PDA

View Full Version : No more displaing license

retired96
12-23-2009, 10:26 AM
The Fish and Game Commission during their Dec. 9/10 meeting voted to change the Regulation that anglers will not have to display their fishing license anymore. This was due to many complaints of anglers losing their licenses.

Personally I don't know what the big deal was, I always wear mine around my neck, never lost it or had any problems.

Read in the Western Outdoor News.

Swank909
12-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Yea it never bothered me to just wear it around my neck, going to make it harder to see who is poaching / fishing illegally, but i guess that means more Warden visits. Its a win win

Sierra_Smitty
12-23-2009, 10:55 AM
The Fish and Game Commission during their Dec. 9/10 meeting voted to change the Regulation that anglers will not have to display their fishing license anymore. This was due to many complaints of anglers losing their licenses.

Personally I don't know what the big deal was, I always wear mine around my neck, never lost it or had any problems.

Read in the Western Outdoor News.

Interesting.....I really didn't see what the big deal was either but it is what it is. I actually liked the reg because it made calling Cal-Tip even more entertaining when I figured a would-be offender didn't even have a license on top of over-limits or illegal techniques and would thus be doubly screwed. Aww shucks.....

Flying
12-23-2009, 11:44 AM
They changed it to make all the LOSERS happy.:Twisted::LOL:

I'm still gonna wear mine on my hat otherwise I'll forget my hat and burn my bald head.:ROFL:

jeff4321
12-23-2009, 12:34 PM
FREE FISHING! WOO. just kidding. =P

Big Country
12-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Yeah - WON has been doing little articles on this for the past couple of months, but it has really been flying under the radar screen of the general masses.

When does it go into effect? Jan 1 or July 1?

retired96
12-23-2009, 04:07 PM
I think the biggest complainers were ocean fishermen. If you can't wear your license without losing it you shouldn't be fishing. I liked the fact that I could see fishermen displaying their license.

Trout 1
12-23-2009, 05:17 PM
Interesting.....I really didn't see what the big deal was either but it is what it is. I actually liked the reg because it made calling Cal-Tip even more entertaining when I figured a would-be offender didn't even have a license on top of over-limits or illegal techniques and would thus be doubly screwed. Aww shucks.....

Same thing I thought but oh well!!!

Trout 1

Crawler
12-26-2009, 09:33 AM
That seems kind of dumb. I will continue to wear mine around my neck, next to my hemos.

superbigfish
12-26-2009, 02:14 PM
i think this is great. i've never had a license. i dont think dfg would check. i fish with a group of 30 people. do you think he's going to check all of us?

Sierra_Smitty
12-26-2009, 03:56 PM
i think this is great. i've never had a license. i dont think dfg would check. i fish with a group of 30 people. do you think he's going to check all of us?

Thankfully in my neck of the woods they do check everyone when they're around......wish they had the manpower to cover all the water though.

gavin310
12-26-2009, 11:10 PM
I hate wearing anything around my neck. Especially my fishing license when it's windy. That sucks. You don't have to wear your drivers license around your neck when you drive, makes sense not to have to wear your fishing license around your neck.

Sierra_Smitty
12-27-2009, 08:40 AM
I hate wearing anything around my neck. Especially my fishing license when it's windy. That sucks. You don't have to wear your drivers license around your neck when you drive, makes sense not to have to wear your fishing license around your neck.

The law never said a thing about wearing your license as a necklace....it asked that you display it above the waist. Most folks chose to wear it on their hat, shirt or jacket and some around their neck if they so choosed...I always keep mine on my backpack. But I guess that was too much for some whiney babies out there who couldn't understand that the handful of wardens could use a little help in order to cover hundreds of square miles of water properly.

And we do have to display a license when we're driving - its called a license plate and we have to have one on the front and back of the vehicle.....if the plate doesn't check out, you get pulled over and ticketed/arrested depending on the problem.

And your drivers license is a little different (besides the fact that a cop couldn't necessarily see you wearing it inside a vehicle) - for instance, in Inyo County, where I live, I know of TWO full-time wardens to cover every stream, lake and pond in the region.....but there is very literally an army of law enforcement (CHP, Sheriffs and PD) to patrol the highways.

With all the opposition to anglers these days I find it flat out stupid that some of us chose to make a big stink about this particular issue.....baffles the mind.

gavin310
12-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Solid points. Drivers license was a bad example. Proof of insurance. It would definitely save time wearing it in a visible area while driving. Bad analogy... moving on. Anyway, almost every time I've been stopped by dfg i'm not wearing my license. (Exception being surf fishing.) They simply ask to see it, I pull it out of my tackle box, he reads the details, then we usually shoot the sh-t for a bit and they leave. Really not a big deal. They ALWAYS read the details on the license, not just look to see if I have one. I realize it's different when dealing with large groups of people, but even then I see them read the license then ask to see the guy's ID to validate. By the time he's done with one guy the rest have their rods out of the water.

If the law was simply changed to requiring it be visible, e.g. on your tackle box, chair, yourself, I'd like that.

I wish they'd put more effort into hiring new wardens rather than this crap.

brewin_bruin
12-27-2009, 03:20 PM
I never had a problem displaying my fishing license, in fact I always look forward to seeing Fish & Game patrolling the waters... what I never understood is when Ricky Ranger would approach us on foot, seeing our fishing licenses clearly displayed, why he would insist on checking our California Drivers Licenses, I mean WTF... this happens 9 out 10 times @ the Wood... you have to stop what your doing, dig out your ID and show it to him... and if you asked why it was necessary, since it defeated the whole purpose for having it CLEARLY DISPLAYED above the waist in the first place, you'd get some of that wonderful attitude some of those guys are famous for...

As far as Im concerned, this new change in regulations is no biggie... at least now when I get rousted to show some ID, he'll have a valid reason.

retired96
12-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Being a retired LEO, its only common sense to also ask for your ID along with your fishing license. You could be using your friends license because you don't have one. Checking both verifies that the person being checked on is in fact the proper licensed angler.

gavin310
12-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Being a retired LEO, its only common sense to also ask for your ID along with your fishing license. You could be using your friends license because you don't have one. Checking both verifies that the person being checked on is in fact the proper licensed angler.

They also usually take my license out of the plastic case. As someone with experience in forging documents, I know how easy it would be to forge a fishing license, but matching the paper would be very difficult, so they need to take it out to make sure it's real.

Sue
12-27-2009, 11:24 PM

That is incredibly obnoxious of you to post that on here.

Trout 1
01-11-2010, 10:58 PM

Ohhhhh so thats how you poachers do it...........................:Rolls Eyes:

Trout 1

tpfishnfool
02-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Read your lisence people.. It Reads must be displayed at or above the waist while fishing.
HELLO !!

smokinflies
02-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah - WON has been doing little articles on this for the past couple of months, but it has really been flying under the radar screen of the general masses.

When does it go into effect? Jan 1 or July 1?

I think it goes into effect on March 1, 2010, but don't quote me on that.

Fire Ball
02-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I think it goes into effect on March 1, 2010, but don't quote me on that.

I am pretty sure on that too.