PDA

View Full Version : Need tips on launching & retrieving boat

vortec_cruiser
12-28-2009, 11:16 PM
I got a new (to me) boat, but need some tips on launching by myself. The boat is an 18.5' fiberglass bass/ski boat. Most of the time my son will be fishing with me, but there will be times when I'm by myself. I've had 13' & 14' aluminum boats in the past, and there's no problem launching and retrieving them to the trailer. But with the bigger and heavier boat, I'm worried about getting it back on the trailer at the end of the day.

GeordyBass
12-28-2009, 11:27 PM
She's A beauty!!!! Thats a really nice ski and fish you got there!

The best thing would be that you kind of launch it like you would regularly do but don't bump it off. You'll have to have either drive it off the trailer and dock it... then drive off, or if your next to the dock, you'll have to not bump it off either but just push it off and throw the rope to the dock and tie it off...

hope it helps!

vortec_cruiser
12-28-2009, 11:54 PM
She's A beauty!!!! Thats a really nice ski and fish you got there!

The best thing would be that you kind of launch it like you would regularly do but don't bump it off. You'll have to have either drive it off the trailer and dock it... then drive off, or if your next to the dock, you'll have to not bump it off either but just push it off and throw the rope to the dock and tie it off...

hope it helps!
Thanks for the advice and the compliment.

That takes care of the launch, but I'm more concerned with putting it back on the trailer.

NoHo ART
12-29-2009, 12:57 AM
its not any different then your 13'er just be gentle and do the same as you would with the smaller boat:Wink:

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
12-29-2009, 06:47 AM
I've been waterskiing/fishing for many years and have launched and un-launched my boats by myself many times. About putting boat back on trailer..........
Best thing I always try to do is tie off your boat at the dock where you can back your trailer down to (if the place is being used you'll need to wait), get your vehicle/trailer and back down next to the dock and just pull/push the boat onto the trailer and secure the bow however it usually gets secured. You may get wet doing this, but it's the only way I know how to tackle this situation without having the bow dip too low to secure the bow with your weight. Then just drive off. Your trailer has those guides along the sides so you'll be fine having it centered enough until you get back into the parking lot where you can manually adjust the centering.
Also, there are always other people at the dock so if you need a hand they'll always try to help a single boater in need. We boaters know what it's like since we've all been there before. Keeping a nice fiberglass boat in good condition takes more time but it's worth it.
Happy boating/fishing !
TTFM

Bassnman Mike
12-29-2009, 07:30 AM
First off, congrats on your new boat. In my opinion glass is the only way to go. There are alot of times I go fishing either alone or with someone that cant help with launching or recovering, the wife, nephew, etc.

To launch, prep the boat in the parking lot load it up, place "dock bumpers" on the sides, disconnect the rear tie downs, etc. I then back down to the water, VERIFY THE PLUG IS IN THE BOAT, that is VERY important. Then I disconnect the wibch strap and tie a rope to the boat. If I have someone along I have them hold the rope, if not I secure it to rhe dock somewhere. Splash the boat and park the truck

To recover, I tie up to the dock, back the trailer down close to the dock. With my Champion I back the trailer into the water until the top of my rear wheel wells touch the water. How far you'll have to back in depends on your boat. I then drive the boat up onto the trailer until it comes in contact with the front roller. Leave the motor running to hold you against the roller and go up front. lean over the bow, hookup the winch strap and tighten it. go back and shut off the motor and trim it up. Remember how you backed down close to the dock? Just step off the deck onto the dock. No one gets wet therefore you can fish in the cold of winter. During the winter be sure to back close enough to the dock that you dont have to jump, just incase the dock has ice on it so you dont slip.

As to how far you'll have to back your trailer into the water it all depends on your boat. You want to be able to get most of the way onto your trailer with little effort and then by applying some throttle, drive up slowly until you contact the front roller.

Hope that helps some. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

vortec_cruiser
12-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks guys. I do appreciate all the tips.

basscat
12-29-2009, 05:08 PM
I have been trailering boats from fresh water to launching into Baja (Lorteo). Those boats have been either 14' to 25' and it's the same for all retrieval back to the trailer.

Luckily, you have the side guides, but the most important thing to remember to to keep your carpeted bunks in the water, but leave both sides of the bunks exposed to about a one foot patch. That's what's going to help you get it centered right, along with the guides.

My 25' has no side guides, but never had a problem in getting it back on the trailer, solo, if I have to.

I see so many boaters with the bunks all underwater and it just floats above the "contact points'. This method also works on ramps where the water's so bumpy due to either rough seas caused by windy conditions or boaters making a big splash next to you.

One of the steepest ramps is in the Marina Coral (Ensenada) and again, having the bunks partly exposed helps a lot.

Like with anything, practice, practice and soon, you'll look like a pro.

I've had to help many a noobie boater to get their boats back on the trailer.

Good luck.

vortec_cruiser
12-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks, Basscat. I appreciate the help.

fishfinder
01-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Well one thing for sure is you got plenty advice on the subject. I felt the same way when I had to launch my boat the first time and recover it. When I bought my boat I was at a boat shop and went for a test drive. Well the guys that take you for a test drive launch boats by themselves all day long, so i studied his technique. When recovering you want to have the top of the wheel wells about 2-3" higher than you did when you launched it. for me its about 2" out of the water. Then when you come into the trailer you want to get some pretty good speed up cause you need to be able to slide up the bunkers. if you have your trailer to shallow, your boat will float to one side or another to much (with your siderails i am not sure if that will happen) sometimes i have to jump back in the truck to back in about a foot or two after i have hooked up my trailer hook. (dont forget to hook up boat before you pull off the ramp) when launching it yourself just drive it off the trailer.