PDA

View Full Version : Best fishing spot in Sierras?

Trout Seeker
12-29-2009, 05:24 PM
I don't want anyone giving up that "secret" fishing hole, but I would like to ask a question.
I am planning a 4 or 5 day fishing trip next August with my 8 year old son to the sierras for some serious Dad and son fishing time. It will be our 1st trip to the Eastern Sierras fishing, so I am asking advice as to where to take an 8 year old and catch some "guaranteed" fish? I would like to make his 1st fishing experience a good one.
So, I guess I'm asking recommended fishing spots, bait and technique? We will be bait fishing.

Thanks in advance everyone.

AngryAgent
12-29-2009, 05:33 PM
I would stop in Bishop and fish everything right there. Just make a quick left on W. Line St. and head all the way up into the canyon and you'll come right up to South, Intake 2, North and Sabrina. Intake 2 and North are smaller and you will have your best bet fishing either of those for some pretty good fishing for your boy. Just power bait up like normal and you'll be fine. If you head up to North just head to the back of the lake where the shale is coming down (you can't miss it) and fish from there. It is a really small lake and you should be able to do well from anywhere. I would also suggest staying at Trees motel. It's not 5 star accommodations or anything but the price is great and it is a clean place worth staying at. I have been staying there for years.

Good luck:Envious:

Trout 1
12-29-2009, 07:35 PM
What AngryAgent said!!!!!! I would try Intake II first though! Have a good time out there. Oh yeah use light line the most I would go is 4# test.

Trout 1

Fastfish
12-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Robinson Creek outside of Bridgeport camp along the creek fish on the creek and fish on upper and lower twin lakes, kinda hard to beat the Mamouth lakes area also as they stock that area so heavily at that time of the year.

olfishergal
12-29-2009, 08:02 PM
head up tp June Lake loop.........great place for sight seeing as well as fishing, you can't help but catch fish there in any of the lakes. I personally like silver lake.........next best place is Bishop creek, Intake !!, SouthLake, stay at Parchers resort, you will love it......OFG

AngryAgent
12-29-2009, 08:04 PM
head up tp June Lake loop.........great place for sight seeing as well as fishing, you can't help but catch fish there in any of the lakes. I personally like silver lake.........next best place is Bishop creek, Intake !!, SouthLake, stay at Parchers resort, you will love it......OFG

If you are going to go to the June Loop it is a must that you fish Gull. That is the best lake outta that Loop. I have caught some toads outta that lake my PB being 11.7lbs.

Sierra_Smitty
12-29-2009, 08:08 PM
I agree with the other two gentleman about Bishop Creek - although I'm hardly objective as I run a resort and marina in the Bishop Creek area (South Lake is the best BTW if you take the marina staff's advice). But...since the other guys elaborated on my area, I'll suggest a few other great spots to keep it fair.

1. Mammoth Lakes Basin - the closest I've been to "guaranteed" results is upper Twin in Mammoth. Rent a row boat for you and your son and row straight towards the waterfall...when you can no longer see the bottom, anchor and fish. If you don't get bit within 15 minutes, pull up the anchor and keep rowing towards the waterfall til you come to a shallow spot between two deep areas...then anchor again and repeat. I realize you want to fish bait but they really like the florescent orange powerworms there - a good compromise would be to use the new Gulp! orange trout worms on a size 10 owner mosquito hook and a 3/0 (or larger if you need it) split shot about 2ft above the hook. You can soak this rig or slowly retrieve - or a combination of both. The Gulp eggs in Pink or Orange were pretty lights-out last season. My second choice for the Mammoth Basin would be Lake Mary...I like the shoreline near Lake Mary Marina for bank fishing, the stickups by the outlet or the sunken logs on the east shore if fishing from a boat. Same baits...although you may want to add Chunky Cheese or Salmon Peach PB to the bait arsenal.

2. Devils Postpile - Starkweather Lake and the San Joaquin are exceptional, although somewhat dependent on stocking date as both are prone to being fished out. There are a few big deep holes at Upper Soda Springs campground that are possibly my favorite of any stream anywhere...salmon eggs or gulp eggs will do the trick. Starkweather is the usual - various colors of PB, gulp stuff, inflated crawlers etc. It pays to vary your leader length, especially during August as the fishing pressure and the warmer weather tends to make the fish a bit more finicky than in May or June. Sometimes a long leader is the trick - sometimes the opposite.

I am a HUGE fan of the June Loop....but not in August. I tried to get away from my own area for a breather a few times this summer and found the fishing to be less than impressive and temps almost at 90 in the peak of the summer. Spring and Fall are ridiculously good though....especially Gull for the big 'bows and Grant for Browns.....when is it gonna stop snowing? I'm ready to fish now!!!

Also, not sure if its in the budget or not but we will have some licensed guides on staff at my resort this summer if you need a little help (bait or artificials)....PM me if you'd like more info.

IMO the best months for fishing are May, June, September and October....that's not to say that July & August can't be awesome, but early and late in the season have always been the best in my experience. Just throwing that out there in case you have some flexibility in your dates.

Good luck wherever you end up....and don't be afraid to mix it up, there are LOTS of lakes and streams up here and all of them offer something just a little different.

Peace,
Smitty

samgann93
12-29-2009, 08:28 PM
GO TO VITGINIA LAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had so much fun there a couple years ago with my dad. caught fish all day long.

smokinflies
12-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Roosevelt and Lane Lake off of Highway 108(along the West Walker River). Native cuts and brookies, and easy limits. An awesome place to fish of you could make the hike in.

Be sure to look up the regulations on these two lakes if you plan to go.

Yup, Silver Lake is a very beautiful lake to fish.

I also enjoy the fishing and scenery at Convict Lake.

No guarantee on the fishing catching, just on the awesome scenery and a great time.

Joshua
12-30-2009, 11:25 AM
I would like to throw in 2 spots along the 395
Lone Pine, Head up to Whitney Portal. There is a small pond planted with fish, you can sight fish. Keeps the lil ones interested. Dont spend all day, just an hour to land a few fish
The Sand trap can be good, just depends on the last fish plant. This area is close to town and easy to get to. It receives alot of pressure.
There is also Tuttle Creek and Lone Pine campground. Both of these are small creeks that may be running low in August. But always worth a few casts.

Big Pine
Head up the Hill until you come to Glacial Lodge. The main lodge burnt down. Park and walk over the bridge, You will see a small pond. These fish like salmon eggs. Cast them and slowly retrieve.

I can provide you more details if you send me a PM or email. I WONT give up too much info on this site. Too many Lurkers and Poachers. I have fished with young kids for the past 15 years so I know how important it is to get the lil ones hooked up

PS
You are going to the Sierras, that alone is almost a guaranteed hook up. I grew uo fishing the Kern River, so when I came over the the Eastern Sierras it was much easier (and safer)

jim532
12-30-2009, 11:51 AM
anywhere you find water up in the sierras is a good spot.

cjschock
12-30-2009, 01:09 PM
I would fish Intake II and Sabrina. Also, try the streams above Intake II there are some nice deep pools around there.

troutdog
12-30-2009, 01:51 PM
I have two specific spots at South Lake and Silver Lake that I have NEVER been skunked at with my 9 year old daughter....feel free to PM me with exact locations!

Good luck and have fun!

TD

Trout Seeker
12-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks for all the advice and knowledge you all shared. I'm definately looking forward to the trip with my son in the summer.
Someone mentioned staying at Parchers. I have also head about Cardinal resort in the same area. Which would be a better stay with an 8 year old desperatly looking for some fish!

Where would the better place to stay be.............Parchers or Cardinal Village??????

TroutOnly
12-31-2009, 09:37 PM
GRANT LAKE, BIGGEST AMOUNT OF BIG FISH LEAST, LEAST AMOUNT OF PRESSURE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

Trout Seeker
01-01-2010, 11:35 AM
TO.....thanks for the Grant Lake advices Where on Grant Lake is the best spot and what kind of bait would you suggest?
My 8 year old will be bait fishing for now, untill he masters the fine art of casting. :)

Trout Seeker

Sierra_Smitty
01-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice and knowledge you all shared. I'm definately looking forward to the trip with my son in the summer.
Someone mentioned staying at Parchers. I have also head about Cardinal resort in the same area. Which would be a better stay with an 8 year old desperatly looking for some fish!

Where would the better place to stay be.............Parchers or Cardinal Village??????

The Cluff's are great folks...they own Cardinal....location is great, atmosphere is great....excellent place to stay for sure. Bishop Creek Lodge is also an exceptional place to stay and the Olsens who own that are tip top. We have the best neighbors anyone could ask for.

I'm part owner of Parchers so I'm hardly the most objective guy to ask but I firmly believe that we have the best accomodations, best family atmosphere and the best location in the canyon(the creek runs right along our cabins and we're 1 mile from South Lake)....if I didn't firmly believe that, I wouldn't be in this business. If you do a search on this board for Parchers or South Lake you'll find lots of reports to review. We've hosted the Team57 crew in June for two seasons now and have a third trip planned for 2010.....

I suppose the best thing about the Bishop Creek Canyon is that there simply isn't a bad place to stay...camping or cabins.

Tight lines!
Smitty....aka Jared Smith - GM Parchers Resort/South Lake Landing
www.parchersresort.net

Joshua
01-01-2010, 05:54 PM
The Cluff's are great folks...they own Cardinal....location is great, atmosphere is great....excellent place to stay for sure. Bishop Creek Lodge is also an exceptional place to stay and the Olsens who own that are tip top. We have the best neighbors anyone could ask for.

I'm part owner of Parchers so I'm hardly the most objective guy to ask but I firmly believe that we have the best accomodations, best family atmosphere and the best location in the canyon(the creek runs right along our cabins and we're 1 mile from South Lake)....if I didn't firmly believe that, I wouldn't be in this business. If you do a search on this board for Parchers or South Lake you'll find lots of reports to review. We've hosted the Team57 crew in June for two seasons now and have a third trip planned for 2010.....

I suppose the best thing about the Bishop Creek Canyon is that there simply isn't a bad place to stay...camping or cabins.

Tight lines!
Smitty....aka Jared Smith - GM Parchers Resort/South Lake Landing
www.parchersresort.net (http://www.parchersresort.net)

Smitty, enough already, Bla-bla-bla, Stay with me, buy my book.
Im kidding people.
You can tell Smitty is a good dude because he gave equal time to his neighbors/competition.

Apparently, Smitty doesnt like Ron at Creekside?? Im telling:Angry:

Sierra_Smitty
01-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Apparently, Smitty doesnt like Ron at Creekside?? Im telling:Angry:

I do like Ron actually - but nobody asked about RV camping, otherwise I would have recommended him.....always keeping me on my toes!!! lol!

sb fishing
01-03-2010, 10:24 AM
The BRIDGEPORT area...

PM me, I will help.

Trout Seeker
01-03-2010, 10:49 AM
To All:
Thanks for sharing the advice and knowledge on the best fishing spots and bait to use in the Eastern Sierras.
I am a novice to fishing, only have gone a couple times with my Dad when I was a kid (30 years ago). I now want to take and teach my son fishing, hopefully hooking him on the experience as well as some fish. We are planning a late summer trip to the Sierras, and I know that whith what has been shared here the experience for him will be a good one.

Again, thanks a bunch for the advice.

Trout Seeker

retired96
01-03-2010, 01:29 PM
I think for your sons first trip, you should maybe take him camping for his first trip, tent, sleeping bags, dinners cooked over a fire, etc. The Sierras in my opinion are so much better to enjoy when you camp versus staying in a motel or resort. There are so many things you can teach your son that he will always remember.

I have been fishing the Sierras for over 50 years and I still insist on tent camping and roughing it when I camp over 60 days a year in the Sierras.