PDA

View Full Version : jig reel help

whittier_brian
12-20-2009, 09:49 AM
I am looking to buy a new trout jig reel cost is no prob so what is the best to bye?

vanillagurilla
12-20-2009, 10:31 AM
shimano stella or stradic 1000. stellas are $350+ and stradics are 159+. he new areo wrap technology and the new roller bearing really help the new shimano lineup. ive been using my stradic for jigging the last 2 weeks everyday and havent gotten 1 loop on my spool. the line stays wound nice and tight. my old reels.... forget it, i would get atleast 2 birds nests a day. i love my stradic.

Nessie Hunter
12-20-2009, 10:50 AM
I think we just had a Steeze vs Stella thread???
Cant beat quality.... IF price is no problem...

When Trout fishing jigs and/or 2# line for any fish.. !!
IMHO it is more Rod feel & quality, Plus good fresh line, then the Reel...
As long as you have a smooth drag on the Reel, it is the right one....

You dont need a $400 Reel for trout by any stretch of the imagination..

I have slayed zillions of trout (to 10#) and bass & Halibut Etc (fresh & Salt) on my Ugly Stick, Cuda line and Abu Cardinal over the years..
I take care of the Reel and Drags & change the line often..
Its still my go to most of the time, even when I have expensive Reels and Custom rods...
It has paid for itself 100 times over...

Save your money and buy the G/F / Wife some flowers (and maybe a Diamond).. Youll be much happier in the long run....:Wink:

Bradakas
12-20-2009, 10:55 AM
+1

set a budget on how much you want to spend on a reel and stick to it. Just make sure the drag is consistent and smooth.

btw I'm using a $15 abu cardinal 100UL with 2lb. One of these days I'm sure I'll up grade.

vanillagurilla
12-20-2009, 10:57 AM
id stick with a stradic or even a symetry. my buddy has a custom rod with the stella and i feel like im going to break it when i pick it up because its so light. if you want light weight while saving some money, check out the stradic CI4 at your local tackle shop. its lighter than the steeze and comes in at just under $200.

whittier_brian
12-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Ok thanks for the help.

bsp
12-21-2009, 06:27 PM
If you want to have wicked JDM gear that owns USDM ultralight reels, try to find one of these (http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa_reels/Daiwa_Exist_Native.htm), maybe this (http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa_reels/Daiwa_Presso08.htm) one, or this series (http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/default/language/en/cPath/22_81_83_1098/river-lake-fishing-freshwater/reel/shimano-spinning/cardiff-area.html) if you like Shimano more than Daiwa.

ghetto dad
12-21-2009, 07:23 PM
yeah..u dont need a $200 trout reel man....like nessie said..something with a SMOOTH drag tho....any stick whatsoever can result in a lost fish or more using that light line....I fish 2 and 4, mainly 2...I use a "Tiny 20".....cost me like $20 and has lasted quite awhile....

if you want shimano...get an FB or an FD....in the size your prefer...nice reels and cost around $50-$80...and no one can touch Shimano in customer service if you have probs with it...

again..just my opinion....

GD

bsp
12-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Definitely agree with GD. You don't need an ultra expensive trout reel. I made my suggestions because you said money was no problem, so I figured that you may as well go with the best. Not necessarily the most sensible, but it's like cars. A Volkswagen station wagon will get you to work just as safely and reliably as a Lamborghini, but the Lambo will look a lot cooler and be more luxurious to drive. It's a lot less sensible and costs a ridiculous amount though.

That's kind of like trout reels. At a certain point you are paying a lot more for a lot less improvement. The difference is very noticeable between a Shimano FX and a Shimano Sahara. Same with the Sahara and Saros. Saros and Stradic... not so much. Saros and Stradic CI4, noticeable difference. CI4 and Sustain, not really. Same with the Sustain and Stella. if you've got the cash go for it, but don't feel deprived if you don't have the ultra top of the line gear. Like GD said, your $60-$80 reel will catch as many fish as your $400 reel.

All that being said, if you can afford the expensive reel without sacrificing anything go for it. I assume Lambo owners don't just have a Lambo. They probably have other cars to handle practical things, and the Lambo is a luxury. Look at your reels like that. Fishing is a hobby, and your gear is a luxury. Once you've spent money on the essentials (family, food, clothes, gas, kid's college fund), then look at the amount you have left and decide how much you want to spend on a luxury.

ghetto dad
12-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Definitely agree with GD. You don't need an ultra expensive trout reel. I made my suggestions because you said money was no problem, so I figured that you may as well go with the best. Not necessarily the most sensible, but it's like cars. A Volkswagen station wagon will get you to work just as safely and reliably as a Lamborghini, but the Lambo will look a lot cooler and be more luxurious to drive. It's a lot less sensible and costs a ridiculous amount though.

