PDA

View Full Version : Redondo pier fishing 12/22/09

Ifishtoolittle
12-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Went down to Redondo with my Uncle today in high hopes of catching well anything. We were armed with hooks ranging from size 1 to 20 bait holders. Dropshot Sinkers in the 1/8-1 oz class and Ultralight rods with 4lb. Bait: squid from the market and a 1lb bag kindlygiven to us from the staff in the Landing store.

Fished from 11-2:30 and caught well over 30 Senorita Fish and Jacksmelt. The trick for today was to fish the bottom in the morning and slowly fish closer to the surface as the day progressed. Our rigs consisted of reverse dropper loop, dropshot and split shot and bait. The fish were difficult to hook and at times we hooked the sides of the fish.

All in all the day went pretty nicely and I kept a few Senoritas and Jacksmelt for the fry.

For those if you who have no idea what a senorita fish is here's one I caught in MAY.

http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu337/Ifishtoolittle/IMG_1956.jpg

-IF2L

NooB SaBass
12-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Jacksmelt are a pretty good fight yea?
Good job either way sounds like u guys were killing em out there, I'm mad it rained all of a hour lol... all that hype...

bsp
12-22-2009, 05:32 PM
That sounds like a fun trip. The little sportfishing pier is a great place to fish year round. I was jetty hopping the harbor last Friday. Did you guys see any Opaleye or just the swarms of senorita wrasse?

Ifishtoolittle
12-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Jacksmelt are a pretty good fight yea?
Good job either way sounds like u guys were killing em out there, I'm mad it rained all of a hour lol... all that hype...

Jacksmelt hit like a freight train. Man are they fun!

Ifishtoolittle
12-22-2009, 08:09 PM
That sounds like a fun trip. The little sportfishing pier is a great place to fish year round. I was jetty hopping the harbor last Friday. Did you guys see any Opaleye or just the swarms of senorita wrasse?

Just wrasse. The swells were too strong for any of the Opeyes to be near the jetties. The waves that were crashing the Jetties had to be at least 10ft+.

Fire Ball
12-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Jacksmelt hit like a freight train. Man are they fun!

I have caught them before and they fight so much! More than any fish of their size.

murrieta angler
12-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Nice job out there with the free bait..:Big Grin: Thanks for the info in regards to bringing the line up as the day goes on, never thought of that myself..:Razz:
Have a Merry Christmas, Robert

Natural Lefty
12-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Ifishtoolittle, I am glad to see that you made it to Redondo Sportfishing Pier with your uncle, and caught a bunch of those critters. Those Senoritas are fun with their constant nibbling, and Jacksmelt pull surprisingly hard. Last time I was there, I was astonished by the large schools of Senorita that could actually be seen swimming near the pier.

Ifishtoolittle
12-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Ifishtoolittle, I am glad to see that you made it to Redondo Sportfishing Pier with your uncle, and caught a bunch of those critters. Those Senoritas are fun with their constant nibbling, and Jacksmelt pull surprisingly hard. Last time I was there, I was astonished by the large schools of Senorita that could actually be seen swimming near the pier.

Thanks, Natural Lefty. I panfried the Senoritas today and I would say the meat is quite soft and very flakey. And you were right about the fish tasting like a sheephead. Fishing was very nice for the most part until a small commorant came by and scared the Senoritas off.

Ifishtoolittle
12-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Nice job out there with the free bait..:Big Grin: Thanks for the info in regards to bringing the line up as the day goes on, never thought of that myself..:Razz:
Have a Merry Christmas, Robert

Thanks Robert and you have a nice Xmas too.

Natural Lefty
12-24-2009, 08:01 PM
I did a double take when you said "Thanks Robert and have a nice Xmas too." Like Murrieta Angler, Robert is also my non-screen name.

Ifishtoolittle
12-24-2009, 08:57 PM
I did a double take when you said "Thanks Robert and have a nice Xmas too." Like Murrieta Angler, Robert is also my non-screen name.

I see and a happy Xmas to you too.