PDA

View Full Version : Navigator II vs Fish Cat 4?

Goofy4fish
12-23-2009, 09:47 AM
I currently have a Nav II and am thinking about a Fish Cat 4 LCS with inflatable seat & back. I have had the Nav II for about 3 years & love it but I see some real plusses for the FC4. I would love to hear from others that have the FC4 and especially anyone who has had both. Please give me both sides, pro & con. I only wish there was a place to try out both models to do a real live comparison.

Poxy Boggards
12-23-2009, 02:04 PM
I have FC4 and I like it alot. I would recomend the inflatable seat/backrest over the foam, because the foam can get a bit uncomfortable after hours of fishing.

I have no comparison for you, but I can tell you that I love my FC4.

Fire Ball
12-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Don't forget about the Creek Company ODC 420! It is similar to the FC4, but you can get them pretty cheap on eBay. There used to be a guy that sold them on eBay and you could get them REALLY cheap. I have a Creek Company Original U-Boat and it is a really nice tube, which I got really cheap on eBay. I would go with any Creek Company product. I'm sure the FC4 is also really good too.

You could always get the FC4 and then test it out a little and if you don't like it, you might be able to return it. Just make sure it looks like you didn't use it! :ROFL:

AngryAgent
12-23-2009, 07:38 PM
I have used the ODC 420, FC4 and the Togiak. For me the Togiak is the best and better priced then the others. It has a foam seat just like the other 2 but without the back rest being foam as well. It is also about half the weight which is a huge key for me because I hike long distances with my tube. The price is also much better at $150.00 brand new. The FS4 is a great tube if you're not going to hike but the PVC and foam on both the bottom of the seat and back rest make it super heavy. The Togiak also has a loads of storage room and did I mention the price:Envious:

#1)Togiak
#2)FishCat4 any of them
#3)ODC 420

Fire Ball
12-23-2009, 07:52 PM
I have used the ODC 420, FC4 and the Togiak. For me the Togiak is the best and better priced then the others. It has a foam seat just like the other 2 but without the back rest being foam as well. It is also about half the weight which is a huge key for me because I hike long distances with my tube. The price is also much better at $150.00 brand new. The FS4 is a great tube if you're not going to hike but the PVC and foam on both the bottom of the seat and back rest make it super heavy. The Togiak also has a loads of storage room and did I mention the price:Envious:

#1)Togiak
#2)FishCat4 any of them
#3)ODC 420

You can get the ODC 420 for less than that brand new on eBay. The FC4 and ODC 420 look cooler to me. Creek Company float tubes have a lifetime warranty, so that is a plus, but the other might too. The Togiak doesn't look like it is built to be as tough (against hooks, rocks, spines, etc) as the ODC 430 or FC4.

AngryAgent
12-23-2009, 08:36 PM
You can get the ODC 420 for less than that brand new on eBay. The FC4 and ODC 420 look cooler to me. Creek Company float tubes have a lifetime warranty, so that is a plus, but the other might too. The Togiak doesn't look like it is built to be as tough (against hooks, rocks, spines, etc) as the ODC 430 or FC4.

Yeah it's not covered in heavy PVC to weigh it down on those long hikes to lakes that are holding trout people only dream about catching:Envious: Just joking:Envious:

No actually it is very sturdy and has held up well. I think the stitching is also better then the other tubes. The one thing that I am not that happy with are the valves themselves. The 420 and FS4 have that locked down much better. I can also vouch for the toughness of the Togiak as I floated down PVR at the closer from the top and scraped my *** for about a mile down rocks and tree branches. I also weigh about 210 and it performed flawlessly and didn't take any damage while scraping across those rocks. I have a FS4 I will sell for $65 right now it's all yours:Envious:

EMarty
12-25-2009, 09:00 PM
I also have the FC4 with the foam seat, and it's never bothered me much. I will float for hours without any trouble at all. This tube is a bit heavy compared to the FC4 with the inflated seat. This matter when you got a long hike, like Kirman or back to the car on a windy Crowley Lake. As for the togiak... On a trip last year to Eagle lake we needed to hike about a mile to get to the "spot". During the afternoon return the sun and daytime heat caused the tubes to expand a little, and my buddy's togiak split a seam in the fabric while being carried on his back. We rigged up a quick repair using an line stringer, but when we return in the fall my buddy was floating in a FC4 (inflated seats).

I weigh in at 230 and the FC4 floats me just fine. I would agree it could benifit from more storage space. I've seen the ODC tubes on the water and they look to be of quality construction, and those fishermen I spoke with seem more than happy with the performance of the ODC.

No matter which one you choose, get out and often and hook-up.

AngryAgent
12-26-2009, 11:18 AM
I also have the FC4 with the foam seat, and it's never bothered me much. I will float for hours without any trouble at all. This tube is a bit heavy compared to the FC4 with the inflated seat. This matter when you got a long hike, like Kirman or back to the car on a windy Crowley Lake. As for the togiak... On a trip last year to Eagle lake we needed to hike about a mile to get to the "spot". During the afternoon return the sun and daytime heat caused the tubes to expand a little, and my buddy's togiak split a seam in the fabric while being carried on his back. We rigged up a quick repair using an line stringer, but when we return in the fall my buddy was floating in a FC4 (inflated seats).

I weigh in at 230 and the FC4 floats me just fine. I would agree it could benifit from more storage space. I've seen the ODC tubes on the water and they look to be of quality construction, and those fishermen I spoke with seem more than happy with the performance of the ODC.

No matter which one you choose, get out and often and hook-up.

That is a problem with the altitude and over inflation not with the tube itself. I have had friends pop their tubes in the back of the truck before cuz they didn't let some air out of it. Problem should not be pointed at the Togiak but more at your friend:Rolls Eyes:

Hunt4Fish
01-11-2010, 04:49 PM
I've got a green Fat Cat by Outcast w/ foam seats, its like fishing in your favorite lounge chair, love it but it wouldn't be a hiker.