PDA

View Full Version : Huntington Beach Dog Park 07/07

MikeAce00
07-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Hey Everyone,

Fished the dog beach in HB today from 10am-3pm. I was hoping to catch a Leo

I've heard that this beach tends to hold leos and rays, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Well I spent most of the day walking the beach for Nada. I used #4, 1/2oz egg sinker, MORF grub.. I didn't get my first perch till about 2:15. I immediately tie it to my other rod swim out to the breakers fling out the perch with a swivel and 4oz pyramid...

Well I couldn't get my line to stay out there as the current pushing very strongly to the north and into the beach. I gave up on this method at least for the day and continued hunting the BSP's for 2 additional.

Total count 3 BSP's all between 2-3pm on MORF grubs. I really enjoy fishing the surf but I never seem to have much luck, even when targeting perch. Any tips on how I can make my next trip to the surf more productive I'd really appreciate it.

TIA,

Mike

rusty6
07-07-2007, 11:22 PM
rather than the morf, use the gulp camo sandworms, or live sand crabs if you can find any, fish right in the breakers or even shallower. thats how i get them.

Cangler
07-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Try those Gulp minnows too .... the ones with the curley tails ...

amskater
07-08-2007, 10:27 AM
how was the beach crowd and dogs I take my dog there sometimes but thought it might be too busy to fish there

El Weirdo
07-09-2007, 09:03 AM
was there Sunday..it was wide open for barred perch...well small ones..new to the surf fishing game...

MikeAce00
07-09-2007, 12:50 PM
The crowd wasn't too bad, some area were more crowded than others but we found a quite place just south of seapoint. We brought our dog and she loved it. The gf however got bit by somebody else's dog left a puncture wound on her hand so that wasn't cool, then another dog came over and pissed on our ice chest a titanium/nylon one too make it worse...

Do you guys tend to have better luck with a moving tide, slack, or gray light?? I've always felt NPH was better when the water was moving without too much relation to time of day but does that hold true for the surf?

TIA,

Mike

seanboi
07-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Another really good spot that i always have good luck fishing for leopards and rays is at the smokestacks in Huntington Beach right next to the Hilton Hotel. Use cut or whole squid and about 20 lb test a 2/0 hook and about a 4 ounce weight. Ive caughten many big leopards ranging from 2- 4 feet and 30 plus pound bat rays and a few lucky beans.

Trout 1
06-28-2010, 10:07 PM
I have fished the surf twice and what I have found is MAKE SURE YOU FISH DURING HIGH TIDE for perch!!!!!!!! Both times all i used is gulp camo sandworms. Hb was good to me the first trip was like 24 perch in 2 hours and the second time was somewhere between 75-80 perch in 2 hours!!!! wavecast.com is a good place to see tide times. the first time i was off tide...

Trout 1

jerryG
06-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Bringing back this thread from dead..2007..

Jerryg

DockRat
06-29-2010, 07:32 AM
bringing back this thread from dead..2007..

Jerryg

why do dat ?
Dr

Trout 1
06-29-2010, 11:52 AM
i didnt notice the date sorry guys...

Trout 1