PDA

View Full Version : Business & Pleasure...

murrieta angler
12-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Had to go to Huntington Beach this morning at 9:00 to measure for a new shower enclosure for my wifes, co-workers daughter. So I decided that I might as well do a little fishing in O.C. and see what I could get.
Was out of the young ladies house by 9:45 and I shot down Brookhurst, hung a right at P.C.H. and was off to Bolsa Chica State Beach. As I walk up to the spot there is one person there fishing right where I wanted to fish, so I mosey on down about 50 feet and started throwing the LC 110 in zebra sardine.
I struck up a conversation with him and he says he's caught 7 halibuts in about 3 hours. I look at his set-up and it looks like he's using a 1oz pyramid
weight, with 4lb test coming off the weight at around 12" long. On the hook, maybe a 1/0, he has a dead anchovie. After 10 minutes I look over at him and he's got a hook-up. He reels it in and it's another dink halibut, according to him.
I just kept casting and retreiving, casting and retreiving and so on with no luck for about 45 minutes. I notice movement outta the side of my eye and he's hooked up again, a little bigger model this time. OK, when is it my turn!?
I decided to change up my LC and go with another sardine color except this one has a little yellow on the bottom of it. I cast for a few minutes and I get hit...:Smile: I continue for another 15 minutes when all of a sudden...

my button pops off of my favorite fishing shorts and my shorts fall down, thanks to the diet I have been on .....:EyePop:
So I go back to the truck, put on my swim trunks and head back to fish. When I get there the guy is leaving so I take his spot and after 4 casts I get a little 8-9 inch halibut..."WHEW" skunk off. I proceeded to fish for another 30 minutes and get 1 more halibut about 12 inches long.
I decided to head over to Seal Beach for a bit but after an hour I had no love so I went to meet up with my buddy Frank over at Belmont Shores by 72nd street. While I was waitng for him I decided to throw out into the harbor entrance for an hour and didn't get anything.
Frank finally shows up and we proceed to start at the harbor entrance and work our way over to the peir. After an hour or so Frank finally gets a 15-16 inch halibut and that was it for the day for both of us.
All in all, it was a beautiful day at the beach, 76 degrees, very little wind and a high tide of 5 at 10:00 am down to a negative 1 at 4:50 pm.
OH!!! When I was at Belmont Shores I got stung by something in the foot, while in the water, and the pain didn't subside till 3 hours later...:Angry:

I hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years...:Big Grin:

victor101
12-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the read... Ive personally have had more luck with the dropshot than the LC in the LbC area...

ghetto dad
12-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Had to go to Huntington Beach this morning at 9:00 to measure for a new shower enclosure for my wifes, co-workers daughter. So I decided that I might as well do a little fishing in O.C. and see what I could get.
Was out of the young ladies house by 9:45 and I shot down Brookhurst, hung a right at P.C.H. and was off to Bolsa Chica State Beach. As I walk up to the spot there is one person there fishing right where I wanted to fish, so I mosey on down about 50 feet and started throwing the LC 110 in zebra sardine.
I struck up a conversation with him and he says he's caught 7 halibuts in about 3 hours. I look at his set-up and it looks like he's using a 1oz pyramid
weight, with 4lb test coming off the weight at around 12" long. On the hook, maybe a 1/0, he has a dead anchovie. After 10 minutes I look over at him and he's got a hook-up. He reels it in and it's another dink halibut, according to him.
I just kept casting and retreiving, casting and retreiving and so on with no luck for about 45 minutes. I notice movement outta the side of my eye and he's hooked up again, a little bigger model this time. OK, when is it my turn!?
I decided to change up my LC and go with another sardine color except this one has a little yellow on the bottom of it. I cast for a few minutes and I get hit...:Smile: I continue for another 15 minutes when all of a sudden...

my button pops off of my favorite fishing shorts and my shorts fall down, thanks to the diet I have been on .....:EyePop:
So I go back to the truck, put on my swim trunks and head back to fish. When I get there the guy is leaving so I take his spot and after 4 casts I get a little 8-9 inch halibut..."WHEW" skunk off. I proceeded to fish for another 30 minutes and get 1 more halibut about 12 inches long.
I decided to head over to Seal Beach for a bit but after an hour I had no love so I went to meet up with my buddy Frank over at Belmont Shores by 72nd street. While I was waitng for him I decided to throw out into the harbor entrance for an hour and didn't get anything.
Frank finally shows up and we proceed to start at the harbor entrance and work our way over to the peir. After an hour or so Frank finally gets a 15-16 inch halibut and that was it for the day for both of us.
All in all, it was a beautiful day at the beach, 76 degrees, very little wind and a high tide of 5 at 10:00 am down to a negative 1 at 4:50 pm.
OH!!! When I was at Belmont Shores I got stung by something in the foot, while in the water, and the pain didn't subside till 3 hours later...:Angry:

I hope everyone has a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Years...:Big Grin:

Substitute that 1 oz with a spark plug, and it would sound like one of Victors or Hbombs cuzzins...:ROFL:

watch out for those rays in SB man..i got stung awhile back...lol IDK if you got stung by a ray...at least when i did, the pain lasted a lot longer than 3 hours....

