PDA

View Full Version : Slow pick at Castaic 12/19

fishinone
12-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Bong, Mischa and I planned to troll a little at Castaic but fish mostly bait.

We found a few fish trolling but they weren't cooperating.

We tried anchoring on a School that we found in an unusual spot only to find out that they were catfish.

Bong caught a 5 1/2 pounder.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Bong%20and%20Mischa%20at%20Castaic%2012-19-2009/1219091020a.jpg

We trolled some more just to be ignored then tried to anchor on some schools. I say tried to anchor because for the most part we just drug the anchor through the schools until we ran them off. we did get set up on some after a few tries but didn't get hit.

We found an empty spot at the buoy line and started catching a few. T/O, webmaster and gletemfeelthesteel came and fished with us. We had good company even though the fishing was slow. Jeff it was nice to meet you. You put together a nice board.

We ended the day with 6 striper and a catfish.

Bong caught the biggest fish, the catfish and the biggest striper, about 3 1/2 lb.

Fishing was slow. I was worried that I would catch a nice skunk until we stopped at the buoy line.

It was a good day!

M@M
12-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Looks like the weather was great. Nice day to be out on the water and you beat the skunk. Good stuff .

Agro
12-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Yep SLOW for us yesterday too. We trolled and trolled for no bites. Set up on a few schools but nothing either. The fish are REALLY deep right now. I was metering striper from 90 - 240 feet.

Did the buoy line / bait thing for 4 fish, biggest went about 5 pounds.

marzocchi
12-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Seems like it was a slow day for everyone on Saturday. One day they bite full speed then the next they slowed down. At least you guys caught fish.

We had the same problem on friday trying to anchor. I had to reset the anchor about 4 or 5 times to put us on the fish. Everytime I set it perfectly the anchor dragged. You be surprise on how much a few feet makes. Good thing I had my college bud with me to pull anchor...lol

msos
12-21-2009, 03:51 PM
I got skunk on Sat 12-19. That's the third time I tried in about 5 weeks. It's nice to catch any kind fish when you get out of the house.

fishinone
12-21-2009, 04:02 PM
Seems like it was a slow day for everyone on Saturday. One day they bite full speed then the next they slowed down. At least you guys caught fish.

We had the same problem on friday trying to anchor. I had to reset the anchor about 4 or 5 times to put us on the fish. Everytime I set it perfectly the anchor dragged. You be surprise on how much a few feet makes. Good thing I had my college bud with me to pull anchor...lol

I like this calculation. I'm going back on Thursday.

S S M T W T

Thursday should be a good day!:LOL:

shinbob
12-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Question: how do you tell the stripers from the catfish on the meter? If I meter fish, for example, at 85 feet in 90 feet of water, can I assume that they are catfish? Do stripers ever hug the bottom at that depth?

Or can you tell by the numbers, i.e. multiple fish at the same depth = school of stripers; solitary fish = catfish?

fishinone
12-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Question: how do you tell the stripers from the catfish on the meter? If I meter fish, for example, at 85 feet in 90 feet of water, can I assume that they are catfish? Do stripers ever hug the bottom at that depth?

Or can you tell by the numbers, i.e. multiple fish at the same depth = school of stripers; solitary fish = catfish?

In the fishfinder menu under "Fish ID" you have to select "Fish Species", then it will display it on the screen.

OK I'll come clean, I can't tell for sure. I thought the fish on my meter were striper because it was a group of large fish but they were sitting still.

Most of the fish that I had seen on the meter that day were sitting relatively still. I only figured out that they were catfish after we caught one and I had a couple really light bites that ignored the bait as soon as I moved it a little.

When I see fish changing depth rapidly, especially if they aren't moving together, they're usually striper.

Agro
12-22-2009, 10:19 AM
In the fishfinder menu under "Fish ID" you have to select "Fish Species", then it will display it on the screen.

