PDA

View Full Version : Jess Ranch 12/20

Lunker1979
12-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Got to Jess Ranch around 0650 hours, not too many people there. Fishng was slow all day. My dad and I managed 10 mostly on power bait. Caught a few on jigs, nothing over 1.5 pounds. I wanted to go throw my pole in that pond area. Love to see what happens to my jig when it hits the water.

Saw a few catching fish, but I heard the day was really slow! I won't be going back to Jess Ranch anytime soon though. Hey old man on the cart, you don't have to come by every 10 minutes, snooping around to see how many stringers I have in the water. I understand there are people out there that do catch and release when they aren't supposed to, catch more then there limit, and fish with 12 poles. I paid my $17.00 to get in, leave me alone. You're better off sitting a mile away with binos and watching people. I'll stick with Corona!

P.S. I still don't know how to post pics!!!!

troutdog
12-23-2009, 09:17 PM
I had a great time at Jess this fall when we went, but the "catch anything else?" interview every 15 minutes got old really quick. Nice enough people out there, but that is just plain annoying....I have both Sarl and the Vine less than 20 minutes from my door and Corona maybe double that so I think I'll stick to those spots for my trout fix.

As far as your pics go, Fisherman57 put together a great how to....have fun!
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=16012

TD

Troutman65
12-23-2009, 09:37 PM
When we were last there for the TM Invitational the old timer crused by quite often. So what ? He is doing his job. I heard that after I left Jess Ranch he even loaded up his cart and helped some of our group bring their stuff to the front gate. The guy was cool in my book and did not bother me one bit. With all that being said nice going on your limits .

samgann93
12-23-2009, 09:41 PM
i dont like th patrol cart either. he complains if your like 20feet away from your stinger. and i swear he spots out the guys throwing jigs and makes sure he keeps his eye on them. i understand the no catch and release but jess takes it to another level. i still like lake though. fun place.

Santa Fe Eric
12-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Congrats on your limits. I love fishing Jess Ranch!

The "old guy" is great IMHO. Whenever I'm fishing with my nephew he encourages my nephew to outfish me. Different strokes for different folks. The last time I was at Corona, I got there at 3:00AM and was 4th in line. When I got by the Dam, one guy had 3 poles spread across about 50 feet of the shore. Good luck getting any help in that situation. All due respect to our sponsors, but I'll take Jess Ranch and Irvine with Patrol people anyday of the week.

Eric

AngryAgent
12-23-2009, 10:33 PM
I understand that some of you like Jess and I wish I could feel the same but getting hassled all day long and told how to fight your fish and yadda yadda yadda gets old really quick! Not to mention asking to search your bags on the way out of the gates. No thanks not for me. Jess is the only lake that I give my fish away at the end of my shift when I catch my limit because I am not allowed to release them. I keep 5 fish on my stringer and give them to an angler after I tell Jim (the old guy on the cart) who I'm giving them to and that I have caught my limit. I am all for protecting the lake and making sure people don't take advantage but they take things way too far.

Fly fisherman are also allowed to catch and release in one of the other ponds and they aren't using barbless. I understand that people fishing with bait on treble hooks have no business releasing fish period but guys jigging with barbless hooks should be able to release fish if the fly fisherman are allowed to do it is all I'm saying and kick back with the double standards. I fished there one time this year and I hadn't been there for about 5 years before that. I used to fish there a lot back in the day but overall it has just gotten worse over the years. They do have some beautiful fish though and nice clean water.

To each his own..

old pudd fisher
12-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Yes Jess sure has its rules but I like it and you have a good chance of catching fish their. And I think the old guy in the cart is pretty cool and polite. I bet he has to take a lot of s..t from people sometimes.

MAN VS WILD
12-23-2009, 11:42 PM
I love Jess, great place. I have never been hasseled by any of their staff ever. I rather have Jim rolling by every 15 min than being next to someone with 3 to five poles in the water and throwing chum out and security talking to that person and acting like they don't see all the poles in the water. Jim is cool, comes by and just asks "any fish?" then usually gives you the scoop on what's going on around the lake. Being helpful and doing his job is what that is called. Catch & release are the rules. At least the rules are being enforced here unlike many other pay lakes. Great scenery, hard fighting fish, and quality service! Can't beat that for $17.

Also Jess Ranch supplies a lot of Southern Cal lakes with their trout. Check out the Part 2 Video for Corona it shows The Jess Ranch truck stocking them with Ruby Reds. Why go anywhere else when you can catch it straight from the source. http://www.fishinglakes.com/

boxl0bster
12-24-2009, 12:20 AM
damn you're greedy man, 10 fish/LIMITS a slow day?? if thats a slow day at jess ranch, ill be there every weekend. :Wink:

Lunker1979
12-24-2009, 08:36 AM
When everyone around me isn't catching fish, I consider that a slow day. I generally do alright because I fish everything, from jigs, to powerbait, to lures. I usually catch a few on something.

I'm not a social butterfly and like talking to every Joe Blow that comes around. Again, I am all for the rules and regs and each different lake, but that does not mean I should have to take my stringer out every five minutes and let the "old man on the cart" know when the last time was I took a leak. Again, I thought it was a nice place to fish, however I won't be going back there anytime soon.

As far as the info he is giving, I didn't need it. Go help the people next to me using deep sea rods and 40 pound test. They could probably use a little assistance. The last thing I want to do when I'm leaving is open all my bags and get searched for hidden trout! That's like me pulling over grandma and her husband and searching their car. There are plenty more dirt bags to screw with!

Nessie Hunter
12-24-2009, 09:12 AM
GOOD NEWS!!!!

Looks like there will be a few more 'vacant spots' at Jess Ranch....

Jim and the other staff are the reason J/R stays so nice and pleasant to be at...

Liteliner
12-24-2009, 11:41 AM
If your not a social butterfly then why are you on a public forum??? Just sayin...:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Jess ranch is a great lake that i just discovered myself this winter. Fished it three times already and I love it. I think having the patrol guy drive around like that benefits everyone. No worries bout poachers or snaggers which means limits for all and less spooked big fish...:Big Grin::Big Grin::Big Grin:

If you dont want to catch your limit of smaller fish then I suggest you sight fish for the big boys. That will take up your whole day.

AngryAgent
12-24-2009, 03:55 PM
GOOD NEWS!!!!

Looks like there will be a few more 'vacant spots' at Jess Ranch....

Jim and the other staff are the reason J/R stays so nice and pleasant to be at...

Yeah a bunch of vacant spots:Rolls Eyes:

To each his own and all that good stuff.

I am glad someone enjoys it, being hassled that is. You obviously haven't had the same treatment as some of the other guys have and that's good. I personally have seen some things go on there that would have you and everyone else here none too happy.

If you have had a good experience I am glad, if not that is ok too, but relating your stories here is what a message board is all about so that everyone may be aware.

Happy holidays everyone:Envious:

JAG107
12-24-2009, 04:25 PM
I like JR ok... I fished it before corona twice this year, the first trip I got 2 hogs. The cart guy doesn't bother me cuz I have nothing to hide. 2 fish all day 1st trip, 4 dinkers the second (both days were 90-100 degrees, tough bite). The gate lady can look in my cooler, no prob. I cleaned the trout first anyway, it'd still be easy to hide a pile of fillets if I were exceeding the limit. Just sayin...
The cart guy also makes sure everyones got their shirt on, IMO this benefits everybody. He's not rude, but he's to the point. Hey its their lake, follow their rules or go somewhere else. Personally I like corona better for their size and boating opportunity, plus closer to home.

Kevthecatfishstudent
12-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Okay I have to chime in on this thread and I am sorry to hear that some don't like Jess and honestly I can see why. Some people attract a certain reaction out of others that others do not. It's just like that some times. But my thing is I have fished Jess with people that are not "social butterflies" and they love jess. I'm not saying anyone is wrong for their opinions I'm just saying that you get out of life what you demand. If you demand to be bothered you will be, if you embrace the program it will embrace you. Jess has its program and it is what it is. I would love to believe that fishermen are social people but reality is that there are very few that are not. But the phrase of this thread is "It is what it is" Because I could really bash a lot of pay lakes but it is what it is!