GD

DockRat
12-20-2009, 05:30 AM
. I look at his set-up and it looks like he's using a 1oz pyramid
weight, with 4lb test coming off the weight at around 12" long. On the hook, maybe a 1/0, he has a dead anchovie.

4lb leader on the island ?

Bolsa Chica beame a Island when they installed the tidal flow inlet.
DR

NooB SaBass
12-20-2009, 12:18 PM
No pixs M.A.?! lol least u got to go out, im getting waders first lol

Wingnut
12-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Sounds like a pretty decent outing M.A. I've had Sting Rays jabbed me before... luckily, none have penetrated through my waders boots or booties. A couple of years ago, I pulled out a two inch barb out of my boots after I got home and was rinsing off my waders. :Shocked: Sorry for the unecessary pain, but it does come with the territory. :Wink: Thanks for the nice report. :Cool:

fishshep
12-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the Bolsa report!!!
Might try it out next week !!!:Smile:

murrieta angler
12-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the read... Ive personally have had more luck with the dropshot than the LC in the LbC area...

That was my first time fishing Long Beach. I will try again next month.
I'm gonna stick with the LC's for a while and after I've mastered em..:LOL:
I will try dropshotting from the surf...:Smile:

Have a Nice Christmas Victor

murrieta angler
12-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Substitute that 1 oz with a spark plug, and it would sound like one of Victors or Hbombs cuzzins...:ROFL:

watch out for those rays in SB man..i got stung awhile back...lol IDK if you got stung by a ray...at least when i did, the pain lasted a lot longer than 3 hours....

GD

Thanks for the read GD.
Yeah it hurt pretty bad, I wish I knew what it was...:Rolls Eyes:

Hope you and your family have a Nice Christmas.

murrieta angler
12-21-2009, 08:06 PM
4lb leader on the island ?

Bolsa Chica beame a Island when they installed the tidal flow inlet.
DR

I'm confused DockRat, I'm not sure what you mean...:???:

murrieta angler
12-21-2009, 08:08 PM
No pixs M.A.?! lol least u got to go out, im getting waders first lol

Sorry about the pics. I will post some next time I hit the surf for sure..:Smile:

Happy Holidays

murrieta angler
12-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Sounds like a pretty decent outing M.A. I've had Sting Rays jabbed me before... luckily, none have penetrated through my waders boots or booties. A couple of years ago, I pulled out a two inch barb out of my boots after I got home and was rinsing off my waders. :Shocked: Sorry for the unecessary pain, but it does come with the territory. :Wink: Thanks for the nice report. :Cool:

Thank You Arthur,
I remember seeing a picture you posted once with a barb. Good thing that wasn't your foot.

Hope you enjoy the Holidays and may The Lord Bless You..:Smile:

murrieta angler
12-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the Bolsa report!!!
Might try it out next week !!!:Smile:

No problem. Enjoy the Holidays..:Smile:

DockRat
12-22-2009, 06:18 AM
When they finished the tidal flow inlet at the HB side of Bolsa Chica @ PCH in 2006
the water flowed in and all the way around Bolsa Chica for the first time in a century.

From Warner to the New Tidal Inlet the ocean could now flow all the way around Bolsa Chica.

Re-creating 'Bolsa Chica Island'.

Nobody calls it Bolsa Chica Island I just liked tossing out a curve ball :LOL:

Here is a pic of 'Bolsa Chica Island'. Tidal flow Inlet (upper right)

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af331/nstoyanowski/bolsachica.jpg

In the summer of 2006 seawater flowed into the restored wetland for the first time in over 100 years. The Bolsa Chica wetland restoration was the largest coastal wetland restorations ever undertaken in Southern California

Once part of a 165,000 acre Spanish land grant, the Bolsa Chica presently consists of approximately 1550 acres of undeveloped coastal wetland and adjacent upland areas. Native Americans once lived on the upland mesas, gathering shellfish and other edibles from the wetlands. In 1900, the tidal nature of the wetland was essentially destroyed when the natural ocean inlet to the wetland was closed to improve duck hunting. Since then, the area has been used for agriculture, cattle grazing, military coastal artillery emplacements and oil production.

