PDA

View Full Version : Oink!

City Dad
12-19-2009, 01:57 PM
I haven't been able to get down the beach for a while (I think the last time was at Hunting Giants!)
Anyhow, I figured my cryptozoological pursuits wouldn't suffer too much from a day off, so I got up early this morning and headed for the surf.
Stopped first to pick some bait off the rocks in SAMO. I hadn't bothered to look at any swell charts, and the surf was - if you'll pardon the scientific jargon - danm BIG. Since there was no chance of getting to the rocks with the bigger molusks without a helecopter, I settled for a bag of thumb-sized filter-feeders.
I went north from the Charthouse and found pretty clean water with a south-west current.
At my first stop I found a nice littel bite. Not wide open, but enough to keep my attention.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG5587.jpg
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG5588.jpg
On my way to the next spot, I stopped to chat with a few fellow pescadoros. They all reported pretty slow action on they were using Crack, so either the mussles were the better bait this morning or I just got lucky.
I debated even going to my next spot - the combination of pumping surf and high tide can make that place kindda trecherous... but, then I thought to myself "City, Dad, what would Bigfoot do." And I said back to myself "Dang, City Dad, the way Bigfoot would see it is 'GAAAARRRGLLLLLE! Me down here at beach with big bunch of mussle. Me think me better at least use 'em all up and not waste. GRAAAARRFFFF!'" So that's what I decided to do. And it worked out pretty nicely.
That last hole was wide-open. None of the mussles I tosse out came back in. Mostly fish in the size-range picutred above, and then this beach babe.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb225/timmeinhart/CIMG5591.jpg
After I ran out of mussles I switched to the crack and kept hooking up until it was time to go home.

vanillagurilla
12-19-2009, 02:29 PM
nice job city dad. gosh i havent been down to the surf in a while. might have to go next week b4 i gota spend $50 on a new lisence lol. thats a pig BSP you got. i think the biggest one i got was 10" but i got 17 legals this year. my rotator cuff was sore for a while throwing the LC.

hamneggs
12-19-2009, 04:06 PM
That is a monster size perch. A lot of surf-fishermen don't get to see slabs that large. Sounds like you had a good day out in the surf, regardless of the pounding surf. Thanks for the report!

fishshep
12-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the report cuz not even fifteen minutes
ago I was gettin somethin out of the fridge and was
lookin at all the frozen (in bottles) BIG FAT LIP MUSSELS !!!
I still have and did not use yet !!!! :LOL: Now I have to use
them cuz of your report :Wink:

victor101
12-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Wow...that is one big perch in the last pic..Thanks for posting

Wingnut
12-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Whew! For a second there, I thought I owed you a steak dinner. :ROFL:
Remember Tim, we have a ongoing bet... first one to catch a 16" Perch first. :Wink: That's a PIG! :Envious:
I'm going to try and pop out there somewhere tomorrow for a couple of hours... depending on how I feel tonight after the Xmas party. :LOL:

DEADROOTS
12-19-2009, 07:43 PM
That's an Oinker for sure! Good job!

greg
12-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Nice, fat slab !!!

Keep postin'...

murrieta angler
12-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Nice!!!
That was bigger than the 2 halibut I cought today down at Bolsa Chica.

DockRat
12-20-2009, 05:42 AM
Whew! For a second there, I thought I owed you a steak dinner. :ROFL:
Remember Tim, we have a ongoing bet... first one to catch a 16" Perch first. :Wink: That's a PIG! :Envious:
I'm going to try and pop out there somewhere tomorrow for a couple of hours... depending on how I feel tonight after the Xmas party. :LOL:

Looks like the tape is short at the tail. Could be 16" ? http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii132/tolkienlewisfan/Stock/pig_av_1.png Nice Piggy DR

NooB SaBass
12-20-2009, 12:22 PM
That there's a beast...:Big Grin:
Good catch's it sounds like all around though...

fishmounter
12-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I'll bet with her tail closed, she will make 16 inches. A pig perch for sure! You guys have to remember that.... fish measure longer with a closed, relaxed Caudal Fin. (tail) Steak dinner time Wingnut!

Wingnut
12-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Looks like the tape is short at the tail. Could be 16" ? http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii132/tolkienlewisfan/Stock/pig_av_1.png Nice Piggy DR

Yeah, I'll bet with her tail closed, she will make 16 inches. A pig perch for sure! You guys have to remember that.... fish measure longer with a closed, relaxed Caudal Fin. (tail) Steak dinner time Wingnut!

You guys are right! Looks like a 16 incher to me. Tim, let me know when you want to collect on our bet. :Envious:

City Dad
12-20-2009, 08:02 PM
huh, I thought our deal was first guy with an 18" tilapia, Art... but I'll take a steak dinner by hook or by crook:Wink:

Wingnut
12-22-2009, 09:14 PM
huh, I thought our deal was first guy with an 18" tilapia, Art... but I'll take a steak dinner by hook or by crook:Wink:

You got it Tim... after the Holidays you will join Dana & I for a steak & lobster dinner at The Ramp in Burbank. :Cool:
Did I mention we know the mayor of Burbank...? :ROFL:

sansou
12-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Good looking squawfish!

Happy Holidays!