That's kind of like trout reels. At a certain point you are paying a lot more for a lot less improvement. The difference is very noticeable between a Shimano FX and a Shimano Sahara. Same with the Sahara and Saros. Saros and Stradic... not so much. Saros and Stradic CI4, noticeable difference. CI4 and Sustain, not really. Same with the Sustain and Stella. if you've got the cash go for it, but don't feel deprived if you don't have the ultra top of the line gear. Like GD said, your $60-$80 reel will catch as many fish as your $400 reel.

All that being said, if you can afford the expensive reel without sacrificing anything go for it. I assume Lambo owners don't just have a Lambo. They probably have other cars to handle practical things, and the Lambo is a luxury. Look at your reels like that. Fishing is a hobby, and your gear is a luxury. Once you've spent money on the essentials (family, food, clothes, gas, kid's college fund), then look at the amount you have left and decide how much you want to spend on a luxury.

Sorry brother...i wasnt refering to your post...lol...didnt even click your links...just saw another members post.....no disrespect intended....

I guess it would depend also on how much time someone is actually going to put into it....

good luck with whatever you purchase brother...all posts are good advice..just depends on what you wanna spend....

have a good Holiday!!

GD

bsp
12-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Sorry brother...i wasnt refering to your post...lol...didnt even click your links...just saw another members post.....no disrespect intended....

I guess it would depend also on how much time someone is actually going to put into it....

good luck with whatever you purchase brother...all posts are good advice..just depends on what you wanna spend....

have a good Holiday!!

GD

Definitely not my intention man! Sorry if it seemed like that, I was agreeing that you made a very good point. If it seemed like I was reacting negatively, I sincerely apologize. You're a good guy (seen from your posts), and I've got nothing but respect for you, especially with how you hooked other FNNrs up when you worked at LBSF. Again, sorry if I offended or disrespected you in any way. That was not what I meant at all.

Marc

formosa
12-21-2009, 10:10 PM
yeah..u dont need a $200 trout reel man....like nessie said..something with a SMOOTH drag tho....any stick whatsoever can result in a lost fish or more using that light line....I fish 2 and 4, mainly 2...I use a "Tiny 20".....cost me like $20 and has lasted quite awhile....

if you want shimano...get an FB or an FD....in the size your prefer...nice reels and cost around $50-$80...and no one can touch Shimano in customer service if you have probs with it...

again..just my opinion....

GD

that's very well said gd, been saw so call fishermen with highend reels, didn't know what
are they doing. for trout fishing all you need are basic equipments, just my 2 cent.

Liteliner
12-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Well let me tell you what I would get if I had no cash limit.... For the reel you cant beat a Stella of course. It will cost you about 500 bucks. Well worth it!!!
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/lypeter23/2545.jpg

I would suggest you wait for Phenix's new line of trout rods comin out soon. The jig rod is super sick. Probably gonna retail for 400 bucks is what I was told.

I like looking good when im out fishing trout.:Cool:
IF YOU GOT IT FLAUNT IT!!!:Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana::Dancing Banana:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/lypeter23/IMG_3919.jpg

calico killer kevin
12-22-2009, 12:54 AM
Oh, come on. The man says he wants the best reel available; cost is no issue. Let the man have what he wants. A Stella or a JDM UL.

Let's face it, none of us really "needs" the gear we have to catch fish. The fancy gear just makes the experience that much better.

Liteliner
12-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Oh, come on. The man says he wants the best reel available; cost is no issue. Let the man have what he wants. A Stella or a JDM UL.

Let's face it, none of us really "needs" the gear we have to catch fish. The fancy gear just makes the experience that much better.

Thats what I'm talkin about.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

calico killer kevin
12-22-2009, 01:03 AM
Thats what I'm talkin about.:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Psychotic minds think alike. I thought I was the only one crazy enough to be up at this hour on FNN.:LOL:

bsp
12-22-2009, 07:46 AM
I would suggest you wait for Phenix's new line of trout rods comin out soon. The jig rod is super sick. Probably gonna retail for 400 bucks is what I was told.

