PDA

View Full Version : Rods for mini jigging from shore

dogg91702
12-28-2009, 05:57 AM
Good morning, I was wondering what is most important in a rod when you are using mini jigs from the shore.

Such as length, type(ultra light, light, medium light etc...) and action

I know there are a lot of threads of this type but, I wanted to ask these specific questions. Hope everyone had a good christmas, thanks

vanillagurilla
12-28-2009, 07:25 AM
your going to get 100 differnent answers from 100 different people. this is a personal choice. i would recomend a rod over 7', i use an 8'6". ultra light action of course and i like a fast action but that again is personal preference. do you like noodle rods or semi-stiff rods?

dogg91702
12-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Not even sure bro,

I fish a lot but, am barely getting into jigging. I have mostly just baited and waited.

I have a kencore 6'6 orange magnaglass right now that I don't like. I don't feel very much on it, not sure if it is because of the size or material it is made out of. I also don't like the thickness down on the handle, maybe because I am used to using my smaller pole.

Then I have a 5'6 st. croix triumph UL which I really like how it feels. On days when the trout aren't biting very hard I can hold it and feel everything to set the hook. I have even jigged with it in streams up in the sierras and east fork and liked the feeling very much.

I would like to get the same feeling in a big rod as I do in the small st. croix. I am not sure if it is possible to do so.

vanillagurilla
12-28-2009, 08:06 AM
its possible to retain the sensitivity. i would recomend a fast action graphite rod. i have a phenix 862-2 and its pretty damn sensitive as compared to a 7'6" diawa spinmatic. i dont know what your price range is but people are going to recomend phenix and G-Loomis. phenix rods run around 200-220 and loomis is closer to 300. kencore's are a horible jig rod even though i know guys who swear by them but i dont think there very sensitive. you gota watch the tip of the rod alot. also get your self a good 1000 size reel. thats probly the best thing i have ever done for my jigging rig. i use a stradic 1000fi but you can save some money and get a symetry for under 100 or a sahara for under 70. if you want light weight get the new stradic CI4. its pretty resonable for under 200.

dogg91702
12-28-2009, 08:20 AM
exactly, the kencor is not very sensitive IMO

I have a shimano symetre 750 I would love to match up if possible

Man 200 is steep for me, but, those loomis rods feel nice, I was looking for something about 100-120

I like the st. croix premier series, I was checking them out at bass pro yesterday

vanillagurilla
12-28-2009, 08:30 AM
well.... if you want to, I invite you to come down to my area when you can and ill get you on some trout and you can try out my phenix and see how you like it. I am in no way trying to get you to buy a phenix but you might find out what your really looking for in a rod, because you never know exactly what you want untill you try it. the symetry 750 is fine, i like the 1000 series because the spool is a little taller and i think it helps with casting a little bit, also the new spool lip design really dose help alot. have you thought about looking for a used rod?

dogg91702
12-28-2009, 08:36 AM
used would be good to, I surf through this site, ebay and craigslist but, the phenix and Loomis rods don't go down very much.

Like you said you don't know until you try them, that is why I am debating on selling my kencor, I have had it for a season, took it to the opener up in the sierras adn had it since then so it hasn't got that much use on it yet. Since they are so popular I think I could sell it pretty quick and get a different rod that I may like better.

vanillagurilla
12-28-2009, 08:41 AM
sell it and put that money with your other stash and bump up the rod you might want :). i see phenix's for sale sometimes in the 120-160 range. just save up some $$ and post up a WTB ad for the rod you want. you might get lucky. just dont tell how much $$ you have to spend so you can deal a little. if you say you have 150 there gona tell you they want 150 lol. good luck bud. but my invite is still open if you'd like and i know that pud is probly the closest to you and me so i dont know what day they stock but if you do let me know and i can meet you there and you can "test" my rod to see if you like it.

dogg91702
12-28-2009, 08:47 AM
cool, thanks for the invite. I have never been to puddingstone but, I don't live far. I will shoot you a PM when I go out that way or to puddingstone, I am kind of a spur of the moment fisherman so it is hard for me to commit, but I sure would like to try that rod. Thanks for all the help bro

vanillagurilla
12-28-2009, 09:07 AM
no problem, i just went through this whole "what to buy" thing. lol.