May the new year bring fishing cheer

Lunker1979
12-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Okay I have to chime in on this thread and I am sorry to hear that some don't like Jess and honestly I can see why. Some people attract a certain reaction out of others that others do not. It's just like that some times. But my thing is I have fished Jess with people that are not "social butterflies" and they love jess. I'm not saying anyone is wrong for their opinions I'm just saying that you get out of life what you demand. If you demand to be bothered you will be, if you embrace the program it will embrace you. Jess has its program and it is what it is. I would love to believe that fishermen are social people but reality is that there are very few that are not. But the phrase of this thread is "It is what it is" Because I could really bash a lot of pay lakes but it is what it is!

May the new year bring fishing cheer

Well I'm far from wanting to be bothered and the old guy in the cart bothers me. "I would love to believe that fishermen are social people but reality is that there are very few that are not," come on dude. That's what the site is for, fishing reports and input. My input is stay the hell away from Jess Ranch. If you want to go there and talk to the old man all day, go ahead. Me I don't, so I won't be back.

Roundabout
12-27-2009, 02:46 PM
:Smile:I went to JR yesterday it was slow on lake 3 but I was still able to get my limit.It took me 4hrs instead of 1hr.I think its one of the best pay to fish lakes around.to be able to catch one and two# trout that fight the way these fish do is great to me.And as far as jim and fred checking my stringer thats no problem if thats all I have to do to be able to fish there doesnt bother me at all:Smile:

FISHBAIT
12-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Ok all this talk about Jess Ranch makes me want to check it out so I'll be on the shores tomorrow. Wish me luck. Working on a goverenment contract I'm all good with having to follow rules. It's what keeps the wheels turning smoothly. As for Corona I visited it several times this year and you can count on a few things. Guys spread out over several yards hogging up prime shore line, trash everywhere except in the trash cans, and the old guy at the bait shop that refuses to talk he just looks at you until you hand him money. Oh yea you either have a great day of fishing where everyone around you is catching fish or a totally dead day. Last time we had more fun throwing rocks at a trash can. I still enjoy getting out and enjoying the outdoors but it makes it better if you see "someone" catching fish so you atleast have hope. I see the reports from Corona but for the amount of people I have seen fishing the waters it doesnt look like they have many limits. I could be wrong since I only went about 11-12 times.

Just my opinions, my comments are my findings brought on by my choices of locations to fish so don't get your scales ruffled up. I'll keep fishing Corona but if jess turns out a better bite that will be better for me since I live in Lancaster.

AngryAgent
12-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Ok all this talk about Jess Ranch makes me want to check it out so I'll be on the shores tomorrow. Wish me luck. Working on a goverenment contract I'm all good with having to follow rules. It's what keeps the wheels turning smoothly. As for Corona I visited it several times this year and you can count on a few things. Guys spread out over several yards hogging up prime shore line, trash everywhere except in the trash cans, and the old guy at the bait shop that refuses to talk he just looks at you until you hand him money. Oh yea you either have a great day of fishing where everyone around you is catching fish or a totally dead day. Last time we had more fun throwing rocks at a trash can. I still enjoy getting out and enjoying the outdoors but it makes it better if you see "someone" catching fish so you atleast have hope. I see the reports from Corona but for the amount of people I have seen fishing the waters it doesnt look like they have many limits. I could be wrong since I only went about 11-12 times.

Just my opinions, my comments are my findings brought on by my choices of locations to fish so don't get your scales ruffled up. I'll keep fishing Corona but if jess turns out a better bite that will be better for me since I live in Lancaster.

Good luck fishing tomorrow at Jess:ROFL:

JAG107
12-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Just my opinions, my comments are my findings brought on by my choices of locations to fish so don't get your scales ruffled up. I'll keep fishing Corona but if jess turns out a better bite that will be better for me since I live in Lancaster.[/QUOTE]

You may have a good bite there, and there's hawgs there too, just look for em. Try Lake 3 on the grassy knoll... always the best there for me anyway. I stand on a tree stump and sight fish, tossing jigs to em. Fun being able to watch them inhale a pink or green jig, then set em. Tell us how tasty you find the meat though, I'm curious what you think...

FISHBAIT
12-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Well we took the drive and the place was CLOSED! So we went to Mojave Narrows. We started at Pelican lake with no luck, we moved to the shore lines next to the camp sites. Well I'll admit I was scared since I left my fishing license at home. So I played it cool and was lucky. But I had the wife text me the id number off my license just incase.We ended the day with 6 good fighting trout cought on pink pb with jelly goop that smells waay strong.
I'll try Jess next weekend. Thanks for the pointers.