PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Lagoon 12/27

Fire Ball
12-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Today was slow for largemouth, just like it has been for a few weeks at the Lagoon. Robo Bass and I arrived at around 7:45 after stopping by Castaic Tackle (small store, but has good stuff) to pick up a couple things. We went to a couple different spots for nothing and then finally went to our secret crappie spot. Robo Bass caught 2 crappie there fairly early in the day and one was huge. I still hadn't caught anything and I thought I was going to get skunked for the first time in a while! We fished in some different areas for largemouth, but I still hadn't caught a fish. Finally we went back to the secret crappie spot and I caught a good size crappie. A couple minutes later I caught a small crappie that fought as much as the bigger one, because it was hook on its side! Haha! Then after a few more minutes, Robo Bass hooked into a MONSTER fish. It was going crazy and making long runs. He would reel it up some and then it would make a hard run back to the bottom. His drag was burning the whole time! Then it made another powerful run and Robo Bass put his cranking hand on the rod to get some extra leverage to keep the fish from pulling his rod in the water, but he accidentally grabbed the line along with the rod! This made it so that it wasn't letting any more line out while the fish was making a run and the line snapped! It was terrible after seeing how much the fish was fighting. It must have been huge, but we aren't sure what kind of fish it was. The water was around 50 degrees today and the air temperature was even lower, so we were cold most of the day. We ended up staying until closing once again. I can't wait for the largemouth bite to pick up!

My first crappie of the day. Pretty nice size and fun to catch.
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3103/crappie2.jpg

I didn't take a picture of my second crappie because it was pretty small.

Robo Bass's nice 2 lb crappie.
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/1889/codycrappie1.jpg

Robo Bass's smaller crappie.
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2314/codycrappie2.jpg

Robo Bass
12-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Ya the pic doesn't show his obesity :LOL:

crappiemike
12-27-2009, 09:07 PM
thnx for your report and pics....good job out there..

cm

formosa
12-27-2009, 09:27 PM
nice to see a late season crappies. thanks for report and pics.

FISHBAIT
12-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Sweet catch! I have to start tubing looks like alot of fun.

Robo Bass
12-28-2009, 08:22 AM
nice to see a late season crappies. thanks for report and pics.

Ya they don't seem to mind the cold as much as LMB, they were still hitting and fighting as aggressive as they normally do.

Fire Ball
12-28-2009, 12:22 PM
I just realized that the bigger crappie that I caught yesterday was my PB. It was 1 inch longer than my previous PB crappie. They are so much fun to catch.

SDDave
12-28-2009, 03:49 PM
So much for your secret spot!!! ... lol

Fire Ball
12-28-2009, 03:52 PM
So much for your secret spot!!! ... lol

Lol. You can't tell the distance and that is key. If you are off even by a little bit, you won't catch anything! The angle doesn't give a good idea of the exact location either. All it gives away is the general location!

Harry
12-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Great pix. What kind of lure were you guys using? I've never caught crappie at castaic before. Congrats on the catch.

Fire Ball
12-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Great pix. What kind of lure were you guys using? I've never caught crappie at castaic before. Congrats on the catch.

I don't know how crappie fishing at the upper lake is, but the Lagoon has some nice crappie. I don't know if Robo Bass wants to tell people about the lure. He is the one that was using the lure and started catching crappie, so then I switched to the same thing!

Robo Bass
12-28-2009, 06:08 PM
I don't know how crappie fishing at the upper lake is, but the Lagoon has some nice crappie. I don't know if Robo Bass wants to tell people about the lure. He is the one that was using the lure and started catching crappie, so then I switched to the same thing!

If you want to know what we were using just PM us and we will let you know, just don't want to post it for all the lurkers.

Bassnman Mike
12-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Nice Crappie Guys! Did ya fry them up? MMmmmmmmmm, tasty!

Robo Bass
12-29-2009, 09:54 AM

Nope, I didn't want to kill my PB and we didn't have enough for a good meal

Fire Ball
12-29-2009, 12:23 PM

We released them, but we might keep a couple next time. I need a good recipe.

Bassnman Mike
12-30-2009, 06:31 AM
First off the following recipe is not really "Healthy" because its fried but it sure is tasty so I indulge from time to time.

Ingrediants needed:
Canola Oil

Egg Wash: Egg, 1 tablespoon ofZesty Itialian Dressing, 1 teaspoon Kikoman Soy Sauce, 2-3 shakes of Green Tabassco Sauce

Coating: 1/2 cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs, 1/4 cup Corn Meal, 1/4 cup flour. Sprinkle to taste, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt and Pepper.

Of course if your cooking a mess of fillets increase the amounts

1. Heat Canola oil in frying pan over medium heat.

2. Take crappie fillets and dredge, lightly coat, them in flour.

3. Dip fillets in an egg wash

4. Coat with coating

Test if oil is hot by dropping a little bit of the coating into it. it should float and start to fry. Place fillets into oil and cook for about 5 minutes, flip and cook for about 5 minutes more. I'm not sure about the times because I cook by sight and sound. Basically you want the fillets to be a light golden brown. Remove from oil and let oil drain on metal rack or paper towels. Serve with your choice of tarter sauce or lemon or nothing at all,the choice is yours.

Enjoy!.......................Damn, now I want some crappie fillets.

Robo Bass
12-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the recipe :Big Grin: