PDA

View Full Version : Eve Morning Hali

TopwaterTony
12-24-2009, 02:20 PM
So it's been probably 10+ years since I went surf fishing and decided to play hooky this morning from work and soak some bait and throw some LCs, because hey, it's Christmas Eve. Anyhow I went down to Redondo Beach. Got posted on the water about 6:45. First location seemed okay, but there was no action so I moved to a second location (rock lined shore). There were 2 other guys fishing with squid but said they didn't have any bites. There was a lot of kelp here so I decide just to soak bait and not risk the LC, bait rod snagged on kelp and had to re-tie so decided I didn't like it there and moved to a third location which was back on sand. Current right there was kind of crappy and within 20 min I moved to one final location which turned out to be the spot for me. Chucked out the bait (anchovies) on my 10' surf rod, and started pounding the LC out wading waist deep with the other. 5th cast I got this guy. I would guess he was about 18-19" ??? He put up a short fight tearing off just a little bit of line, but the waves helped him come ashore with ease. All in all I beat the skunk and got my first hali. Took a pic and sent him on his way. Definitely beats work ... tight lines

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/7522/snc00064c.jpg

bsp
12-24-2009, 02:40 PM
Congrats on your first surf halibut! May there be many more to come and Merry Christmas!

murrieta angler
12-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Sweet job getting your halibut Tony. Now you'll have to quit your job and become a regular at the beach...:Big Grin: Happy Holidays

Wingnut
12-25-2009, 02:51 PM
It's been 10 years since you surf fish...
I was thinking that I should have started surf fishing 10 years ago. :LOL:
Well done, keep up the good work and hope to see more reports from you in the future. :Cool: Merry Christmas!

TopwaterTony
12-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Congrats on your first surf halibut! May there be many more to come and Merry Christmas!

Thank you!

Sweet job getting your halibut Tony. Now you'll have to quit your job and become a regular at the beach...:Big Grin: Happy Holidays

That plan sounds like a good one :Smile:

It's been 10 years since you surf fish...
I was thinking that I should have started surf fishing 10 years ago. :LOL:
Well done, keep up the good work and hope to see more reports from you in the future. :Cool: Merry Christmas!

Yeah but it was mostly up in Carpenteria on Summer trips so not like I have the itch for fishing now :LOL:

Merry Christmas to you all, and all on FNN.

flyngby
12-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Looks like you have not lost your touch over those 10 years. Time sure does fly!

Steve