him free and let him go. Just to give you some perspective, I wear a size 11 shoe...

Oh yeah, I also managed to stick a 4.8 while I was there...

sonarbp
12-30-2009, 07:08 AM
WOW!! haven't seen a mudbug that big in a long time. Nice to see that there are still fish in that place....use to fish it all the time.

sonarbp

vanillagurilla
12-30-2009, 07:28 AM
if thats the same mudhole i know, thats my buddy. you should see him in the summer he turns a bright blue color. i cought him a few times with my gf catfishing.

Mondo21
12-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Actually yes, I'm from Louisiana, and have caught alot that size. Never here in Cali. Cindy:Big Grin:

smokinflies
12-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Nice 4.8lber. :Envious:

richaaron
12-30-2009, 11:23 AM
A guy I know went diving in the big lake a couple of years ago to retrieve some baits. He said that out in the middle of the lake in 3-4 different locations, the crawfish were stacked up on each other and every one of them was at least 8-10" in length. He said he saw hundreds...

tall tales
12-30-2009, 11:30 AM
if that where i think it is theres a hump in the big lake just off the sailboat point. used to have abuddy who would meter all the oc lakes at night. theres good fish in there most are just out deep. thanks for the report nice fish.

Bassnman Mike
12-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Thats no crawdad, its a fricken Lobster!!! HA!

Vman
12-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Yep, there 're alot of them there. Last time I fished that hole was 3 weeks ago. Snagged two about the same size and also stuck a 3 & 6 pounders about 5 feet from shore. Didn't bother to post to keep the locals happy.

fishinone
12-30-2009, 03:33 PM
I see big ones like that in Castaic lagoon sometimes.

Should be good with melted butter.

Vman
12-30-2009, 04:06 PM
if that where i think it is theres a hump in the big lake just off the sailboat point. used to have abuddy who would meter all the oc lakes at night. theres good fish in there most are just out deep. thanks for the report nice fish.

Hey, that is excellent info. Some dude told me that he caught 6 fish in an hour one night about 6 weeks ago right off that point. I 've been trying to find out what 's down there.

richaaron
12-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Yep, there 're alot of them there. Last time I fished that hole was 3 weeks ago. Snagged two about the same size and also stuck a 3 & 6 pounders about 5 feet from shore. Didn't bother to post to keep the locals happy.

Really...? When are you there?

bassassassin
12-30-2009, 09:27 PM
nice report rich, dave showed me that pic of the bass this morning

Sierra_Smitty
12-30-2009, 10:48 PM
holy crap! That is insane!!!

richaaron
12-31-2009, 05:56 AM
nice report rich, dave showed me that pic of the bass this morning

Thanks Seth. How did you and Troy do at Irvine?

richaaron
12-31-2009, 06:08 AM

Upsetting the locals doesn't concern me considering I'm probably the one who puts the most time on the water at that Lake. I've seen guy's from this site (mostly lurkers), come and go. Most without getting a bite. Talking about "this lake sucks" or "I don't know what to throw". If ever I see someone keeping a Bass, I try to educate them on the importance of C&R. 99.9999% of the time, the fish lives to see another day. If they don't have a license, I just take the Bass, or any fish for that matter and release it on my own. In other words, I have no problems with sharing basic info on that Lake. -Rich

Vman
12-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Upsetting the locals doesn't concern me considering I'm probably the one who puts the most time on the water at that Lake. I've seen guy's from this site (mostly lurkers), come and go. Most without getting a bite. Talking about "this lake sucks" or "I don't know what to throw". If ever I see someone keeping a Bass, I try to educate them on the importance of C&R. 99.9999% of the time, the fish lives to see another day. If they don't have a license, I just take the Bass, or any fish for that matter and release it on my own. In other words, I have no problems with sharing basic info on that Lake. -Rich

I am not being critical. It 's true that most people I saw fishing there did not even get a single bite. I also ran into people that I 'd consider very good fishermen. I forgot this guy's name, but he works at Fishermen Access. I spent an hour talking with him as he shows me around the lake, spots where he caught some good fish.

I fished that lake 5 days straight, just to figure it out. Mostly from 9am till 3:30 and a few times after dark. Every single day I caught a bass, the most being 4 in one day. Very tough fishing, if you asked me. Most of the fishes came from a very small area, so I kept all this to myself ( I only mentioned it to Bassassin/Seth about a week ago ). Anyway, recently I 've been turned on to this totally ignored body of water that is similar but twice as big, so I stopped fishing there.

richaaron
12-31-2009, 04:46 PM
I am not being critical. It 's true that most people I saw fishing there did not even get a single bite. I also ran into people that I 'd consider very good fishermen. I forgot this guy's name, but he works at Fishermen Access. I spent an hour talking with him as he shows me around the lake, spots where he caught some good fish.

I fished that lake 5 days straight, just to figure it out. Mostly from 9am till 3:30 and a few times after dark. Every single day I caught a bass, the most being 4 in one day. Very tough fishing, if you asked me. Most of the fishes came from a very small area, so I kept all this to myself ( I only mentioned it to Bassassin/Seth about a week ago ). Anyway, recently I 've been turned on to this totally ignored body of water that is similar but twice as big, so I stopped fishing there.

Thats cool. Maybe I'll see you there sometime...

IncredibleHuck
01-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Lake Hemet and Big Bear has some Huge Crawdads!

plumbertom
01-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Big Bear Lake has bunches of them that big and bigger. I've caught plenty of them slow fishing crawlers along the rocky shorelines.

bassassassin
01-02-2010, 02:32 AM
Thanks Seth. How did you and Troy do at Irvine?

didnt make it out cause my damn phone was outta batteries hahaha

Stormcrow
01-02-2010, 08:13 PM
I saw one that big once in the colorado river. They do turn blue. Im guessing that bug is 15 years old or more.