In 1973, as part of a controversial land swap, the State of California acquired approximately 300 acres of wetlands adjacent to Pacific Coast Highway. A portion of this was restored by the state in 1979 to become the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve. The remaining acreage was retained in private hands. Planning for the construction of a massive marina, commercial and residential development was quickly underway. The plan was drastically reduced in 1989 through the settlement of a lawsuit filed by the Amigos.
In 1997 the state acquired 880 acres of Bolsa Chica wetlands and another 41 acres was acquired in 2005, bringing public ownership of the Bolsa Chica to over 1200 acres. Wetland restoration of nearly 600 acres of Bolsa Chica was begun in 2004.

Check this site with nice pics of the tidal flow inlet grand opening in 2006

http://www.amigosdebolsachica.org/bolsa_chica_restoration/bolsa_chica_inlet_opening.htm

Here is another website with a list of all the fish species.

http://www.bolsachicarestoration.org/bolsa.php

Tell your gal your going to take her Island with a Beach, bring a Bikini.

'Bolsa Chica Island'.:ROFL:
DR

DockRat
12-22-2009, 06:54 AM
Use caution at Bolsa Chica Island ! This Ape has been seen Stalking and taking pics.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg255/keithmay/BolsaChica6.jpghttp://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg255/keithmay/Bigfootbirdwatching.jpg

DR :ROFL:

NooB SaBass
12-22-2009, 10:58 AM
hahahah freaken wow...
hey are there any fish in dem wetlands? Can u fish em? I saw one in Carlsbad yesterday,its the salt river/ basin that runs the 76/pala into oceanside...

murrieta angler
12-23-2009, 09:52 AM
When they finished the tidal flow inlet at the HB side of Bolsa Chica @ PCH in 2006
the water flowed in and all the way around Bolsa Chica for the first time in a century.

From Warner to the New Tidal Inlet the ocean could now flow all the way around Bolsa Chica.

Re-creating 'Bolsa Chica Island'.

Nobody calls it Bolsa Chica Island I just liked tossing out a curve ball :LOL:

Here is a pic of 'Bolsa Chica Island'. Tidal flow Inlet (upper right)

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af331/nstoyanowski/bolsachica.jpg

In the summer of 2006 seawater flowed into the restored wetland for the first time in over 100 years. The Bolsa Chica wetland restoration was the largest coastal wetland restorations ever undertaken in Southern California

Once part of a 165,000 acre Spanish land grant, the Bolsa Chica presently consists of approximately 1550 acres of undeveloped coastal wetland and adjacent upland areas. Native Americans once lived on the upland mesas, gathering shellfish and other edibles from the wetlands. In 1900, the tidal nature of the wetland was essentially destroyed when the natural ocean inlet to the wetland was closed to improve duck hunting. Since then, the area has been used for agriculture, cattle grazing, military coastal artillery emplacements and oil production.

In 1973, as part of a controversial land swap, the State of California acquired approximately 300 acres of wetlands adjacent to Pacific Coast Highway. A portion of this was restored by the state in 1979 to become the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve. The remaining acreage was retained in private hands. Planning for the construction of a massive marina, commercial and residential development was quickly underway. The plan was drastically reduced in 1989 through the settlement of a lawsuit filed by the Amigos.
In 1997 the state acquired 880 acres of Bolsa Chica wetlands and another 41 acres was acquired in 2005, bringing public ownership of the Bolsa Chica to over 1200 acres. Wetland restoration of nearly 600 acres of Bolsa Chica was begun in 2004.

Check this site with nice pics of the tidal flow inlet grand opening in 2006

http://www.amigosdebolsachica.org/bolsa_chica_restoration/bolsa_chica_inlet_opening.htm

Here is another website with a list of all the fish species.

http://www.bolsachicarestoration.org/bolsa.php

Tell your gal your going to take her Island with a Beach, bring a Bikini.

'Bolsa Chica Island'.:ROFL:
DR

That's a cool story and very informative. I appreciate the time you spent typing it up and will forward this to my Father, who is a "HUGE" outdoorsman and fan of knowledge..:Big Grin:
Thanks Again, Robert

murrieta angler
12-23-2009, 09:54 AM
use caution at bolsa chica island ! This ape has been seen stalking and taking pics.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg255/keithmay/bolsachica6.jpghttp://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg255/keithmay/bigfootbirdwatching.jpg

dr :rofl:

gooney goo-goo!!!!:rofl: