PDA

View Full Version : How many rodbuilders on this forum?

Ultralight
12-25-2009, 12:28 AM
OK, roll call of sorts. Curious how many rodbuilders frequent this site? Perhaps you would respond here?

And whether you build as a pro - meaning for profit as a job whether part time or full time.

Or simply for fun whether yourself or friends, but not for profit.

Curious.
UL

samgann93
12-25-2009, 09:32 AM
im new at it but i do it for fun. i have only built two rods. im gonna start my third this next week. i mainly wrap saltwater stuff.

calico killer kevin has some pretty sweet bass rods if you check him out. check his post its like weapon of bass destruction. ill try to find it....

samgann93
12-25-2009, 09:40 AM
here ya go...

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=37635

murrieta angler
12-25-2009, 10:31 AM
I do not.
But if you are looking for someone I was browsing Orange County Craigslist and either the 22nd or 23rd of this month there is a guy in La Habra who does it.
Robert

calico killer kevin
12-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the promotion Sam.:LOL:

I'm more of a hobby builder. I've learned from lots of people from lots of different sites. I am more of a hardware guy as in winding checks, color coordination, reel seats, grips, etc than a fancy double reversing chevron fancy wrapping guy.

samgann93
12-25-2009, 11:35 AM
no problemo kevin.

im the same way. im not into fancy wraps. except i like the tigers and marbling. =]

calico killer kevin
12-25-2009, 11:47 AM
no problemo kevin.

im the same way. im not into fancy wraps. except i like the tigers and marbling. =]
Been working on Tigers and CKW's that I might just implement on my next few rods. Only problem is all the added weight.

I'm building a DS rod next which I plan on going all black or black and gold.

AngryAgent
12-25-2009, 07:12 PM
OK, roll call of sorts. Curious how many rodbuilders frequent this site? Perhaps you would respond here?

And whether you build as a pro - meaning for profit as a job whether part time or full time.

Or simply for fun whether yourself or friends, but not for profit.

Curious.
UL

What are you getting at? Just curious...:Envious:

Ultralight
12-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Merry Christmas everyone.

LOL, not getting at anything. Just curious how many on this forum build rods. Also, not actually looking for a rod builder. (Since I spent 2 years developing my own trout rod.) So, just wanted to see if there are other local rod builders. Possibly hooking up to talk shop some day etc.

UL

AngryAgent
12-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Merry Christmas everyone.

LOL, not getting at anything. Just curious how many on this forum build rods. Also, not actually looking for a rod builder. (Since I spent 2 years developing my own trout rod.) So, just wanted to see if there are other local rod builders. Possibly hooking up to talk shop some day etc.

UL

Were you the guy at Green Valley Lake that brought those rods with the taped on guides and were having a friend of mine test them out? Just wondering cuz it's a small world.

Bigreeler
12-25-2009, 10:15 PM
I do to build rods. I have built several hundreds of rods over the last 7 years. It started as fun and it went into a small business by word of mouth. I also had a booth at the Fred Hall Show a few years back. I have built rods for all applications. Now days I'm trying to keep at it for fun and what I mean by that is when you do it for $$$ it starts to take the fun out of it. Its really hard to make good $$$ at it. For some reason over the last few years I dont know if its the ecomony or guys are getting cheap but there expecting some pretty cheap pricing. As a custom rod builder I would think that the average joe would expect to pay at least more then the standard factory wrapped rods? But for some reason they think it will be cheaper? Also you get guys who want the cheapest componets and want black on black and that got old real quick. For the amount of time it takes to start and complete a rod THE RIGHT WAY its not a get rich quick deal by all means. So these days I have kinda got out of wrapping rods for $$$ unless the price is right.

Bigreeler

Frenchy
12-26-2009, 12:06 PM
ok i guess i can post it here im looking for a few rods to be custom built.

2 5 foot ultra light trout rods

1 swimbait rod 15-30lb 7foot 11

1 worm rod 6foot 6 inch medium 8-17 lb

1 crank rod 6foot 6 to 7 foot 6-12lb medium light rod

Let the pms rollin please if you can send photos of some of your work im serious

fish
12-27-2009, 07:48 AM
I am looking to get into rod building... does that count.

I appreciate all the info UL and calicokevin have given me. I just haven't had the time or money with school or Christmas. So after the new year I hope to get into it full swing.

I just was wondering where you guys order your components?? I have been looking on mudhole.com, but I have heard that they are pretty expensive.

calico killer kevin
12-27-2009, 12:26 PM
I am looking to get into rod building... does that count.

I appreciate all the info UL and calicokevin have given me. I just haven't had the time or money with school or Christmas. So after the new year I hope to get into it full swing.

I just was wondering where you guys order your components?? I have been looking on mudhole.com, but I have heard that they are pretty expensive.
My favorite place on the web is Acidrod.com otherwise known as C&M Custom Tackle in San Dimas. Great people, great service, lots of components, and the lowest shipping prices on the web.