PDA

View Full Version : Dana Point at the Jetty

servant joe
07-07-2007, 02:33 PM
Hello All,
On July 4th, I drove my family to Dana Point to play at the Doheny State Beach. About 3 pm, I took my 5 year old daughter and hiked out to the jetty to fish. My brother in law bought nuclear worm at Hogan's Tackle store behind Carl Jr. Cut the nuclear worm to about 5" and hooked on the hooks. Casted it down into the bay and let my daughter hold on to her fishing rod. 3 minutes later, she screamed to the top of her lung. She said, "Daddy, I got a fish." I told her to reel it up, but she said she couldn't because it was too heavy for her to reel.
At the end of 1-2 hours fishing, the final score was:
my daughter:
1 yellow fin croaker
2 barred sand bass

me:
1 micro-sting ray
1 super micro barred sand bass

Well, not bad for her first fishing trip.
I started to like salt water fishing too.
God Bless
servantjoe
p.s. sorry, there are no pictures. but you just take my words for it.

bones
07-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Well ....there ya go JOE!
Can't beat a day with your child and you both avoid the skunk. I don't know about those nuclear worms though. If I remember right those are the worms that grow to 5 ft long but I thought they were intended for FW fishing. I could be wrong though.
Anyways.......Good job on your surf fishing adventures. I do admit though......I wish you had pics. Either it was a sandbass you caught(I've never heard of a barred one) or you caught a barred surf perch. I know you are very new and SW fishing.

victor101
07-07-2007, 08:54 PM
thanks for the report joe! good to see you got the answers you were looking for :thumb:

servant joe
07-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Hey Guys,
Next time, I will post the pictures for sure. This will be my last time without a picture.
Take care,
servantjoe
p.s. Thanks for the tips Bones and Vic. Your advices really help us. The nuclear worm is very long. Two days ago, my wife's brother bought 3 nuclear worms for 8.50. They are very expensive. However, he went skunk for the whole day.

victor101
07-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Well ....there ya go JOE!
Can't beat a day with your child and you both avoid the skunk. I don't know about those nuclear worms though. If I remember right those are the worms that grow to 5 ft long but I thought they were intended for FW fishing. I could be wrong though.
Anyways.......Good job on your surf fishing adventures. I do admit though......I wish you had pics. Either it was a sandbass you caught(I've never heard of a barred one) or you caught a barred surf perch. I know you are very new and SW fishing.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mspcont9.html
barred sand bass is just the "technical" name.