PDA

View Full Version : It's 3:09 in the morning....

murrieta angler
12-26-2009, 06:51 PM
I awake to an owl on my roof and he is "HOOTIN AWAY".
I was just having a dream when I was younger, 3 friends and myself take our bikes and poles down to Pudding Stone for some fishing at the run off creek and then I'm trying to catch some crawdads for bait but am only finding newts.....

Well, now I'm wide awake and I have to go fishing after reading Arthurs report and his 38" halibut on Christmas....:EyePop:
I throw my waders, rod/reel, small pack, with some essentials, into the truck and I'm out the door at 4:00.
I know it's early but I would rather kill time down at the beach, relaxing waiting for gray light to come, which is 6:25 this morning.
When I leave the house it is 32 degrees by the time I get to my destination it is only 42 degrees and it's supposed to be a high of 60 degrees today. The tide chart says it's gonna be high tide at 4:52, with a postive 4 and waves up to 4 feet. YEAH RIGHT!!
I'm at a new spot today and it looks real fishy, small waves, small bit of salad but sets only every 15 seconds. I am gonna get some good looks down in the water today.
As I walk down to the beach there are 2 guys there already and they are both rigged up for perch. I talk with one of them, Paul, and he gives me the lowdown on his home turf. I thank him for the info and proceed a little further down the beach and start casting.
15 minutes into my cast I get hooked up with this little fellow;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/torreypines2.jpg

Well skunk off, now I can relax and try to get me a Hali for the day. After 45 minutes I look behind me and Paul is there just watching me and ask how it's going? I tell him I've brought one perch to the shore and am now looking for a hali. He tells me to try another spot down the beach and then proceeds to walk away.....HOLD UP PAUL! I get this little girl just as he is walking away;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/torreypines1.jpg

He comes back over, takes a look and says he has never seen any hali at this end of the beach...:Big Grin: Well you just did Paul...:LOL:
I fish and walk for another hour and manage to get one more perch;

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/gudgersfishing/torreypines.jpg

That is my last fish for the morning. The waves are getting to be 7-8 feet, so much for 4 footers, and is crashing pretty hard at the shore. So I leave by 10:00 and am home back in town by 11:15.
On my way home I decide that I am gonna order my new baitcaster for my Christmas present to myself. You'll have to wait and see what it is...:Secret:

Thanks for reading and I hope everyone has a Safe and Happy New Years!!

Murrieta Angler ( Robert )

Ifishtoolittle
12-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Nice job on the Hali and perches Robert!

bsp
12-26-2009, 07:25 PM
A nice little winter mix. Perch+flattie is always a good day on the sand no matter the season. It's always funny to see how fish hook themselves when they miss and the LC doesn't have end up in their mouth. It makes you wonder what happened when they attacked. :LOL:

As for that baitcaster... is it a low profile or round reel?

flyngby
12-26-2009, 07:42 PM
I have a lot of those 3:09 am moments and then have to go to work!

Nice day in the surf!

Doctors are going to make big $$$$$ treating "WINGNUT INSOMNIA":ROFL::ROFL:

Steve

Wingnut
12-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Robert, funny dream... I had one similar to that but it was San Dimas Canyon when it had water in it. :LOL:

Congrats on the nice Perch and Flattie, that's a very productive day.
I'm glad you got the chance to get out there before the really big sets come rolling in. :Wink: Fun report to read, thanks. :Cool:

BTW - The Hali I caught yesterday was only 36"... but I like your measurement better. :Envious:

Have a great New Year!

victor101
12-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Nice report Robert... now im thinking of hitting the surf tomorrow morning...

murrieta angler
12-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Nice job on the Hali and perches Robert!

Thanks, the perches were bonus fish..:Smile: I'm gonna target them this week when I get my new baitcaster...:Big Grin:

murrieta angler
12-27-2009, 10:53 AM
A nice little winter mix. Perch+flattie is always a good day on the sand no matter the season. It's always funny to see how fish hook themselves when they miss and the LC doesn't have end up in their mouth. It makes you wonder what happened when they attacked. :LOL:

As for that baitcaster... is it a low profile or round reel?

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the perch with the teble hook stuck in it's eye and then the hook stuck behind the hali's fin.
The baitcaster is a low profile and I am "SUPER ANXIOUS" to get it..:Big Grin:

murrieta angler
12-27-2009, 10:57 AM
I have a lot of those 3:09 am moments and then have to go to work!

Nice day in the surf!

Doctors are going to make big $$$$$ treating "WINGNUT INSOMNIA":ROFL::ROFL:

Steve

Wingmut Insomnia is an understatement!
Fishings all I've been thinking about that last few weeks since I'm slowing down at work and have more time to hit the different beaches.
I will be hitting your guy's neck of the woods real soon here...:Wink:

Thanks for the read. Hope you have a Safe & Happy New Years.

NooB SaBass
12-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Nice mix-up bro, Not a bad morning at all! 3 fish and 1 is a Hali thats something 2 cheer about.. I gotta get out there with you sometime! :Twisted:

murrieta angler
12-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Robert, funny dream... I had one similar to that but it was San Dimas Canyon when it had water in it. :LOL:

Congrats on the nice Perch and Flattie, that's a very productive day.
I'm glad you got the chance to get out there before the really big sets come rolling in. :Wink: Fun report to read, thanks. :Cool:

BTW - The Hali I caught yesterday was only 36"... but I like your measurement better. :Envious:

Have a great New Year!

We're fisherman!! Dont' the fish get bigger as time goes on!? :ROFL::ROFL:

Take Care.

Fishbones
12-27-2009, 11:00 AM
nice job on the butt and perch....sounds like we should get a FNN surf trip together........fishbones

fish_sauce
12-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Robert,

Thanks for the post! I sometimes question my own sanity when i wake up that early ON MY DAY OFF do drive from the IE to the beach for some surf fishing. It takes a lot of dedication and love for the sport. Keep it up!

Andrew.

By the way, just a disclaimer...reading Wingnut report tends to have that effect on people...haha...we just feel completly compelled to hit the water!

NooB SaBass
12-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Robert,

Thanks for the post! I sometimes question my own sanity when i wake up that early ON MY DAY OFF do drive from the IE to the beach for some surf fishing. It takes a lot of dedication and love for the sport. Keep it up!

Andrew.

By the way, just a disclaimer...reading Wingnut report tends to have that effect on people...haha...we just feel completly compelled to hit the water!

si... I wanna go now lol...

Wingnut
12-27-2009, 06:31 PM
By the way... real men use round reels! :ROFL: JK... :Wink:

murrieta angler
12-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Nice report Robert... now im thinking of hitting the surf tomorrow morning...

Are you in town Victor? If so pm me and lets hit the surf bro!

murrieta angler
12-27-2009, 08:53 PM
nice job on the butt and perch....sounds like we should get a FNN surf trip together........fishbones

Let me know the time and place...:Cool:

murrieta angler
12-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Robert,

Andrew.

I agree completely about both of the above mentioned.
What city do you live in Andrew?

old pudd fisher
12-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Cool dream you had about the pudd. I would ride my bike their all the time when I was a kid.

murrieta angler
12-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Cool dream you had about the pudd. I would ride my bike their all the time when I was a kid.

Yeah,
We would ride from San Berdo Rd & Barranca. But it was always worth it! I only lived there for 2 1/2 years but met my best friend, Alan, there.
To this day we still get together and go golfing, fishing, ball games, you name it we do it...:Smile: