PDA

View Full Version : No fishing licenses at Castaic

basscat
12-26-2009, 01:48 PM
I was planning to take some out of town guests tomorrow morning, who are thawing out in our "warm weather", who just came from sub zero cities. I'm bringing another friend, who will bring his 3-4 rods to match mine 4 outfits, two for bait fishing and two for lures tossing.

I know they can't even touch a rod and reel, but just to watch? Tempting as it may be, they know than to try to break the law and risk getting a ticket. My buddy and I will just have one outfit in the water.

My question is if they don't fish and plan to truly just watch and walk the dogs, do they still need to have a 1 day fishing licenses?

EDIT: opps, sorry, should be in the General Message section, mods, can move over there

ghetto dad
12-26-2009, 01:53 PM
im no help bro....lol..the only thing i know is when youre on a sportboat, fishing or not, you have to have a license....my best guess would be if they are with you and you are fishing, I would recommend them having a license...since they are near the water with someone fishing....

like i said..im sure someone on here will know for sure..i tried..lol...take care

GD

basscat
12-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Okay, sorry, I meant to say we're shoreline fishing, not on a rental boat.

bsp
12-26-2009, 02:08 PM
How many rods are you guys going to have? You said you and you're buddy will have like 7-8 rods total, so even if your other friends aren't fishing and the extra rods will be on the ground it would look like your friends were to a game warden since you should only have 4 rods max in the water for 2 guys.

If you and your friend only brought 4 rods total then I'd say it wouldn't be an issue because they're covered by the two 2nd rod stamps, but if you have 8 rods total it will look kind of sketchy to a game warden. It's not illegal, but the game warden is going to be wondering why 2 guys with licenses have 8 rods, and then if he sees other guys without licenses in your group he'll probably think something's up.

Basically, I'd bring 4 rods if the other guys weren't fishing, but buy them their own one day licenses if you want to bring 8 rods. Personally, I would buy the one day licenses and take them fishing. Way more fun than just walking around and walking the dog IMO.

superbigfish
12-26-2009, 02:13 PM
dont worry. dfg usually aren't at castaic. i've fished there for years and have never bought a fishing license

ghetto dad
12-26-2009, 02:25 PM
How many rods are you guys going to have? You said you and you're buddy will have like 7-8 rods total, so even if your other friends aren't fishing and the extra rods will be on the ground it would look like your friends were to a game warden since you should only have 4 rods max in the water for 2 guys.

If you and your friend only brought 4 rods total then I'd say it wouldn't be an issue because they're covered by the two 2nd rod stamps, but if you have 8 rods total it will look kind of sketchy to a game warden. It's not illegal, but the game warden is going to be wondering why 2 guys with licenses have 8 rods, and then if he sees other guys without licenses in your group he'll probably think something's up.

Basically, I'd bring 4 rods if the other guys weren't fishing, but buy them their own one day licenses if you want to bring 8 rods. Personally, I would buy the one day licenses and take them fishing. Way more fun than just walking around and walking the dog IMO.

well said....perfect....but just in case...make sure YOU have a 2nd rod stamp for you and your licensed friend....if you are going to fish 2 rods each.....

i wouldnt risk it and worrying about it man...just get them each a one day license....would hate for them to get ticketed cuz the warden wanted to be a jerk.....

GD

BakoBassin
12-26-2009, 03:18 PM
dont worry. Dfg usually aren't at castaic. I've fished there for years and have never bought a fishing license

#1 answer!!!

fishfinder
12-26-2009, 04:00 PM
As long as they are not carrying the rods you are okay.

bayfisher86
12-26-2009, 04:17 PM
""dont worry. dfg usually aren't at castaic. i've fished there for years and have never bought a fishing license ""

so you're saying just because they arent there its ok not to purchase a fishing license? wow thats classic, "it's only a crime if you get caught" thats a great mentality. you should teach your kids the same way of thinking.

TopwaterTony
12-26-2009, 04:27 PM
dont worry. dfg usually aren't at castaic. i've fished there for years and have never bought a fishing license

It already sounds like basscat DOESN'T want to break the law, nor do his friends. It's mentality like superbigfish to why our prisons are full. Of course not for fishing license violations, but you get my drift.

You do have enough rods for your friends to partake in the fun too. Just have them pick up a day pass at the marina and all of you can stick the stripeys. With that said, I would say stick to bsp's advice and good luck out there.

olfishergal
12-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Its my understanding the DFG reads these threads, so if you are going to castaic I would sure have a license since they will come and check now that someone says they always fish without one........Why would you fish without a license? I hate cheats........OFG

marzocchi
12-26-2009, 05:47 PM

DFG are occasionally at Castaic mid day. They are in the white jeep.

smokinflies
12-26-2009, 05:58 PM
I was planning to take some out of town guests tomorrow morning, who are thawing out in our "warm weather", who just came from sub zero cities. I'm bringing another friend, who will bring his 3-4 rods to match mine 4 outfits, two for bait fishing and two for lures tossing.

I know they can't even touch a rod and reel, but just to watch? Tempting as it may be, they know than to try to break the law and risk getting a ticket. My buddy and I will just have one outfit in the water.

My question is if they don't fish and plan to truly just watch and walk the dogs, do they still need to have a 1 day fishing licenses?

EDIT: opps, sorry, should be in the General Message section, mods, can move over there

That kind of sucks that you're taking your "out of town" guests to a lake, just to have them watch you and your buddy fish. Why don't you just pick them up some one day passes, and let them experience fishing "California style". :Cool:

Give them something to remember and a story to tell their friends back home. :Envious:

Just a thought.

Fire Ball
12-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Are you going to be at the upper lake or the Lagoon? I have never seen them at the Lagoon, but sometimes they are at the upper lake. Either way, if they aren't fishing, then they don't need a license. Just don't have too many rods in the water and you should be fine. DFG probably won't bother you unless you look suspicious, if they even show up, lol.

scvbasser
12-26-2009, 06:07 PM

dfg might not be there but the l.a. county police are ...and i know they do check for licecnse.matter of time b4 you get caught.is it worth the ticket?

basscat
12-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the come backs.....my fishing buddy and I are always licensed, in fact, I get next year's license just before the year ends.

My guests are not the fishing type and much older and have no real desire to pull on a fish, but to watch people do it is enough fun for them. At the same time, I don't want to have to spend the $13.40 per person for a day license if not required.

Yea, I can see whereby having 8 total outfits for 5-6 people might be suspect to a person who might have the authority to write up citations. But not sure, if there's only one rod each in the water from just my buddy and I. Plans are to fish in the upper lake, along the dam or by west ramps.

Anyways, yea, guys like superbigfish posting up, is not right at all to tell others to play with fire.

superbigfish
12-26-2009, 06:50 PM
DFG are occasionally at Castaic mid day. They are in the white jeep.

look out for the white jeep. if you see the jeep just cut your lines.

formosa
12-26-2009, 07:14 PM
look out for the white jeep. if you see the jeep just cut your lines.

how about the rod and reel in your hand? you shall toss that in the lake.so dfg can't ticket
you.

olfishergal
12-26-2009, 07:30 PM
If they really want to fish, take them to a pay lake, no worth getting caught by the dfg for anyreason......Those tickets are expensive for sure.

FISH ON
12-26-2009, 07:57 PM
dont worry. dfg usually aren't at castaic. i've fished there for years and have never bought a fishing licenseman thats lame. either buy a license like all the rest of us or at least change your screen name to POACHER

superbigfish
12-26-2009, 07:57 PM
how about the rod and reel in your hand? you shall toss that in the lake.so dfg can't ticket
you.

that gets a little tricky, never thought about that...thats why i always bring someone who is under 16 to fish beside me

formosa
12-26-2009, 08:10 PM
that gets a little tricky, never thought about that...thats why i always bring someone who is under 16 to fish beside me

very sorry for that under age kid, who ever fish with a p***er. shame on you.

superbigfish
12-26-2009, 08:17 PM
very sorry for that under age kid, who ever fish with a p***er. shame on you.

all jokes guys...why would anyone risk such a big fine and also knowing that dfg patrols this site lol always fun to see people blood boil...

gavin310
12-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Of course they can hang out with you and watch you fish. Bring 8 rods. Hell, bring 20. Who cares. If there are only 4 rods in the water and both of you are licensed and have a 2nd rod stamp, you have nothing to worry about. You're following the law and so are your friends. Unless he sees them fishing, of course. If you're telling the truth about your friends not fishing, then the DFG (who tend to spy on you first) won't have any reason to ticket you. Why some people are suggesting you buy them a 1 day pass "to be safe" is beyond me... We do have rights, ya know.

kaneo
12-27-2009, 07:26 AM
man thats lame. either buy a license like all the rest of us or at least change your screen name to POACHER
people like this guy, is the reason kids grow up thinking its ok to steal from others !! as long as you dont get caught its ok, is this your reasoning for not buying an annual license....i guess its also alright to steal from say wal-mart as long as you dont get caught...... ya changing you name to " THIEF " is also fitting for a chump like you.... i think this " no wear " fishing license is going to cause MUCH MORE POACHING and A BIG LOSS IN REVENUE TO THE DFG... which in the long run will mean less stocking, and more areas being closed.... now no one will know if the person fishing next to you is fishing legally or without a license.. what happened to people having morals and doing the right thing, and setting some GOOD examples for the younger generation...

FISH ON
12-27-2009, 09:37 AM
all jokes guys...why would anyone risk such a big fine and also knowing that dfg patrols this site lol always fun to see people blood boil.........get a life...........

FISH ON
12-27-2009, 09:49 AM
people like this guy, is the reason kids grow up thinking its ok to steal from others !! As long as you dont get caught its ok, is this your reasoning for not buying an annual license....i guess its also alright to steal from say wal-mart as long as you dont get caught...... Ya changing you name to " thief " is also fitting for a chump like you.... I think this " no wear " fishing license is going to cause much more poaching and a big loss in revenue to the dfg... Which in the long run will mean less stocking, and more areas being closed.... Now no one will know if the person fishing next to you is fishing legally or without a license.. What happened to people having morals and doing the right thing, and setting some good examples for the younger generation........+1.....

SoCalSteve
12-29-2009, 01:13 PM
You cannot be ticketed unless you do not have a license and are observed IN THE ACT of fishing.

A friend one day forgot his license at home...he fished anyways. DFG randomly approached, but he did not get a ticket because he was not fishing when they approached. They never saw him with a rod in hand or line in water....thus, no ticket. This was at Castaic and not long ago.

LICENSES AT CASTAIC ARE CHECKED. HAVE ONE.

basscat
12-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Update:

Just thought I'd report back to my own thread rather than start one on the fishing reports.

Yes, we did go down to Castaic, it was a bit windy, but we walked over by the West Ramp and found some nice stripers (the one camera my uncle took had worn out batteries). My buddy got 4 and I got 3.

Cut bait of sardine bellies was the ticket.

We had 6 people in tow, lol, was suppose to be only 4, but you know it goes when other family members wanted to tag along. Since they were not going to fish, they were warned to not touch a rod nor grab a reel, and they meant no one without a fishing license was to be in possession of an outfit, just in case, DFG was out there looking.

So it was all good and fresh fish tacos never tasted better with homemade salsa.