PDA

View Full Version : phenix fx801-2

whittier_brian
12-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Anyone have a phenix fx801-2 and if so. how due you like it?

bsp
12-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Used the 801, own an 802. The 801 is a sweet mini jig rod (loads up with 1/32oz better), and the 802 is more of a dropshot or small jerkbait rod since it has a little more backbone. Both very good rods for their intended use.

vanillagurilla
12-29-2009, 03:45 PM
i like the 802 better. the 801 feels a little soft too me

formosa
12-29-2009, 04:05 PM
had a 901-2(9ft) custom wrapped last jan, just before the slab season. fished local lakes and down sd lakes with 1/32 jig head. and killed them. i was fish with rogue rx 905-2 before.but after fished phenix , now that rx 905-2 is my back up rod. phenix is out performance rogue for distance, action. even caught a 22" wiper at lake elsinore with it.
i am 100% satisfy what i made.

FLYFISHING MD
12-29-2009, 05:09 PM
i was going to custom wrapped all my rods the same color but they keep telling me that it changes the action. plus it feels heavier. ''did you have that problem''

formosa
12-29-2009, 09:56 PM
i was going to custom wrapped all my rods the same color but they keep telling me that it changes the action. plus it feels heavier. ''did you have that problem''

i don't know who are "they", all of my fresh or salt rods are custom wrapped with same color and i don't think rods will feel heavier or changes the action???? because custom wrapped. most custom wrappers did very good jobs. my wrapper is good friend of mine,back bone always on the money. guides are straight. finish are clean....... etc. and i
did enjoy his workmanship and creation.
if you need help pm me.will give you his #.

calico killer kevin
12-30-2009, 01:02 AM
Color changes the actin and adds weight to a rod? I think you're getting your information from the wrong people.

vanillagurilla
12-30-2009, 07:31 AM
its not the color but guide and wraping material. heavier guides and material will make the action slower, and lighter guides and wraping material will make it faster (I.E. stiffer)

FLYFISHING MD
12-30-2009, 05:34 PM
i know color is not going to make a difference on the way the rod performs what they ''rod builders in ie area'' said is the amount of wax and the amount of wrapping material is not going to be the same as when they designed the rod. Come on calico killer kevin:Twisted: give me some credit i buy very expensive gear so i just want to make the right desicion. Thanks vanillagurilla for clearing that up. Formosa im geting a 7' fly sage rod blank and turning it into a trout rod for jigging. A guy in upland is going to do it and if he doesnt do a good job i will pm you.

whittier_brian
12-30-2009, 08:52 PM
thanks for the hijack.

FLYFISHING MD
12-31-2009, 05:14 PM
sorry bro. i think all phenix rods are real good . but gloomis came out with a new line of trout rods a 7,2 and a 7,6 ''tsr901-2'' for jiggin check them out

bsp
01-06-2010, 07:19 PM
This is a new Phenix blank called the Mirage made from Magna Fibers. It's more durable than the graphite, and is insanely thin. These will retail $149-$199. 12 models available and they should be out in a few weeks.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/newMirageblank.jpg

formosa
01-06-2010, 07:30 PM
wow, that's amazing. like to see one and have a few of those. did you know what models
are they?

bsp
01-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Sorry, I have no idea man.

ghetto dad
01-06-2010, 07:39 PM
This is a new Phenix blank called the Mirage made from Magna Fibers. It's more durable than the graphite, and is insanely thin. These will retail $149-$199. 12 models available and they should be out in a few weeks.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/ghost2u/newMirageblank.jpg

SICK!!!! i WANT one or two of those!!!

GD

vanillagurilla
01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
its a cool concept. the blank at the tip is really really thin in diameter. i just dont like how "whippy" it is. its like a 4' kencore at the top.

ghetto dad
01-06-2010, 07:59 PM
it might not be as whippy as we think...dudes bending that thing.....

GD

vanillagurilla
01-06-2010, 09:00 PM
ive seen the rod in person. its rated 1-9lb and its pretty whippy. you can just about tie the tip in a knot.

SOSO
01-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Reminds me of the UGLY STICK..

ghetto dad
01-06-2010, 09:33 PM
ive seen the rod in person. its rated 1-9lb and its pretty whippy. you can just about tie the tip in a knot.

oh, ok....

GD

bsp
01-06-2010, 09:45 PM

I've got one and mine really isn't that whippy. The one you saw may have been that way (I have no knowledge of the other models), but the one I have is defintely not a noodle like you describe. Fast action and a very good mini jig/dropshot rod for trout.

