PDA

View Full Version : Skunked at Jess Ranch Saturday 12/26

Trout Seeker
12-28-2009, 05:08 PM
I had read alot about Jess Ranch here for sometime, so decided last Saturday to take my 8 year old son to Jess lake. It was my sons 1st fishing trip, and mine in about 20 years, so I was hoping to catch some fish and hook him on fishing.
Sadly to say, we both got skunked. Had 1 bite and that was it in 5 hours.
Needless to say, he is pretty discouraged with the fishing thing.
Anyway, I was looking for some advice on the best bait, technique and place to fish at Jess??? We will probably try it in another 3 or 4 weeks.

Thanks in advance.

Juventino
12-28-2009, 05:16 PM
how do you get skunked at JR? They do have a no skunk policy. What kind of tackle were you using, and what test was your line?

Danny300
12-28-2009, 05:56 PM
that's a first! Most complaints I've heard from here is. I limit to fast and gotta go LOL

Juventino
12-28-2009, 07:32 PM
that's a first! Most complaints I've heard from here is. I limit to fast and gotta go LOL

haha yeah once i had my limit 30 min in had to buy another pass lol

FLYFISHING MD
12-28-2009, 08:01 PM
if you work a orange powerworm on 2pline ,7foot rod ,1000 reel. you too can get kicked out by the old man in the first hour:Rolls Eyes:

Trout Seeker
12-28-2009, 09:32 PM
yeah, we got our skunk fish at the gimmee pond.....but we did get skunked on lake #3.
What size power worm, and how do you rig it?
We were using Power Bait...pink, green and orange with no luck on #3 lake by the north end.

karlow
12-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Carolina rigged 2-4lb test with #32 hook on a 1-2' leader. I have not been there in over 20 years. It has nothing to do with luck. Anything that got near the water got the job done! All those lures that never got bit somehow are a can't miss at JR. Case in point, I once made a cast that went into the trees and the lure was hanging about a foot above the water. You got it, a fish jumped out of the water and grabbed it broke my line and kept the lure.

Maybe try Goff?

Juventino
12-28-2009, 09:49 PM
yeah, we got our skunk fish at the gimmee pond.....but we did get skunked on lake #3.
What size power worm, and how do you rig it?
We were using Power Bait...pink, green and orange with no luck on #3 lake by the north end.

when i use worms i use a split shot i use just one just enough to get it out there but also light enough to let it float a bit

MammothMagic
12-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Let me know next time you go and I will see if I can meet you there I promise we will get your kids on fish.

FLYFISHING MD
12-29-2009, 04:54 PM
what is up ''mammoth magic'' did you get my pm :???: did santa get you a kajak:???:

Kevthecatfishstudent
12-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Try using a mesqito size 10 or smaller carolina crigged or drop shot set up. Lace it with a crawler and variate the depth you are fishing and the direction you cast. I have experienced just being a few feet off a spot and people around me catching and I'm struggling. These fish do hold at different times of the day so... Also if the crawlers don't work try orange power worms (I believe they only come in one size) just stick the shank of the hook through the worm and put powerbait around it so that is looks like a ball with a tail. they call that the mouse trap I believe. Get yourself some scent Garlic works well. Good luck hope this helps

Trout Seeker
12-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Where on the 2 lakes do you suggest as being the best place to fish at Jess Ranch?

MammothMagic
12-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Already had one "a tandem emotion" we shoul go hit up the kelp some time.

Rooster
12-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Where on the 2 lakes do you suggest as being the best place to fish at Jess Ranch?
The inlets are the best spots on both lakes after that Grassy Point then logged shore. This is my opinion and im sticking to it :Envious:

troutguy26
12-30-2009, 01:53 AM
The inlets are the best spots on both lakes after that Grassy Point then logged shore. This is my opinion and im sticking to it :Envious:

thats pretty much it! i forgot which lake is which but the best lake is by grassy point...the inlet right there on the lake to ur left when u walk in.. go get em

troutguy26
12-30-2009, 01:54 AM
OH, and hit up mammoth magic for some fishing..the guy knows what he is doing and has some bait of his that kills em at this lake..anytime of the day.lol

MammothMagic
12-30-2009, 07:32 AM
OH, and hit up mammoth magic for some fishing..the guy knows what he is doing and has some bait of his that kills em at this lake..anytime of the day.lol

You the man Troutguy, and yes please hit me up I would love to get your kids on some fish.

Roundabout
12-30-2009, 09:04 AM
I was at jess ranch on sat on lake 3 across from the pump house.The bite was wide open the first hour I caught 4 two pounders and then it shut off.So we moved and shortend our leaders to 10" and found fish right away.we used salmon peach and rainbow power bait on 2lb leader it was a slow day there I usually catch my limit to quick and have to leave the first hour this time it took about 4hrs (helping my friend with his limit lol)

Mr Bendo
12-30-2009, 07:32 PM
I was there on sat! Lake 2, it was wide open the first hour then nothing!!!!

troutguy26
12-30-2009, 07:47 PM
You the man Troutguy, and yes please hit me up I would love to get your kids on some fish.

thanks buddy! we need to get together and slay some fish bro! im goin to the yucaipa derby on the 9th