PDA

View Full Version : The good, the BAD and the ugly....

NooB SaBass
12-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Beach assault Pvt Noob Sabass reporting in for duty with another fishing update, this time I did my first beach assault and dispite the conditions I believe I did decent.

SURF GEAR:
-7.5 Shakespeare Microspin Carbon rod, Micro F2 reel
-6lb unkown test (whatever they laced it with)
-1 tray filled with 1/2 ounce sliders,SPRO swivels,8mm Glass beads,2 spoons, and 2 pre set up hooks 1 foot and 2 feet.
-Green and dark green redtailed grubs
-Blue and green Blackflaked grubs
-Clear Redflaked grubs
-4.5' MORF colored worms w/spin tails (originally bass gear)
-V.2 LC Sardine runner
-Backpack
-Fishing vest
-Shorts lol

PREY
-Barred Surf Perch (3) 7",6",5"
-Corbina (1) 13.5" 1.8lb

Sooooo I got off gravyard around 6:15am it was cold and the sun just peeked off red... Ahhhhh another perfect day I thought (48F) lol... so as I let my bike warm up I started thinking hmmm its raining 2morrow huh?... ok well I think I'm going to try surf fishing today...As I head home the wind flows effortlessly down my chevron shirt around back and reminds my spine just how cold it really is(48-10=36/38F windchill on a bike!). Yes time to layer up, around 8:15am im ready and hitting pavment with 2 longsleeves and a sweater for the ride lol. Hit Carlsbad around 9:06am and head down to the water. Me being a complete noob at not only bass fishing but surf fishing didnt know what the hell I was looking for, but I decided to at least try and find anthing that looked odd. to the right I spot the pier, so Naturaly I head that direction first. The surf was rough all day constant swells, good surfing, bad fishing but I wasnt letting that get me down 30 min that way tossing a Carolina rig set up with my redtails leading the way. No go so I make my way back twards my starting point. got just a little left of where I started and on the 2nd cast after breaking off the tail section of one of the MORF worms and rigging that up..."twitch...tug...TUG! tug tug" wtf?! I think.... I do.... YES!!!! skunks off! whoooo im not a failure! lol
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=405&pictureid=3164

So after that im feeling good I stroll down a little further(told you I'm noob, I later found out when u find a hole STAY!) Nothing cast after cast on slow retrieve untill about 10:50 when "tap tap TUG, RUN!!!" the line sings and whooo fights on! about a min later I coaxed this litte beauty outta the surf!
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=405&pictureid=3165

Whooo! im feeling really good now because before this it was all DVL fishing and that is 0-3 so catching fish again makes it alllllll better lol.
I stay there and swing and a miss, swing and a miss again and nothing till around 11:40 when...."BAM!"... ?! wtf was that?! reeled in to find my MORF tail was history lol.. so I rip off another tail and try for it again... nothing so I coast down more and more whe I see a Inlet with rocks! whooo I make my way down and fished near it, nothing all dead, sooo depressing, though the tide was LOW and the surf was super rough.By 1:30pm I fished the inlet when SNAP!... dang lost my rig so I fished a spoon in there hoping somthing would take till about 2:10pm, nothing so I marched back twards my bike and decided to hang out a bit more by 2:30 I'm left of my starting point bout 1/8th of a mile and started throwing.. the surf was still vicious but least was coming back up... uhhh ohhh thats BSP Playtime! so I fished and about 5 cast in that oh so familiar "tap,tap,TUG!" gotchya!
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=405&pictureid=3166

swing and a miss on two cast and on the third (10 min afer starting)
ha! I learned the way of the BSP hunter
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=405&pictureid=3167

swing and a miss, again, again and then.... "TUG! TUG! RUN!" It was so fast I missed em ad damn... abother tails gone lol little bastards...Well i figured id try for a Hali after remebering they are hunters and ambush right after drop-offs and flats. so I tied up my LC and on cast 2 "RUN!" wtf?! holy hell no tug?! lol fight on the reel singing and a puzzled surfer onlooking.... ok I cant miss this now... as he works me and i work him back I see a flash and he jets the other way. dude these things fights are Epic! flash again an then te final run down flash and .... no tension NOOOOOOOOO retrieved the lure, but popped out of his mouth about 9 feet from me... dang :Angry:... so I decided after that to call er a day! with no Skunk and my heart still pumpin ^^b not a bad day at the Bad....
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/picture.php?albumid=405&pictureid=3168

ghetto dad
12-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Nice job and report man..

GD

fish4keep
12-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Your wfc is a corbina....

NooB SaBass
12-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Your wfc is a corbina....

Is it really?! how do you know?

bsp
12-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Yeah, that's definitely a corbina, and congrats on getting one on artificials! That doesn't happen too much. The easiest way to tell is to put the fish on its stomach. Corbina can "stand up" while yellowfin croakers fall right over. I assume spotfin do too, but I have never caught one to try that with. There is a white croaker (no white fin croaker in CA), but those look very different and aren't caught from the surf.

NooB SaBass
12-22-2009, 04:23 PM
ohhhh thats whats sup! I never thought I'd catch 1 lol too bad it wasnt a big un yet.

Wingnut
12-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Very nice... now you're hooked! :Twisted:
Keep it up, more species and bigger prey awaits... :Wink:

murrieta angler
12-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Good job out there Noob. You now are hooked for life, like myself, and "we' will hit up the surf together real soon in the future...See ya after the holidays and Merry Christmas...:Smile:

NooB SaBass
12-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Very nice... now you're hooked! :Twisted:
Keep it up, more species and bigger prey awaits... :Wink:

Ya It seems that way! This is alot of fun! I asked for Waders for X-mas hopefully santa loves me at least a little this year lol. Now I have to head out with you and S.W.A.T. have ya show me some stuff :Big Grin:

Good job out there Noob. You now are hooked for life, like myself, and "we' will hit up the surf together real soon in the future...See ya after the holidays and Merry Christmas...:Smile:

Thx M.A. ya I was frreeezing today forgot I had a xmas party to attend, but after I get some waders or at least boots we should go Recon ^^b

Natural Lefty
12-23-2009, 10:05 PM
NooB SaBass, I am glad you had success out there. I find ocean fish usually more accomodating than the freshwater ones in the winter, myself. That is a beautiful Corbina.

bsp
12-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Also, you might want to consider bringing 12lb line to toss the LC on. 6lb is way too light for halibut, and you don't want one to snap your line when it does some head shakes close to shore!

NooB SaBass
12-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Gotchya I'm gonna try for 1 right now I'm heading out the door ^^