SOSO, a few guys I spoke with at LNL made that same comment. This rod is in no way an Ugly Stick. It's really light, has an incredibly thin blank, and is very sensitive.

vanillagurilla
01-07-2010, 07:35 AM
how did you get one? lol a month ago Jeff only had like 2 wrapped.

bsp
01-07-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm sponsored, so I got asked to try one of them out.

vanillagurilla
01-07-2010, 03:50 PM
they tell me that only pro-staff members are part of phenix and that even they have to pay for the rods lol.

bsp
01-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Like I said, I'm on the pro staff, and I'm trying the rod out... so I return it or buy it when they get released.

vanillagurilla
01-07-2010, 04:16 PM
sweet. jeff was telling me that he went to the sierras for the opener and all kinds of peeps wanted one of the rods lol. well when they come out i would like to try it before i buy one so hopefully one of my buddys pics one up that i can try out.

bsp
01-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Yeah, Jeff is an awesome guy and great to talk to. I can imagine the swarm in the Sierras lol.

If I see you at one of the local paylakes (at park lakes I'm swimbaiting), I'll let you try out the rod if you want. I'm definitely not a secretive or anti-social guy and like talking about different fishing techniques when I run into people. Always a good way to pick up info and meet new guys to fish with.

vanillagurilla
01-07-2010, 04:40 PM
ditto bsp. i dont frequent the paylakes like i used to but if i go ill hit you up a few days before. i would just like to feel the sensitivity and action of the rod. Yeah Jeff is a riot. i just about lifted him off the ground with one of the salt water blanks. he told me that if it broke he would give me another rod so i had to try. really strong blanks!

bsp
01-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Sounds good! It's crazy how much the rods can lift. I'll probably buy an 867ML for calicos and eventually a 909H for the surface iron once I save up more money.

WB, sorry for the partial thread jacking.

ghetto dad
01-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Like I said, I'm on the pro staff, and I'm trying the rod out... so I return it or buy it when they get released.

jump me into the phenix gang homie..lol...i want some new trout rods!!!

GD

bsp
01-07-2010, 05:34 PM
jump me into the phenix gang homie..lol...i want some new trout rods!!!

GD

Lol, that was the first thing my buddy Big Steve (he's like 6'6"-6'7") said when he found out!

Sorry I can't hook anybody up with any deals, but if you guys see me at any lakes or in the surf say hi! I'll gladly talk and fish with you, and let you try out whatever rod I'm using if you want.

ghetto dad
01-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Lol, that was the first thing my buddy Big Steve (he's like 6'6"-6'7") said when he found out!

Sorry I can't hook anybody up with any deals, but if you guys see me at any lakes or in the surf say hi! I'll gladly talk and fish with you, and let you try out whatever rod I'm using if you want.

lmao..my name is Steve too..but im only 6 2

i wasnt asking for hook ups....lmao.....

thanks man....

GD

bsp
01-07-2010, 06:15 PM
lmao..my name is Steve too..but im only 6 2

i wasnt asking for hook ups....lmao.....

thanks man....

GD

Lol, that makes 3 Steves I know that fish!

I knew you weren't bro (sorry if it seemed like I thought you were), but I just wanted to make it clear that I couldn't hook anybody up. I wish I could, but I just can't. :Cool:

Hit me up when you want to go pull on a few fish GD (spotties, trout, it's all good). Sorry I didn't let you know about LNL last week by the way. I only decided to go that morning for a few hours, so I figured it wouldn't be worth telling anybody.

Fire Ball
01-07-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm sponsored, so I got asked to try one of them out.

Dude, how do you get sponsored bsp!?? And for what kind of fishing?

GeordyBass
01-08-2010, 06:59 PM
its not the color but guide and wraping material. heavier guides and material will make the action slower, and lighter guides and wraping material will make it faster (I.E. stiffer)
not exactly... Fast means how fast the tip rebounds back when bent.... Extra fast rods are sure as heck not stiffer,,,:Cool:

ghetto dad
01-08-2010, 07:19 PM
not exactly... Fast means how fast the tip rebounds back when bent.... Extra fast rods are sure as heck not stiffer,,,:Cool:

aka "taper"......and imo, the extra fast rods that ive had are a bit stiffer than the slower tapered.....

GD

vanillagurilla
01-10-2010, 10:07 AM
yeah you got it backwards Geordy. think about how stiff a fast action rod is. then a moderate action. a fast taper will start to buiild back bone imediately, a moderate action rod is more parabolic and will bend the same from the tip to the handle.