OK I'll come clean, I can't tell for sure. I thought the fish on my meter were striper because it was a group of large fish but they were sitting still.

Most of the fish that I had seen on the meter that day were sitting relatively still. I only figured out that they were catfish after we caught one and I had a couple really light bites that ignored the bait as soon as I moved it a little.

When I see fish changing depth rapidly, especially if they aren't moving together, they're usually striper.

How deep did you meter those catfish at? I saw tons of fish on my meter on Sunday but I couldnt tell if they were striper or catfish either. I dropped on them several times but didn't get bit.

fishinone
12-22-2009, 02:58 PM
How deep did you meter those catfish at? I saw tons of fish on my meter on Sunday but I couldnt tell if they were striper or catfish either. I dropped on them several times but didn't get bit.

The Catfish were on a rock point about 30 ft down in a tight group. They stayed after we set up and were there when we left.

I found "what I will describe as striper" in lots of places from 24 to 60 ft. They were in looser groups and wouldn't put up with much in the way of anchoring. When we did get set up on them they weren't staying long. This is kind of odd behavior for striper in deeper water. I don't usually have to much trouble setting up on them. I try to be quiet but even if I run them off they come back. They might have been following bait but it didn't seem like it.

Agro
12-22-2009, 04:14 PM
The Catfish were on a rock point about 30 ft down in a tight group. They stayed after we set up and were there when we left.

I found "what I will describe as striper" in lots of places from 24 to 60 ft. They were in looser groups and wouldn't put up with much in the way of anchoring. When we did get set up on them they weren't staying long. This is kind of odd behavior for striper in deeper water. I don't usually have to much trouble setting up on them. I try to be quiet but even if I run them off they come back. They might have been following bait but it didn't seem like it.

There were a TON of marks in the cove just below C point along that rock embankment and about 5 boats anchored up on it. When I drove by and looked at the meter, they were sitting in about 150 feet of water. When I talked to the guys at the ramp who were fishing there, they said those fish bit decent in the morning and nothing at all in the afternoon. It just shut off.

SUPER DEEP!

fishinone
12-22-2009, 05:10 PM
There were a TON of marks in the cove just below C point along that rock embankment and about 5 boats anchored up on it. When I drove by and looked at the meter, they were sitting in about 150 feet of water. When I talked to the guys at the ramp who were fishing there, they said those fish bit decent in the morning and nothing at all in the afternoon. It just shut off.

SUPER DEEP!

I didn't look deeper than about 80 ft on Saturday. I'll give the deeper ones a shot on Thursday and see what happens.

THROWBACK RANGER
12-22-2009, 05:44 PM
LOL his name is BONG!!!!!!CHOKE CHOKE!!

TroutOnly
12-22-2009, 06:02 PM
BONG IS A COOL GUY AND A GREAT FISHERMAN,,,,,,,AND HIS OCEAN BOAT KICKS *** ON MOST IVE SEEN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NICE TO GET FISH NEXT TO YOU GUYS FOR A LITTLE WHILE RON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

BIGBASS MB
12-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Now thats some good eating fish, nice report thank you... Mb

sardean
12-22-2009, 08:32 PM
BONG IS A COOL GUY AND A GREAT FISHERMAN,,,,,,,DIPSHIT,,,,,,AND HIS OCEAN BOAT KICKS *** ON MOST IVE SEEN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NICE TO GET FISH NEXT TO YOU GUYS FOR A LITTLE WHILE RON,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

i thought it was pretty funny..lol im sure hes a good guy!

fishinone
12-23-2009, 09:48 AM
LOL his name is BONG!!!!!!CHOKE CHOKE!!

I don't get it. What is it that you are referring to?:Confused:

Actually, it's a Filipino nick name. "Bing Bong" when they are kids and when they're older they grow into "Bong".

I know a couple guys named Bong. Neither one of them is a pot head.

Would you be more comfortable with Manuel?

Did you notice the fishing report?