PDA

View Full Version : Converting a penn jigmaster500 to ballbearing

Fishbones
12-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Because we always cant afford the nice gear dosnt mean we cant convert.
So in time thru fishing many years ive built up a small....well....mabye large collection of reels for many types of fishing and because my brain is always thinking how to make things better i came up with this...and im sure it already has been done...i just never heard or seen it done so i tryed it and let me tell you...for a $60.00 reel and $8.00 bearing..this thing can throw...
Its as simple as this...the 500 uses a brass sleeve and the 505 a highspeed verson of 500 has a bearing. so i bought a used side plate from a 505 along with a new bearing and started by simply cutting away the plastic from used 505 untill the old bearing and pressed-molded in retainer can be removed then i started to remove the 500 screw on cast adjuster and brass bushing and opened the hole up with a 9/16 drill bit then simple press the 505 bearing retainer into the 9/16 hole on the 500 sideplate flush with the sideplate and screw in the bearing and adjust with test casts and enjoy.....fishbones:Idea:

vanillagurilla
12-23-2009, 06:20 PM
i just measure the opening for the bushing and the shaft size with a micrometer and go down to the r/c hobby store and buy bearings. lol. there only 1-2$$ each.

Fishbones
12-24-2009, 03:08 PM
but when done with original 505 parts you arnt left with that large adjuster knob that can get caught up or snagged not to mention if you fish that reel throwing bait or lures that adjuster knob jams into your palm ...kinda uncomfortable
you are correct on using a micrometer.....i was trying to keep it simple because not everyone has a micrometer like me and you.
So thanks to vanillagurillas info thats two ways to convert a 500......fishbones

vanillagurilla
12-24-2009, 03:26 PM
i dont do it to 500's but any reel i have. i have a tricked out shimano TX500 that weighs nothing but has ball bearings haha. and i dont know why haha.

Fishbones
12-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Nice....ive got to say that almost every shimano ive owned is super light weight and eitther loaded already with bearings or brass bushing and they have cast like no other...especially after the bearing swap....super smooth too.....fishbones