The Mirages are going to be $230-$300. Those are different from the Iron Feather. Need to confirm how much those are before I say anything. The Mirage is a killer jig rod. I was fortunate enough to receive one, and cannot wait to try it out.

CKC, for ridiculous JDM ULs, do you like the Exist Native Custom or Cardiff Areas?

vanillagurilla
12-22-2009, 07:49 AM
well ill tell you what. i used to use cheap reels. i USED to get 2-3 tangles/birdsnest a day while mini jigging. that being said, i have not had 1 loop, knot, or tangle with my stradic and ive been fishing it every day for 2 weeks with 2lb. p-line and izor-line. i basicly bought a shimano because of the spool design, it has the propulsion lip, tall, and the 1000FI holds 270yds of 2lb. not neccesary but i back it with 4-6lb and put about 150 yards of 2lb on it. for bait fishing you can get away with a cheap reel, but not for jigging. ive tried and have gone thru atleast 2 cheap reels a season. i got sick of it so i got the stradic and use shimano TX500FA's (about 10-15 $$) for my bait reels if i fish bait.

ghetto dad
12-22-2009, 08:15 AM

yeah Kevin..but Ive been this board long enuf...I have had a few people post up similar requests on SW gear...then when Ive replied with a reel costing $200-$400...I get jumped on...lol

Go slay with whatever you get brian!!

GD

calico killer kevin
12-22-2009, 02:33 PM
The Mirages are going to be $230-$300. Those are different from the Iron Feather. Need to confirm how much those are before I say anything. The Mirage is a killer jig rod. I was fortunate enough to receive one, and cannot wait to try it out.

CKC, for ridiculous JDM ULs, do you like the Exist Native Custom or Cardiff Areas?
I've had the pleasure of handling a Steez Exist Custom in the 2004 size and the thing is sick. Head and shoulders above the USDM Stella. Granted the max drag pressure is not near the Stella 1000, but it is not intended to serve that purpose. The Steez's minute drag adjustments are what sets them apart as well as the fluidity of retrieve. I have used none of the reels for long enough to accurately review the test of time, but from my experience of Daiwa vs. Shimano, I will give Shimano the edge for endurance and longevity.

I have not handled the Cardiff as of yet, but that is one piece of work.

samgann93
12-22-2009, 02:45 PM

I heard the mirages were gonna be from 180-250 and the iron feathers would be 400+...

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

But the iron feathers will be cometition for a gloomis glx rod.

i excited to spend money!!!

whittier_brian
12-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Cool thank for all the help I am going to puck up the Stradic so thank you all for the help.

bsp
12-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Well Sam... they'll definitely be over $100. Iron Feathers... I can check if you guys want. I won't name a price until I am very sure about it, but I can be wrong. Again though, the rods aren't even out yet so pricing can change.

CKC, I think you hit the nail on the head with longevity. I think both reels would be fun to own, but I can't see myself dropping the cash on either (or a Stella). :LOL: I like the Cardiff a little bit more, but the Exist Native Custom is a sick reel too.

Liteliner
12-22-2009, 04:35 PM

Im not sure what the name of the rod was that I saw at Phenix when I went to pick up my swimmie rod from them at their office. One of the guys showed me a sick 9 ft rod. Super skinny tip that you could bend in a circle. Rated 2-8 lb line. Just an awesome rod. Theres only a couple of them so far. All test dummies. Those are the ones that would probably retail for 400 he said.

samgann93
12-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Well Sam... I have no idea where you heard that figure for the Mirages, but Phenix told me that they would be $230-$300. Iron Feathers... I can check if you guys want. I won't name a price until I am very sure about it. Again though, the rods aren't even out yet so pricing can change.

CKC, I think you hit the nail on the head with longevity. I think both reels would be fun to own, but I can't see myself dropping the cash on either (or a Stella). :LOL: I like the Cardiff a little bit more, but the Exist Native Custom is a sick reel too.

lol. no reason to get defensive. im just adding my 2cents of what i heard.

calm downnnnnnn........

samgann93
12-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Im not sure what the name of the rod was that I saw at Phenix when I went to pick up my swimmie rod from them at their office. One of the guys showed me a sick 9 ft rod. Super skinny tip that you could bend in a circle. Rated 2-8 lb line. Just an awesome rod. Theres only a couple of them so far. All test dummies. Those are the ones that would probably retail for 400 he said.

probably an iron feather.... i want one so bad. haha.

did u hear when they might be released?

Liteliner
12-22-2009, 04:54 PM
probably an iron feather.... i want one so bad. haha.

did u hear when they might be released?

Feb or March 2010.:Secret::Secret::Secret:

samgann93
12-22-2009, 05:14 PM
DARN. i guess itll be ready for the 2010-2011 trout season.

bsp
12-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Lol, sorry if it seemed like I was being defensive Sam. Didn't mean to. :Cool:

I'm not positive on the prices for the Mirages anymore, so forget whatever I said. I edited my previous post to reflect that. Iron feathers will be in the high end range for sure though. LL, that was an Iron Feather. The Mirages bend in a full circle too. Both are very sick rods.

samgann93
12-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Lol, sorry if it seemed like I was being defensive Sam. Didn't mean to. :Cool:

I'm not positive on the prices for the Mirages anymore, so forget whatever I said. Iron feathers will be in the high end range for sure though. LL, that was an Iron Feather. The Mirages bend in a full circle too. Both are very sick rods.

no worries dude. haha.

just a buncha guys drooling over rods. haha (rods is a poor choice of word in that spot) haha

bsp
12-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Definitely! :ROFL:

Just curious, what reels do you guys mostly use? I've got a Saros, but I've been seeing a lot of guys going with pricier reels (Stradic and up).

Hope the weather is good for this weekend so I can go trout fishing on Saturday.

samgann93
12-22-2009, 05:32 PM
ill be at corona on saturday hopefully.

i use a symetre and a custom reel... it does seem like more and more guys are getting higher end reels.

ill be buying a stella soonish...

bsp
12-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Check out the JDM Shimano Cardiff Area if you are going to drop that kind of money on a trout reel. I haven't used one myself, but they're designed for pay lake, artificial lure trout fishing in Japan.

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/product_info/language/en/products_id/7164/cardiff-area-1000pgs.html

Liteliner
12-22-2009, 05:49 PM
I was a big fan of the Quantum Energy Pti-A. They were about 160 back then. Had two of the 1000 size and they lasted me over 6 years. I finally got rid of them and picked up a new Energy Pti-B for $190. Its nice but the drag doesnt seem as good as the old model. Then the wife let me pick up a stella so I havent looked back...

Yo bsp is that JDM Shimano cardiff the same thing (internally)as the Stradic CI4? I was thinking of picking one up for dropshotting. It would match my shimano core 100 well.:LOL::LOL::LOL:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/lypeter23/8491680.jpg

bsp
12-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Going off of the description on plat, I'd go with the CI4 since they appear to be very similar. The Cardiff Area probably has a lot more of a smoother feel to it since it has more bearings and probably tighter tolerances being a JDM reel. The JDM and USDM feature names don't match up exactly, so that makes it a little more difficult. Like, I have no clue what Super SHIP means. The CI4 is have the price and has the same base internals, so it looks like the better buy.

If you have the cash though, I'd try the Cardiff or the Daiwa Presso spinning reel. An Exist Native Custom costs a lot more, but should be nicer than either of those two.

samgann93
12-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Check out the JDM Shimano Cardiff Area if you are going to drop that kind of money on a trout reel. I haven't used one myself, but they're designed for pay lake, artificial lure trout fishing in Japan.

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/product_info/language/en/products_id/7164/cardiff-area-1000pgs.html

that looks sweet. any reveiws on them?

bsp
12-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Sorry, none that I can find. It's a pretty new UL reel. There are a few reviews on the Presso spinning reel, and the people who have bought them seem to be very, very happy.

samgann93
12-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Sorry, none that I can find. It's a pretty new UL reel. There are a few reviews on the Presso spinning reel, and the people who have bought them seem to be very, very happy.

how much is the reel in $ not Yen

bsp
12-22-2009, 07:14 PM
The Presso is like $440 and the Cardiff Area is $455.

samgann93
12-22-2009, 07:24 PM
i think i might go with the stella. idk what the cardiff would have that the stella wouldnt... maybe im wrong???

calico killer kevin
12-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Stella is more expensive, a little uglier, doesn't have a cork knob, and isn't available in a shallow spool. But, the Cardiff will not come with a warranty.

AngryAgent
12-22-2009, 09:54 PM
JMO but I have been fishing Stellas for quite a few years since the original FA came out then to the FB and now the FD. Personally the FB is my favorite and fishes the best. I like the way it casts better and the silent drag. I have 3 FD's right now and I wish I could get new FB's.

On another note the Stradic FI vs the C14 and give me the FI all day long. Much smoother reel period, nuff said.

Sustain is a big step down from the Stella and yes I can tell a huge difference. I like the Stradic better then the Sustain as well just a really good reel with great drag and smooth smooth retrieve. Casts like a dream too.. Sustain is also a great reel don't get me wrong but for me the Stradic FI is it if it's not going to be the Stella.

Steez and Exist are also great options with the exist being the best of the whole bunch. The Exist is a notch above the Stella and if you fish Stella's and have fished one of these things you will see what I mean. A reel can only do so much so I understand the mentality of just buy something reasonably priced and it will do the trick just like any other reel but once you start to fish the higher end reels you won't go back because there really is a difference. I know I haven't given much explanation but it's something you just have to experience and then you will be able to tell for yourself.

#1)Exist
#2)Stella
#3)Steez

Like I said though just my opinion...

Ultralight
12-22-2009, 11:41 PM
I like the Daiwa Presso 1003.

UL

calico killer kevin
12-23-2009, 12:48 AM
JMO but I have been fishing Stellas for quite a few years since the original FA came out then to the FB and now the FD. Personally the FB is my favorite and fishes the best. I like the way it casts better and the silent drag. I have 3 FD's right now and I wish I could get new FB's.

On another note the Stradic FI vs the C14 and give me the FI all day long. Much smoother reel period, nuff said.

Sustain is a big step down from the Stella and yes I can tell a huge difference. I like the Stradic better then the Sustain as well just a really good reel with great drag and smooth smooth retrieve. Casts like a dream too.. Sustain is also a great reel don't get me wrong but for me the Stradic FI is it if it's not going to be the Stella.

Steez and Exist are also great options with the exist being the best of the whole bunch. The Exist is a notch above the Stella and if you fish Stella's and have fished one of these things you will see what I mean. A reel can only do so much so I understand the mentality of just buy something reasonably priced and it will do the trick just like any other reel but once you start to fish the higher end reels you won't go back because there really is a difference. I know I haven't given much explanation but it's something you just have to experience and then you will be able to tell for yourself.

#1)Exist
#2)Stella
#3)Steez

Like I said though just my opinion...
I'm interested in why you like the Stradic more than the Sustain. I assume price is not the issue since you did not mention it.

AngryAgent
12-23-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm interested in why you like the Stradic more than the Sustain. I assume price is not the issue since you did not mention it.

Price does factor in. You can spend less for a reel that packs the same punch with the exception of 2 less bearings. I have fished with both reels jigging for trout and the FI operates very smoothly and feels better casting, retrieving and bringing in fish. The extra bearings don't always measure up to make a better reel. Example: I have fished with the Quantum reels "Energy, Catalyst and Kinetic" and have owned all 3 and not one of them compare to the Shimano reels and it's not even close. The Energy and Catalyst both have more bearing then the FI and neither one of them performs as smoothly and flawlessly as the FI with less bearings. The one thing that the top end Q-reels do have that I like is the Titanium bail that snaps back when you bend it. I am not a shimano fan boy but more a fishing fanatic that is always looking for the best and for freshwater fishing these reels kick some ***!

whittier_brian
12-23-2009, 04:05 PM
I just got back from Fisherman’s Access with the STRADIC CI4 it was there last one lucky i got it.

calico killer kevin
12-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Price does factor in. You can spend less for a reel that packs the same punch with the exception of 2 less bearings. I have fished with both reels jigging for trout and the FI operates very smoothly and feels better casting, retrieving and bringing in fish. The extra bearings don't always measure up to make a better reel. Example: I have fished with the Quantum reels "Energy, Catalyst and Kinetic" and have owned all 3 and not one of them compare to the Shimano reels and it's not even close. The Energy and Catalyst both have more bearing then the FI and neither one of them performs as smoothly and flawlessly as the FI with less bearings. The one thing that the top end Q-reels do have that I like is the Titanium bail that snaps back when you bend it. I am not a shimano fan boy but more a fishing fanatic that is always looking for the best and for freshwater fishing these reels kick some ***!
Price aside, the Sustain has everything the FI has and more. I don't understand how it is possible that the Fi could be better than the Sustain.

vanillagurilla
12-23-2009, 04:52 PM
i guess you dont know till you use them both. i like the FI over the MGFB.

AngryAgent
12-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Price aside, the Sustain has everything the FI has and more. I don't understand how it is possible that the Fi could be better than the Sustain.

Quite simply put in my hands (for me) the FI fishes better. I like the overall feel better.