PDA

View Full Version : Malibu 7/6/07

Rhino1
07-08-2007, 01:06 AM
My 1st post so bear with me if I leave out crucial :)

It was a bit windy & cloudy. A buddy of mine and I caught two of these guitarfish (using grunion we caught last weekend) on a high/low rig, what I believe is a white croaker and a few barred surf perch using sand crabs on a carolina rig. We were on the beach between about 1:30 and 5:30 pm.
I'd like to try eating the next guitarfish we catch, but read somewhere that they should be "bled" immediately after being caught. Can anyone tell me how this is done on this type of fish? (Do I basically just remove the head and hang the tail?)

Been reading this forum for a while -- thanks for getting me started at the beach !

Cangler
07-08-2007, 07:32 AM
Looks like a corbina to me ...

bones
07-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Yep....That a corbina....Congrats!
Forget about the guitar fish for food. Their kinda nasty and the meat is a ***** to get at. Better off eating the corbina if you decided to keep it but I do suggest that you let them go also.
Welcome to the board.

Hitts0n
07-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Looks like a irvine hormone trout to me.............lma0
Great catchez !!

one_leg
07-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Nice bean, Rhino1!!!

Welcome to the FN message boards.

One_Leg

Rhino1
07-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Corbina or a "bean" I guess. Cool thank you! Headed out again on wednesday I'll let you guys know how it goes!

187fish
07-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Welcome to the board and nice bean. Guitar fish can be eaten and its not that difficult to get the meat. A buddy showed me a way to do it. Basically start at the the thickest part of the tail and run your knife down on both sides of the spine. Remove meat, cut across tail meat as to make little steaks, remove skin and any red colored meat, and cook. Usually we just battered and fried them. Hope that was easy enouph to understand. 187

smokehound
07-10-2007, 11:39 AM
I use a Magic Bullet to make a shrimp paste to stuff into SGF steaks.

I boil some shrimp (or steam them) then throw them in the magic bullet, along with some crab meat, if possible. add either onion or garlic, and blend it, then cut slits in the steaks, and stuff it in, then i broil it.