PDA

View Full Version : Best Baitcasting Rod and Reel - $100

Fire Ball
12-25-2009, 10:00 AM
What is the best baitcasting reel in the $100 range? I am probably going to go with a Citica or a Revo S. I'm also going to need a rod.

samgann93
12-25-2009, 11:37 AM
citica would be a good bet. ive heard great stuff about them. im a shimano guy over abu because of the customer service.

calico killer kevin
12-25-2009, 11:44 AM
I assume you want an "all-around" reel? If you can salvage $30 more, the Fuego on TW is beckoning. Best reel for the price on the market as of now. Then, next year when they clearance the Sol, you can have your Fire & Sun one-two punch.:Cool:

As for the rod, it's hard to beat the Abu Vendetta or the Daiwa Procyon.

Fire Ball
12-25-2009, 12:49 PM
citica would be a good bet. ive heard great stuff about them. im a shimano guy over abu because of the customer service.

It think it is between the Fuego and the Citica right now. Forget about the Revo, lol.

I assume you want an "all-around" reel? If you can salvage $30 more, the Fuego on TW is beckoning. Best reel for the price on the market as of now. Then, next year when they clearance the Sol, you can have your Fire & Sun one-two punch.:Cool:

As for the rod, it's hard to beat the Abu Vendetta or the Daiwa Procyon.

It is between the Fuego and the Citica. I understand the Fuego is $250 normally, but this is the last year they are making it. The Vendetta is awesome, but a little pricey. The Procyon looks nice though and not too expensive.

GeordyBass
12-25-2009, 01:40 PM
It think it is between the Fuego and the Citica right now. Forget about the Revo, lol.

It is between the Fuego and the Citica. I understand the Fuego is $250 normally, but this is the last year they are making it. The Vendetta is awesome, but a little pricey. The Procyon looks nice though and not too expensive.
lol that abu vendetta is about half the price of each of my Carrot Stix! Thats a deal man,,, You'll need about $200 for a decent rod and reel setup...or you'll need to look for some used ones and get a better deal bro.

Fire Ball
12-25-2009, 01:44 PM
lol that abu vendetta is about half the price of each of my Carrot Stix! Thats a deal man,,, You'll need about $200 for a decent rod and reel setup...or you'll need to look for some used ones and get a better deal bro.

I'm just looking for a reel around $100 and then the rod is separate from that price.

GeordyBass
12-25-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm just looking for a reel around $100 and then the rod is separate from that price.
you'll find a nice used Curado for a little less and you'll have a little more money to get a nice rod,,, check on ebay,,, you have the x-mas $40 dont ya? That'll get you a nice reel man,,,

Fire Ball
12-25-2009, 01:52 PM
you'll find a nice used Curado for a little less and you'll have a little more money to get a nice rod,,, check on ebay,,, you have the x-mas $40 dont ya? That'll get you a nice reel man,,,

I got $40 cash and $25 eBay giftcard. Expecting $50 Sport Chalet Giftcard tomorrow and maybe more money. A Curado 200e?

GeordyBass
12-25-2009, 02:21 PM
I got $40 cash and $25 eBay giftcard. Expecting $50 Sport Chalet Giftcard tomorrow and maybe more money. A Curado 200e?lol thats what I'm talkin bout hahahahaha,,,
That abu is a sick rod though! I'd get the 7'6" MH Fast taper,that is a sick rod, real fast tip and tons of power,,,:Envious:

DEADROOTS
12-25-2009, 02:26 PM
lol thats what I'm talkin bout hahahahaha,,,
That abu is a sick rod though! I'd get the 7'6" MH Fast taper,that is a sick rod, real fast tip and tons of power,,,:Envious:

And that's all she wrote!!

:ROFL:

Fire Ball
12-25-2009, 02:26 PM
lol thats what I'm talkin bout hahahahaha,,,

I'm thinking about 7' MH Fast taper. What I have now is only 6'6". I'm going to go with the Daiwa Procyon and Shimano Citica. I might look at the Daiwa Fuego some more. Isn't that more for lighter lures? Will it still work well for big jigs and stuff up to 1 oz?

calico killer kevin
12-25-2009, 04:23 PM
I'm thinking about 7' MH Fast taper. What I have now is only 6'6". I'm going to go with the Daiwa Procyon and Shimano Citica. I might look at the Daiwa Fuego some more. Isn't that more for lighter lures? Will it still work well for big jigs and stuff up to 1 oz?
The Fuego is by no means a finesse reel. It's got lots of muscle and quite a bit of line capacity.

The Fuego is miles ahead of the Citica. Check some classifieds. Lots of great deals to be had.

Fire Ball
12-25-2009, 04:40 PM
The Fuego is by no means a finesse reel. It's got lots of muscle and quite a bit of line capacity.

The Fuego is miles ahead of the Citica. Check some classifieds. Lots of great deals to be had.

Some sites are saying 120 yards of 12 lb and then some sites are saying 140 yards. I don't know what to believe! What do you suggest I spool this reel up with? I have 12 lb Yo Zuri on my current baitcaster and it has been pretty good.

Fuego vs Citica right now. I need to check them both out in a store before I decide.

GeordyBass
12-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Some sites are saying 120 yards of 12 lb and then some sites are saying 140 yards. I don't know what to believe! What do you suggest I spool this reel up with? I have 12 lb Yo Zuri on my current baitcaster and it has been pretty good.

Fuego vs Citica right now. I need to check them both out in a store before I decide.

Fuego!!!!!!!! lol A citica won't compare..... it's a different beast....

calico killer kevin
12-25-2009, 06:44 PM

It holds 120 of 12lb.

I cannot recommend line until I know what you intend to do with the reel.

Fire Ball
12-25-2009, 07:06 PM
It holds 120 of 12lb.

I cannot recommend line until I know what you intend to do with the reel.

General purposes. Jigs, crankbaits, spinner baits, texas rig, carolina rig, etc. It will be used for just about everything except for a few things that I use spinning reels for.

GeordyBass
12-25-2009, 07:24 PM
General purposes. Jigs, crankbaits, spinner baits, texas rig, carolina rig, etc. It will be used for just about everything except for a few things that I use spinning reels for.
10 or 12lb.

Fire Ball
12-25-2009, 07:27 PM
10 or 12lb.

Mono, fluoro, copoly, brand?

GeordyBass
12-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Mono, fluoro, copoly, brand?half mono half fluorocarbon
your preference kiddo.

Fire Ball
12-25-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm not sure if I'm going to get a new rod and reel anymore. I really need a fishfinder and won't be able to afford both.

Bigreeler
12-26-2009, 12:48 PM
If you really want to go balls out. Get the Fuego from TW for $130.00 you can change the drags to carbontex. Switch out the side plate and spool bearing to boca bearings abec 5 or 7 orangseals. You can replace the bushing in the worm gear to a bearing and if your really feeling froggy change the handle or go a lil cheap for the 4 bearing handle from daiwa for 40.00 which looks like the Fuego handle but has 4 bearings.

Fire Ball
12-26-2009, 05:56 PM
If you really want to go balls out. Get the Fuego from TW for $130.00 you can change the drags to carbontex. Switch out the side plate and spool bearing to boca bearings abec 5 or 7 orangseals. You can replace the bushing in the worm gear to a bearing and if your really feeling froggy change the handle or go a lil cheap for the 4 bearing handle from daiwa for 40.00 which looks like the Fuego handle but has 4 bearings.

I'm not going to upgrade anything, lol. I think I would mess it up, plus it would raise the cost. :LOL:

Bigreeler
12-26-2009, 11:16 PM
lol, well if you ever decided to upgrade that reel hit me up I could assist you so you dont mess it up. Well if you have the reel, upgrades can always come in time. They are truely worth it.

BassinChef
12-28-2009, 12:53 AM
I was in the same situation almost a year ago as far as budget and reel needs, i picked up a Quantum Code(7.1:1)..and a Citica at FHS for just under $200 bucks both reels have been great all around reels for me ,both can cast a mile and were paired up with Clarus rods but i have upgraded one to a Powell rod .Just from my experience both reels have been excellent for a beginner to intermediate angler.I am not an expert angler by any means but i don`t like to waste money on inferior products either. Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

BassinChef

MarkyMark
12-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Are those Fuegos good for beginner baitcasters like myself?

calico killer kevin
12-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Are those Fuegos good for beginner baitcasters like myself?
I feel that magforces are much easier for beginners becuase it is easily adjustable and more self-explanatory than centrifugals. So, the answer is yes.

calico killer kevin
12-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Lol...that's just a bit out of this price range haha

Fire Ball
12-28-2009, 12:11 PM
If I have enough money after buying a fishfinder for my float tube, then I will try to buy a nice combo. I don't need anything for beginners because I cast my current reel with little to no brakes, only spool tension. I might be stuck with keeping my current rod and reel until I get some more money.

Bigreeler
12-29-2009, 12:25 AM
CKK, come on bro your a SUPER TUNER kind of guy, thats why I said (Well if you have the reel, upgrades can always come in time. They are truely worth it.) haha you know they are.
HAHA, lol