PDA

View Full Version : Ventura Perching on Christmas Eve

gavin310
12-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Wingnut, congrats on your PB halibut! 40 inches is incredible! (It gets bigger with every congrats so I thought I'd keep adding to it...)

The bigger perch are showing up so I loaded up my lightweight trout gear with 4 lb. line and set off to go perchin'! I also took along my lures and casting rod since I know I can't stick to one species.

Left Santa Monica and headed up to Ventura where the perch get bigger, hoping for a 16 incher or bigger.

All fish were eaten raw immediately after catching. J/k... CPR.

First spot I got to was literally a nice sized perch or at least a bite on every cast, but out of 7 casts I lost 3 rigs. Very rocky area. First one was smaller, but the next one was a nicer size.

Little guy. Probably like 7 inches.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/gavin310/Ventura%20Christmas%20Eve/1.jpg

Gettin bigger... (My measuring tape is brand new so I couldn't get it flattened out.)
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/gavin310/Ventura%20Christmas%20Eve/2.jpg

Set off in search of the next spot. Looked out for sandy shores this time because I was low on hooks. Found a decent spot and got set up. This time when I setup my carolina rig I used lighter weights thinking I could control it in the waves successfully. I couldn't. It just wasn't enough weight to keep the line to where I could feel bites. Switched out the weight to a 3/4oz and first cast got caught a dink. Fished a while longer with no luck, so I headed further north to a spot I caught a 16 incher a few weeks ago.

Got to the new spot and casted out the sand worm for a bit. Got this guy...

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/gavin310/Ventura%20Christmas%20Eve/3.jpg

The perching slowed down so I figured I'd bust out the Cardiff with a Krocodile for some halibut. Second cast I got the biggest perch of the day. He slammed it about 6 feet from me. Probably about 11 1/2 inches if you flattened out the tape measure :)

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/gavin310/Ventura%20Christmas%20Eve/4.jpg

That was the last fish of the day. I fished my lure for a bit longer and then tried the sand worm again with no luck. Left about 30 minutes after the last fish.

Little tip... long shank worm hooks are great for perch. Perch tend to swallow the hooks and it's much easier to remove the long shanked hooks.

Also just gotta say, props to the surf fisherman on here who document their trips so well (Wingnut, fishshep, etc.) It's not east to pull out your camera, tape measure, grip, etc. while keeping your reel off the sand and containing a flopping fish. It takes lots of effort. Well done guys.

Wingnut
12-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Gavin, by this time next week, my Halibut will be a 56 incher! :ROFL:
Great job on all the nice Pigs you caught... gotta love those Perch!
We will see more and more bigger ones coming in the next few months.

Please release all the big preggo females everybody. Poseidon will reward you! :Big Grin:

Excellent reporting Gavin and continued success to you in the New Year. :Cool:

BTW - You're right about handling the camera, measuring tape, Boga Grip... But when it comes to my equipment, I usually get so excited, the rod & reel is always the first thing to get tossed in the sand. :LOL: :Big Smile:

murrieta angler
12-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Good job getting your target fish. I think I will be targeting them this week when I get my new baitcaster ( Cant' Wait!! )
Good Luck on your future outings and have a Safe & Happy New Years.

NooB SaBass
12-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Sick Perch! down here they little skimpy but I did manage a PB around the same size as ur biggest of the day hahaha Awsome job...
I'm buying a new rod to LC throw you guys are making it look way 2 fun..
PS I thought Wingnuts Hali was 42''? remember some-1 said the tape was short
:ROFL:

gavin310
12-28-2009, 01:07 PM
PS I thought Wingnuts Hali was 42''? remember some-1 said the tape was short
:ROFL:

Ya know, you're right! So it was 44"? :ROFL:

flyngby
12-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Nice job on the quality pigs! If we went by size vs. number at the Hunting Giants Event you would have for sure been Top Dog!!!!!

Ya know, you're right! So it was 44"? :ROFL:

Guys! Are we talking about Wingnuts Height or length of the nice Halibut!!:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Steve

gavin310
12-29-2009, 11:40 PM
nice job on the quality pigs! If we went by size vs. Number at the hunting giants event you would have for sure been top dog!!!!!

Guys! Are we talking about wingnuts height or length of the nice halibut!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Steve

Hahahaha! Thanks Steve, I wasn't even aware of that event until right before when it was too late. Next year I'm in!

smokehound
12-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Man the fatties are coming in to play.

this time of year, the massive perch arrive.

exfactor
12-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Ya gots to start wearing a hat Arthur, so you can put your reel in it when you lay it down in the sand. I hate sand in my reel!