PDA

View Full Version : Torrey Pines

murrieta angler
12-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Left the house at 5:45 and arrived at Torrey Pines right at 6:40. As I pull up to park I look at the waves and they are crashing hard...:EyePop:
Since I am there I decide to give it a try. I start off throwing the LC 110 in Ghost Minnow. Every single cast I was rewarded with salad...:Sad: After 45 minutes I head back to the truck, switch up rods and try carolina rig with 1 1/2" blood grubbs (I think that's what it's called). I figured since I would be bouncing the bottom with a #2 split shot that I might get lucky. BUT HECK NO!!! Again, nothing but eel grass, kelp and trash.
I decide to move down the coast and check things out. My next stop was La Jolla. I get out of the truck, right there by the boat/kayak launch and as I'm talking with this dude, right in front of us about 10 feet away, a nice size halibut jumps out of the water chasing something. We both look at each other at the same time and say; "Did you see that!" ? We both started busting up..:LOL: I go park my truck, get back to the spot and proceed to throw the LC again....Nothing But Salad!! So I bail outta there.
I decided to try Mission Bay and see how it was. The tide was going out and after an hour of nothing I call it quits for the day.
On the way back, I stopped at Turners and bought a few things, including my 2010 fishing license.

OH WELL! You can't get something everyday, unless your Arthur (Wingnut:Cool:) But if you don't get your line wet, you won't ever get anything...:Big Grin:

Take Care All, Robert

NooB SaBass
12-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Sorry for the skunk >.< bad conditions makes fish near impossible to target... We will get out and recon soon I got the tide chart for 2010 mhahaha so I'm sure as soon as I know what to look for I'll have days planned...

hbomb
12-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Nonetheless you tried and thats what counts but I know you can slay bro. Thanks for sharing your experiences. :Cool:

Wingnut
12-28-2009, 07:06 PM
But if you don't get your line wet, you won't ever get anything...:Big Grin:

Robert, now that's the right attitude... I like that! :Cool:

I remember the first time I saw a Halibut go airborne... I was like "Did I really just see that...?!?" :Shocked: It's amazing how aggressive they get sometimes. :Twisted:

I've never surf fished the La Jolla area, but play golf at Torrey Pines a few times. Every time, I would look over those cliffs on the golf course and wish that I had my surf gear with me. :LOL: Beautiful area...

Thanks for the nice report and good luck to you out there next time. I'm sending you a PM on how to better prepare yourself when it comes to the conditions before you plan your next trip. :Wink:

murrieta angler
12-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Sorry for the skunk >.< bad conditions makes fish near impossible to target... We will get out and recon soon I got the tide chart for 2010 mhahaha so I'm sure as soon as I know what to look for I'll have days planned...

I really don't mind not catching any fish. Getting out there just helps me to relax my mind and get things figured out for the future.

If you have no goals, you have no direction...:Big Grin:

Take It Easy Noob

sansou
12-29-2009, 06:41 PM
On a nice calm day, with the right tides you can fish off Indian Rock. That used to always produce something for me.

FYI, you really don't want to wander any further south than Indian Rock, especially if you are fishing with kids.

murrieta angler
12-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Robert, now that's the right attitude... I like that! :Cool:

I remember the first time I saw a Halibut go airborne... I was like "Did I really just see that...?!?" :Shocked: It's amazing how aggressive they get sometimes. :Twisted:

I've never surf fished the La Jolla area, but play golf at Torrey Pines a few times. Every time, I would look over those cliffs on the golf course and wish that I had my surf gear with me. :LOL: Beautiful area...

Thanks for the nice report and good luck to you out there next time. I'm sending you a PM on how to better prepare yourself when it comes to the conditions before you plan your next trip. :Wink:

Arthur,
Thanks for the sites, I appreciate it.
Before I go out I do check out www.weather.com. I just hope that maybe, I might get a small window of opportunity to get something. If not, I just enjoy the time of solitude and the chance to rest my mind.
With The Lord, 3 kids, wife, dog, and a business to run it gets pretty hectic sometimes...:EyePop:
But, He has a reason for everything, and I don't always get The Message as soon as I would like sometimes...:Rolls Eyes: You know what I mean?!
Take Care and God Bless, Robert

Troutman65
12-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Nice read. Thanks for posting up .:Cool:

flyngby
12-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Getting out and getting time on the water is always nice!! When we don't get them it is hard to take but also has valuable lessions for the next time!

Steve