PDA

View Full Version : Wild trout in the Cucamonga Mtns 12-27-09

idratherbfishin
12-28-2009, 07:07 PM
I wanted to try something new so I headed up to the Cucamonga Wilderness with my cousin and uncle. I've hiked this area many times and have seen fish so I knew they were there, now it was just a matter of catching some. It was a long hike but it turned out to be well worth it. On the way to the spot we came across a large group of Big Horn sheep. We counted as least 7. Just seeing these beautiful animals was worth the hike, but there was still some fishing to do. Apparently we hiked a little too far because the first place we tried there was no water in the creek. So after a little backtracking we split up and got to the job at hand. At first I thought maybe there weren't fish in this creek after all but I soon found out this wasn't the case. I found a nice sized pool and proceeded to catch 4 nice little native rainbows, all on the same piece of night crawler! I worked my way up stream and caught a couple more. These weren't big fish but they sure put up a fight. I was using a size 14 barbless hook and all fish were successfully released to continue to grow and multiply.

Total count for the day:
Me-6 C&R
Cousin-3 C&R
Uncle-4 C&R

Swank909
12-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Nice post and great pics! Kudos on the C&R, means there will be more for next time!

Troutman65
12-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Nice going on the Trout. Thanks for posting up .:Cool:

fishinone
12-28-2009, 07:19 PM
The Big Horn Sheep are a great bonus for you trip.

Nice job on the catching and releasing.

I'm going to have to look up the Cucamonga Wilderness to find out where it is.

Swank909
12-28-2009, 07:25 PM
The Big Horn Sheep are a great bonus for you trip.

Nice job on the catching and releasing.

I'm going to have to look up the Cucamonga Wilderness to find out where it is.

Only way i know of is through a 8 mile hike (one way), but i'm sure there's a mountain road that would be closer somewhere

old pudd fisher
12-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Nice post and the fish are so full of color.The sheep pictuers are great thanks. I love those wild big horns.

Cameron
12-29-2009, 07:48 PM
great looking fish,thanks for sharing your trip.

crappiemike
12-29-2009, 08:00 PM
cool report and wild trout.........

cm

hugh jorgan
12-29-2009, 08:27 PM
speechless !!!!

simply awesome pictures & the most beautiful trout i have seen lately

thanx for sharing your trip :EyePop:

idratherbfishin
12-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks for all the kind replies, much appreciated. It was a nice way to finish out the year, hoping to have more to share in the near future. Tight lines -bfishin

Crawler
12-29-2009, 10:01 PM
AWESOME. Way to go on the sheep pic. You dont see those things everyday.

The guy in the blue flannel. His name wouldnt happen to be Eric would it?

idratherbfishin
12-31-2009, 09:42 AM
AWESOME. Way to go on the sheep pic. You dont see those things everyday.

The guy in the blue flannel. His name wouldnt happen to be Eric would it?

No, thats my cousin Danny.

VIVID_FLY
12-31-2009, 05:36 PM
Cool shots and fish ... i caught 4 small ones at Lytle Creek 12 23 2009 using attractor fly and dropper

all cleanly released without handling the fish ..

keep up the CNR

LARiver
01-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Those small wild populations can be fragile. Good job with the Catch and Release.
It took me years to go barbless but with those small fish, it really helps them survive and if you lose one, it's not like you lost the fish of a lifetime. Finally, they come out of your hands and ears more easily!
B

Socalcreeker
01-01-2010, 02:16 PM
nice wild trout im gonna have to make it past the ice house canyon part. i usually spend my time catchin the browns

teejay
01-01-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm almost positive that I've camped in that spot where you took the picture of your uncle and cousin standing by the creek. It was back in the 70s and we built an indian style lodge on that bench on the other side of the creek. Mom dropped us off and we hiked up the canyon a ways. We saw alot of bighorns as well.

MammothMagic
01-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Wow what a fresh report love the sheep and great looking fish.