PDA

View Full Version : Home Surf!

NooB SaBass
12-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Ello again Beach assault Pvt Noob Sabass reporting in for duty with yet another fishing update, this time I did my first Recon! whoooo the conditions were good early morning and progressivly got worse as lowtide decended >.<

SURF GEAR:
-7.5 Shakespeare Microspin Carbon rod, Micro F2 reel
-6lb unkown test (whatever they laced it with)/8lb "moss green" Pline CXX w/Vanish! 6lb fluro leaders
-1 tray filled with 1/2 ounce sliders, a 1 ounce slider,SPRO swivels,8mm Glass beads,2 spoons, and 2 pre set up hooks 2 feet and 4 feet.
-Green and dark green redtailed grubs
-Blue and green Blackflaked grubs
-Clear Redflaked grubs
-MORF grubs
-Gulp! 2" Camo sandworms
-4.5' MORF colored worms w/spin tails (originally bass gear)
-V.2 LC Sardine runner
-Backpack
-Fishing vest
-Shorts again ^^(working on getting waders lol)

PREY
-Barred Surf Perch (4) 11"!,10",7",5"

Sooooo after working X-mas night I decided I was going fishing for the day after. I had time to kill didnt have to be anywhere till 2pm. So around 6:25am I was geared up and out the door heading to local turf. Arrived 2 around 8am and started throwing a 2" GULP! camo worm, worked that untill watchout! twitch, twich pull!
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=406&pictureid=3191
Whooo skunk off yet again early, good day. The temp was around 48F and im freezing casting in shorts but the water feels around 60F... wierd... anyways Im throwing and throwing decide to switch to Clear Red flake grub after no bites...Throw that untill around 8:50am grrr what do they want? hmmm I know! MORF worm tail! tadaaaahhhhhh 9:00am... man this spots dead I'm....
"tap Tap! TUG!! RUN!!!" whooo fish on! and holy hell its my PB on a BSP!
11" of little compact furry :Twisted:
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=406&pictureid=3192

so now Im psyched up got a PB and only been here a hour! whoooooo
I play around a bit more swing and a miss in the same spot and lose 2 tails... the bite dies an I nomad on...I decide to try my luck with Hali's and make this trip epic so I bust out moby dick and start the tossin'... by 11am I got nuttin but the lure looks awsome cutting water, idk maybe just not right conditions?/area? So by 11:10am Im back on perch hunt and 11:14am rewards me with what I thought might be the real PB of the day nice little fight. Come to find out, close but no cigar sweetheart....
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=406&pictureid=3193

So the bite decreases as the Surf picks up hard but I didn't let it get me down... I had a "tap tap tap" and .... hmmmmmm I lose em? dang think I missed em...reeled in to find....:ROFL:
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=406&pictureid=3194

hahaha go home little dude....
Bite was slow so I decided to keep long twards the Pier... I nomad to the pier take a short break to chat with some stick soakers and see whats the word... oh they fish the Harbor and jetty with black crabs eh? hmmmm catch bass and some other larger prey eh? hmmm next trip? Def!!! "oh but ull need a fishing liscense..." (NP old man 2010 alrdy in the holder ^.-)
I make my way back to the beach and decide to make my 4 mile treck back down to base, along the way about 1.8miles in I run into a fellow FNer! dude has a epic 10 foot rod throwing the 2" Camo... I told em MORF is where its at right now and he slides me few of the real Big Hammer kind! whooo thx mate,he even gives me a 1 ounce since I was tossing 1/2 and I saw Perch jumping right outside my reach...I toss and SNAP!... well there goes my rig, so I decided enough of this kitty yarn, and spool up my good stuff, ahhh now thats the stuff hostess.... with new thread burning I decide to rig up the 1 ouncer and toss some more, we fished a bit then parted ways after 3 miss's for me and I paced twards home base...rrived @ 2pm all in all a good day, got my PB BSP and met a new friend ^^ Hope ya read this bro see ya in the surf!
:Guns:

exfactor
12-26-2009, 05:09 PM
man, you got some big feet!

NooB SaBass
12-26-2009, 05:19 PM
man, you got some big feet!
dem be 12" mwhahaha makes a killer ruler lol

cjmedina
12-26-2009, 06:00 PM
where you out at carlsbad again? i went today as well caught 3 perch on mac chunks, and got a skate. are you going out tomorrow we should hook up? pm me let me know

murrieta angler
12-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Excellent job Noob. You will get that hali sure enough. I'm gonna PM you and give you my number. I went out today also. Had a decent day. Look for my report.
Take it easy, Robert

NooB SaBass
12-26-2009, 06:45 PM
where you out at carlsbad again? i went today as well caught 3 perch on mac chunks, and got a skate. are you going out tomorrow we should hook up? pm me let me know

Yes and No, PM sent... I think it was actually considered Oceanside but I was like a mile from the north shore of the Factory alllll the way 2 ocean side pier, so thats almost Jetty to jetty! lol I had no luck in the S.Jetty last time... or near it :Crying:

Excellent job Noob. You will get that hali sure enough. I'm gonna PM you and give you my number. I went out today also. Had a decent day. Look for my report.
Take it easy, Robert

Thx! Im working at it trust me I am lol, really were did you head out? can't wait for the report bro i know ur "decent" prob means u slayed lol :EyePop:

bsp
12-26-2009, 07:17 PM
SD County has some good beaches for flatties... you might want to change the location up if you're catching mostly perch. You obviously can catch halibut from beaches that have perch, but the better halibut spots tend to have much more halibut and a lot less perch. Focus on just tossing the LC too, it will raise your chances of nailing a flattie if you dedicate yourself to that instead of tossing the MORF grubs and Gulp! too. Monster perch (like the 13in-15in dinnerplates) will readily hit an LC, so it's not like you'll be missing out on the perch by focusing on it.

3in big hammer or pearl swimbaits on 1/4oz leadheads and dropshotting might be more your deal too if you feel like building confidence in your flattie catching skills. Just keep in mind that halibut gravitate towards areas with low to no waves, and like a little bit of structure to ambush their prey from and you're good to go. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Definitely not a surf master like some of the other guys on here, but as long as you don't ask me where you can catc YT/striper from the surf consistently I can probably point you in the direction.

If you find the answer to that question, please let me know though. I'd love to be able to pull on some YT or Striper from the beach. :LOL:

flyngby
12-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Excellent work Pvt. Noob!!!!!!!

Look forward to the next report.

Steve

Wingnut
12-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Private NooB SaBass, well done soldier... that was a very entertaining report. You better get yourself some waders before your suffer from some serious shrinkage issues. :LOL: :ROFL:

I love catching Perch, that was my first love. A BSP was the first fish I ever caught in the surf and got me hooked from that moment. Even though I don't target them nowadays, I still enjoy catching them from time to time while tossing the LC. :Wink:

Shoot me a PM, I'll give ya some spots down South that will improve your chance of getting your first surf Hali. :Cool:

Keep up the good work!

NooB SaBass
12-27-2009, 10:10 AM
SD County has some good beaches for flatties... you might want to change the location up if you're catching mostly perch. You obviously can catch halibut from beaches that have perch, but the better halibut spots tend to have much more halibut and a lot less perch. Focus on just tossing the LC too, it will raise your chances of nailing a flattie if you dedicate yourself to that instead of tossing the MORF grubs and Gulp! too. Monster perch (like the 13in-15in dinnerplates) will readily hit an LC, so it's not like you'll be missing out on the perch by focusing on it.

3in big hammer or pearl swimbaits on 1/4oz leadheads and dropshotting might be more your deal too if you feel like building confidence in your flattie catching skills. Just keep in mind that halibut gravitate towards areas with low to no waves, and like a little bit of structure to ambush their prey from and you're good to go. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Definitely not a surf master like some of the other guys on here, but as long as you don't ask me where you can catc YT/striper from the surf consistently I can probably point you in the direction.

If you find the answer to that question, please let me know though. I'd love to be able to pull on some YT or Striper from the beach. :LOL:

What color swimbaits? I think I need a new rod for casting LC's my other rod is to stiff and dousnt cast cranks very well I'll start saving for another rod thats better equiped for the job. I could cast dropshotted swimbait though with it... ^^ what tactic do you use for that? just a slow steady retreat? do you set it up like bass fishing? or buy a leadhead and attatch the swimbait? I have been looking for sme southern spots with calm waves... no dice lol...

Excellent work Pvt. Noob!!!!!!!

Look forward to the next report.

Steve

Gracias! ^^ next time hopefully will be my 1st Hali!

Private NooB SaBass, well done soldier... that was a very entertaining report. You better get yourself some waders before your suffer from some serious shrinkage issues. :LOL: :ROFL:

I love catching Perch, that was my first love. A BSP was the first fish I ever caught in the surf and got me hooked from that moment. Even though I don't target them nowadays, I still enjoy catching them from time to time while tossing the LC. :Wink:

Shoot me a PM, I'll give ya some spots down South that will improve your chance of getting your first surf Hali. :Cool:

Keep up the good work!

PM sent, and I'm saving for waders now lol....