PDA

View Full Version : Newport Pier 12/24/09

whittier_brian
12-24-2009, 06:21 PM
Well me and a friend went to Newport Pier to day got there at 11:30AM left at 4:00PM only cot one smelt for the day.

Natural Lefty
12-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Whittier Brian, I am glad you mentioned Newport Pier. M wife and I went there last Sunday afternoon, and I wanted to briefly mention how lousy it was then too. We had wanted to go to Balboa Pier for fishing and crabbing, but it was closed for some boat parade that we never saw. Dangit, Balboa at least has better fishing than Newport Pier.

Fishing, we caught nothing, and only saw a few small fish caught, mostly Lizardfish, and 1 baby Shark of some kind, but we weren't even that lucky. Crabbing, we only caught a couple of little baby Rock Crabs lowered back into the water with the net, and a swimming crab. We used to catch lots of crabs there, plus a few assorted fish, but the crab population there plummeted for some reason these past 2 years (water conditions I guess), and the fishing went from mediocre to lousy. I wouldn't recommend this place anytime soon.

I think the crabs are basically farther north, like Santa Barbara and northward, by the way.

murrieta angler
12-24-2009, 10:40 PM
One is better than none brother. At least you were out there fishing....:Smile:

Happy Holidays

Redkorn
12-25-2009, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=Natural Lefty;416956]Whittier Brian, I am glad you mentioned Newport Pier. M wife and I went there last Sunday afternoon, and I wanted to briefly mention how lousy it was then too. We had wanted to go to Balboa Pier for fishing and crabbing, but it was closed for some boat parade that we never saw. Dangit, Balboa at least has better fishing than Newport Pier.

Fishing, we caught nothing, and only saw a few small fish caught, mostly Lizardfish, and 1 baby Shark of some kind, but we weren't even that lucky. Crabbing, we only caught a couple of little baby Rock Crabs lowered back into the water with the net, and a swimming crab. We used to catch lots of crabs there, plus a few assorted fish, but the crab population there plummeted for some reason these past 2 years (water conditions I guess), and the fishing went from mediocre to lousy. I wouldn't recommend this place anytime soon.

I think the crabs are basically farther north, like Santa Barbara and northward, by the way.[/QUOT

Belmont pier has good sculpin right now at night...but theres lots a baby ones too....lots of bait fishing mack and daines....