AngryAgent
12-28-2009, 09:38 AM
no problem, i just went through this whole "what to buy" thing. lol.

You don't know how to fish:Envious:

Just bustin balls

Wad up mang?!

Holla..

bsp
12-28-2009, 10:32 AM
VG got it dead on. You're looking at either G. Loomis or Phenix for the high end mini jigging rods. I've used them both and went with Phenix because you could actually jig with them. There was a guy at LNL last year who had a GLX Loomis trout rod and their supposed Mini Jig rod, and both of them were awful. The GLX rod was so stiff you couldn't load it up very well with a 1/32oz jig to cast, and once you cast out you couldn't finesse the jig. Hooked one trout and ripped the jig from its mouth because of how stiff the rod was. The Mini Jig rod was a noodle. No hooksetting power at all. Phenix got it right, and you can jig really well with the rods. Very sensitive too.

7'6" is a good starting length for mini jigging (cheaper too), but if you can afford it 8' or 8'6" is the way to go like VG said. Better casting distance and better action for the jig. Shimano 1000 size reels are the best because the spool design makes it so your line doesn't become like a slinky and cast farther. Smaller spools get a lot more tangles and windknots. Symetres, Saharas, and Sedonas are all good.

You could probably get a good price for your Kencor. A lot of guys on here like them, and since Kencor went out of business people should want to buy it since it's discontinued. Hope you find the rod you want.

billy b
12-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Most of what I use are GLooms but I'm willing to try that 862-2 especially since the GLoom is only 7.5 at best. I would probably have to get it on line ... any suggestions where?

Is there anything better I should look at?

billy b
12-29-2009, 11:43 AM
8'6" ... or 9'0 ... and which type of handle ...?

http://www.histackleboxshop.com/Phenix-Trout-Fishing-Rod-FX862-2-p/phenix-fx862-2.htm

http://www.histackleboxshop.com/Phenix-Trout-Fishing-Rod-FX902-2-p/phenix-fx902-2.htm

vanillagurilla
12-29-2009, 03:47 PM
well if your a loomis guy you will probly like the 862 better as it is a more of a fast taper than the 9 footer. as for handles.... i got one with a reel seat because i dont like to tape my reels on but if you want light weight go with the tennesse handle.

formosa
12-29-2009, 04:33 PM
i had one 902-2 custom wrapped this year, like to have that extra 1/2 ft for the distance from the shore. this year been caught tons of crappies, gills and a 22"wiper. very satisfy
phenix product.

AngryAgent
12-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Same old boring bs...

Check out for your price range and great quality rods blanks...

American Tackle

Rain Shadow

St Croix SCIII (this is on the higher end of the spectrum money wise)

Some common myths about longer rods is more casting distance. At a 7.5 rod you peak at casting distance for a 1/32nds jig. You gain a very minimal amount of distance (and I do mean minimal) when you move up to 8 and beyond. 7 foot rods are the standard.

Also I seen above that someone else wrote about the GLX being a horrible rod for jigging 1/32nds jigs and that could be true with the wrong model but not with the right one. There is a GLX model that hasn't been available for some time now that anyone who fishes for trout and loves to jig would gladly give up any of their rods to get one.

My favorite rod out of the rods that I own (and I own quite a few just for jigging and have had many more that are now gone) is my Sage. It is a fast action super light touchy feely rod that slays everywhere I go. It is the one pictured in the middle. It is 7'6" and the lightest rod in my line up. It is a fly blank that is wrapped for spinning. THe blank itself is not available anymore unfortunately. The sensitivity is unbelievable and it loads up beautifully throwing any jigs.

I recommend in the future depending on how serious you want to get, getting your rod wrapped and using titanium guides for 2 reasons. #1-they are up to 66% lighter then any other guides. #2-they don't rust or corrode. I try and keep everything as light as possible because when you are casting 3 million times a day fatigue is a factor. I don't like conventional reel seats for my trout rods, once again trying to keep it as light as possible.

These are all just my opinions and not gospel by any means but don't get caught up in the hype machine that is Loomis/Phoenix. There are plenty of awesome rods out there that will fit the bill and perform every bit as good and even better in a lot of cases. Price does play a major role though in what you end up with as far as quality so be prepared for that. Like I said check out some of the other guys stuff too.

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr90/angryagent1005/IMG_0223.jpg

vanillagurilla
12-29-2009, 05:18 PM
that sage with the stella is rediculously light. to light for me, i felt like i was going to break it just holding it. lol.

jumpman
01-11-2010, 05:30 PM
My wife is killing me that i have been spending to much on my tackle. Someone at the derby in yucaipa let me know turners has some replics rods that are 49 dollars. Does anyone know what he is talking about? if not can you tell me some good priced tackle to make a set up for this jigging? i know i need a 1000 reel too as well as 2lb test i beleive.

Trout 1
01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
My wife is killing me that i have been spending to much on my tackle. Someone at the derby in yucaipa let me know turners has some replics rods that are 49 dollars. Does anyone know what he is talking about? if not can you tell me some good priced tackle to make a set up for this jigging? i know i need a 1000 reel too as well as 2lb test i beleive.

PM me I got some ideas for you.

Trout 1

jmp_fishinn
01-11-2010, 10:18 PM

i just use a Bass pro micro lite 7'6 rod...does the job for me.
and its only $20

just my 2cents:Big Grin:

Trout 1
01-11-2010, 10:30 PM
i just use a Bass pro micro lite 7'6 rod...does the job for me.
and its only $20

just my 2cents:Big Grin:

Thats the yellow one right?? I have the brown one little bit more money but it has more backbone its not as wipppy.

Trout 1

jumpman
01-11-2010, 10:30 PM
for that price i will buy two, how is its casting? what size reel? i am going to take a look at them.

Ultralight
01-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Coming to this thread late. My preference is UL that is fast action for the sensitivity. And with the great drags that you can get on many reels today, fast action is not a problem with 2 lbs test. Since you are jigging, I think sensitivity matters to feel the bite/strike.

If you are going to the SARL Team 57 even next Wed, I'll show you two of mine that I'm wrapping up now. I believe they are the lightest rod of their type bar none. Since weight is one of the killers of sensitivity, they are also possibly the most sensitive rod anywhere of this power rating. They should also cast as far or further than any other 7' jig rods. At least that's the goal. My design approach is very different from the fly rod blanks - but then end goal is the same.

Sensitivity is a funny thing - there's no universal agreement on sensitivity. It seems that when you get a new rod of a substantially different design, you sometimes have to relearn what a bite feels like. Then there are others who are great line watchers and see the line move before they feel the strike. Yet others look for tips before they can detect a strike. I digress.

As to Kencor, it makes sense that they are less sensitive as they are significantly heavier, and slower in action. However, a buddy of mine that I really respect as jig fisherman who may has a huge collection of jigging rods note that he is able to impart a particular kind of action jigs that he can't quite reproduce on a graphite rods. Somedays, trout will bit primarily on a Kencor for him. Other days on a graphite. So he uses both fiberglass and graphite depending on what is triggering strikes. Similar in idea to someone who golfs and have various clubs for different purposes. It sure is impressive to flex a Kencor tip into a circle and not break.

UL

bsp
01-12-2010, 06:53 AM
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=41635&page=2

It's can bend in a full circle, but is very light, the blank is insanely thin, and it's still sensitive (no fiberglass!). UL, I recommend you check these out when they become available.

jmp_fishinn
01-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Thats the yellow one right?? I have the brown one little bit more money but it has more backbone its not as wipppy.

Trout 1

yep! i also have the brown one too, but i use the yellow one
the most for my jigging. :Big Grin: